Solar viewing question.

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Solar viewing question.

Post by Jnicholes »

Hi everyone,

So, I received my solar filter in the mail today. Unfortunately, my mount broke last night, so I’m waiting for a new one. Until then, I can’t use my new solar filter or my telescope.

I did test the filter by holding it up to the sun. It works. No damage on it.

I have a concern I would like to ask about. I know solar viewing requires special equipment, which I now have. However, what I’m concerned about is my telescope getting too hot from looking at the sun. I have an 80 mm refractor with a 900 mm focal length.

Is the telescope overheating a problem I should worry about? If it is, how do I prevent it or minimize it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jared
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Solar viewing question.

Post by KingNothing13 »

I suspect you are more likely to overheat than the telescope, assuming you have the filter on the objective properly.

It is *probably* not an issue - but others who know more may provide a more informed answer.

I have a filter for my AD10, I have not used it much, but have never had a problem when I have.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

An aperture filter that rejects enough incoming radiation to protect your eye will also protect the scope.

I think that some places still sell eyepiece -mounted solar filters. These are dangerous and their sale should be prosecuted as criminal negligence. In addition to destroying your eyesight, they will allow the scope to overheat and are likely to damage cemented lens combinations.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

image.jpg
This is not what you’re talking about, right? I’ve heard about the dangers of using Eyepiece filters, so I got an aperture filter.

Fits over the front of my scope perfectly.
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Jnicholes wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:35 pm Image

This is not what you’re talking about, right? I’ve heard about the dangers of using Eyepiece filters, so I got an aperture filter.

Fits over the front of my scope perfectly.
You're safe with that one. That is an aperture filter that fits over the front element of the scope. The only issue you will have is the tripod,mount and scope getting warm, possibly hot to the touch but not likely to get hot enough to damage anything. I have a dedicated Ha solar scope but use it on my regular mount and tripod. It does get hot enough that I can barely touch the metal legs of the tripod and the mount does get warm, but no damage.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi Jared,

I as well have an 80mm at 900mm f/l, and have been out for upwards of an hour with it, and never a problem. Everything from my DSLR to my eyeballs works great with it and never an overheating issue.

And welcome to the world of solar! :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

I never had any issues, although I once read a post wondering if excessive heat to an SCT/Mak could hurt it's lubrication.

I never had any issues with mine though.
I have had my Mak at the beach as a spotter during the day many times spotting ships off the horizon.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Baurice »

WARNING: Solar viewing is very addictive. Victims can spend zillions of pounds/dollars/euros/etc on solar narrowband gear. In extreme cases, victims have been known to lose interest in the night sky.

I have been using filters since 2001 and been OK.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Baurice wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:45 pm WARNING: Solar viewing is very addictive. Victims can spend zillions of pounds/dollars/euros/etc on solar narrowband gear. In extreme cases, victims have been known to lose interest in the night sky.

I have been using filters since 2001 and been OK.
😆
So true!

I am out a lot more looking at the Sun than the night sky, yes I am becoming a solar head!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D