Is there any point due to light pollution where averted vision becomes ineffective?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
realflow100 United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Is there any point due to light pollution where averted vision becomes ineffective?

Post by realflow100 »

Even when I know what and where to look for something for example a faint star
I see almost no difference with averted vs direct vision. even on a perfectly clear moonless night (I'm wearing glasses now so I should technically have 20/20 vision or very close to 20/20 vision)
when looking at the faintest stars I can see
Most of those stars are around magnitude 4 to 4.5 are the faintest ones i can see. I'm almost certain i'm in at least bortle 8 to 9
as soon as im able to see it I can lock my eyes onto it and see it almost just as well with direct vision.
The most gain in averted vision is possibly 0.1 to 0.2 magnitude difference in the faintest thing i can see.
The only time ive noticed any increase in difference is when using a telescope and looking at faint fuzzys like orion nebula. or one of the nebulas near the core of the milkyway. like lagoon nebula. or m22 but theres still only a tiny difference. nothing more than a percent or 2 more than what i can see with direct vision

I also don't see any gains in dark adaptation after about 5 minutes even with the best observing location I can get.
upstairs 2nd bedroom with the window open and crouched down low or sitting down. lining the window frame with black trash bags and black electrical tape to remove any glare or glow from streetlights outside. and prevent them from reflecting off the white window frame interior.
Standing outside anywhere in a mile radius is worse because i have nothing to block off the glare in multiple directions at once.
I can very clearly see the color of the sky at night on a perfectly clear moonless night. it matches what a long exposure photo looks like. a brown orange-red-yellow color which looks really ugly.
The sky near where the full moon is is a more blue-white color. so I can see a noticable difference.

Also if I track a magnitude 1 or 2 star as morning is coming It never completely disappears just becomes harder and harder to find and lock my eyes onto it to see it.
If I keep my eyes locked focused on it I can still see it for a long time as the sun gets closer and closer to the horizon. only becoming unable to see if I lose track of the star unable to lock my eyes onto it after a certain point. it just looks smaller and smaller instead of fainter. like it looks like a smaller point thats harder to spot. instead of just disappearing after a certain point.
after enough time i just cant find it anymore. its like its just too small to see. rather than too faint?
with binoculars I can still see the star even when the sun is about 5 degrees below the horizon! On the same side of the sky where the sun is rising from as well.
Svbony SV503 70mm ED F6 420mm FL refractor telescope (New)
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-F6.3 II VC lens
canon 50mm STM F1.8
svbony 8-24mm zoom eyepiece
svbony goldline 66 degree 9mm and 6mm + 40mm plossl + 2x barlow.
svbony UHC 1.25 filter + astromania 1.25" O-3 filter + also an svbony H-B filter.
Ruud
Orion Spur Ambassador

Re: Is there any point due to light pollution where averted vision becomes ineffective?

Post by Ruud »

Averted vision works better for nebulae and other faint fuzzies than for stars.

I think this is because off-axis, they eye really doesn't focus very well at all. Fuzzies are spread out to begin with, so a bit of blur doesn't make much difference. This is why they can benefit from the higher sensitivity of the rods in the retina.

Stars really benefit from from being properly focused, when all their light is concentrated on a single receptor (or a very small group of them), thus having more change to trigger a nerve impulse.

Just guessing of course.
7x50 Helios Apollo 8x42 Bresser Everest 73mm f/5.9 WO APO 4" f/5 TeleVue Genesis 6" f/10 Celestron 6SE 0.63x reducer 1.8, 2, 2.5 and 3x Barlows eyepieces from 4.5 to 34mm
John Fitzgerald United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Is there any point due to light pollution where averted vision becomes ineffective?

Post by John Fitzgerald »

I find, the brighter the sky background, the less effective averted vision becomes. I have used av to detect fairly wide, faint companions of not so bright double stars. It won't work much to detect faint companions of bright stars.
Double and multiple star observer. Over 3,500 unique pairs logged.

No good deed goes unpunished.
realflow100 United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

Not doing any double star stuff. can barely see normal stars as it is.
Svbony SV503 70mm ED F6 420mm FL refractor telescope (New)
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-F6.3 II VC lens
canon 50mm STM F1.8
svbony 8-24mm zoom eyepiece
svbony goldline 66 degree 9mm and 6mm + 40mm plossl + 2x barlow.
svbony UHC 1.25 filter + astromania 1.25" O-3 filter + also an svbony H-B filter.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

For averted vision to be effective your eyes need to be dark adapted. If your sky is bright and there are other sources of light around your eyes can't gain dark adaptation and the effect of averted vision is limited.

However, if you block the stray light at the EP (placing towel or hood over your head while observing) you could still use averted vision at the EP.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257