Question about Comets

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Question about Comets

Post by Jnicholes »

Hi,

I have an interesting situation. I have two interns from Japan, (twins,) staying with me for a while for an internship. They are interested in Astronomy. One of them said that they have NEVER seen a comet. I want to try to find one to show them.

Heres the question, are there any Comets in the sky currently that are visible through a telescope given my location?

For the sake of accuracy, My location is Dietrich, Idaho, USA.

Jared
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Question about Comets

Post by Bigzmey »

C/2020 T2 (Palomar) would be a good target to try. It should be visible as faint fuzzy oval no tail.

Here is finder chart

https://cometchasing.skyhound.com/comets/2020_T2.pdf
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2407, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: Question about Comets

Post by Graeme1858 »

Jnicholes wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:18 pm Heres the question, are there any Comets in the sky currently that are visible through a telescope given my location?

Here's top of the list from https://in-the-sky.org/data/comets Peaks on the 8th July.

Left click for clarity.

Capture.JPG

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/