First telescope advice please

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: First telescope advice please

Post by GCoyote »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:58 am ...

For a binocular holder I would avoid the plastic ones that have been shown previously and look at one of these: https://agenaastro.com/farpoint-far-sig ... acket.html
A bit more expensive but will handle any set that you want to mount on it as well as a red dot finder.
It will also last a lifetime of use.
Now that is interesting. I might have to try to replicate that.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I have this, but I'm not sure if FLO has it.
https://www.astroshop.eu/adaptors/omego ... al-/p,4983
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

With the Farpoint you can mount a finder and it is the sturdiest one I have used.
All of the single post ones vibrate to a certain degree as there is not any real stability other than straight down.
https://www.astroshop.eu/adaptors/farpo ... nt/p,16360
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

turboscrew wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:06 pm I have this, but I'm not sure if FLO has it.
https://www.astroshop.eu/adaptors/omego ... al-/p,4983
Wow. That is spooky :eek:

Just this afternoon I ordered the very same model of binocular adaptor from Firstlight Optics for the price of £11.00.

Great minds think alike I reckon :lol:
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:58 am(...)For the eye/ brain to see a significant difference you need around a 20mm jump in aperture so you should be looking at a 100mm-102mm refractor.
If you want a sky sweeper then a short tube will do well, if more for planetary/ lunar/ double stars I would be looking at f/7 or slower. (...)
My thoughts exactly. The slower one can do a lot of sweeping too, no problem. With the right eyepiece a f/9 can cover fields more than two degrees easily. There are few DSO's that are much bigger than that, and if so they are great targets for your Nikon telescope at low magnification too.
For the wanted upgrade you more or less described it is time for the bigger lens.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Don Alvarez
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Don Alvarez »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:58 amPersonally I would love to rid the world of ST80s but that is just my opinion. ;)
What!?!? Rid the world of its most glorious invention since mankind decided to take a blade to a loaf of bread? Thats a bit rash... :lol:
Telescopes: 10" SkyLine Dobsonian, 6" Apertura F5 Newt, Celestron Nextar GT90, Meade Infinity 80
EP: 5.5mm, 8.8mm, 14mm, 20mm, 24mm Meade 5000 UWA's, BCO's w/ Q-Turret, 26mm, 32mm, 40mm Meade 4000 Plossls, Orion Expanse, 30mm, 20mm, 15mm GSO Superview, Various others.
Binocs: 15x70 Celestron Skymaster, 10x50 Levenhuk Karma Pro, 10x42 Bushnell, 8x42 Sans & Streiffe
Mounts: Meade LX70 with dual axis motors, Celestron GT, More miscellaneous tripods than a Martian invasion.

"The heavens themselves, the planets, and this center observe degree, priority, and place,
Insisture, course, proportion, season, form, office, and custom, in all line of order.”
ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ARock »

Does the spotting scope have a rotating diagonal (probably not) or can the OTA be rotated with respect to the dovetail (tripod attachment)?
If not, an EQ mount is not a good idea, as the eyepiece view will be at odd angles depending on where you point in the sky.

Given that you have a 80mm ED,if you still want another portable scope, something like a AWB Onesky, or Skywatcher Heritage 130 a collapsible tabletop reflector might be another option. It does need a table, but you can use a folding stool for that purpose.
Last edited by ARock on Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AR
Scopes: Zhumell Z8, Meade Adventure 80mm, Bushnell 1300x100 Goto Mak.
Mount: ES EXOS Nano EQ Mount, DIY Arduino+Stepper drives.
AP: 50mm guidescope, AR0130 based guidecam, Canon T3i, UHC filter.
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Ditto about the nice 80 mm that you have already. If your goal is to see the constellations you need an even wider field scope so think 50 or 60 mm. The 102 mm would be better for DSOs and some planets (but that's a very limited goal, just 2 basically and not now). The field scope will work nicely on the Tiltall that I recommended earlier. For constellations and wide field motorized tracking is not that important. If your goal is simplicity and not DSOs as you mentioned, the 102 mm or higher is probably not what you want. Though I would encourage you to try it, on a motorized mount.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

ARock wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:08 pm Does the spotting scope have a rotating diagonal (probably not) or can the OTA be rotated with respect to the dovetail (tripod attachment)?
If not, an EQ mount is not a good idea, as the eyepiece view will be at odd angles depending on where you point in the sky.

Given that you have a 80mm ED,if you still want another portable scope, something like a AWB Onesky, or Skywatcher Heritage 130 a collapsible tabletop reflector might be another option. It does need a table, but you can use a folding stool for that purpose.
The eyepieces are fixed. One of them is straight, the other is 45 degrees.

The info regarding the OTA I didn't understand at all :veryconfused:

Basically, we are quite happy just using the fieldscopes as they are without needing to have any sky tracking attachments for them.

If we eventually decide to go for a proper telescope then we may then consider some form of EQ or Alt-Az mount.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ARock »

On EQ mounts diagonal EPs can sometimes point towards the ground depending on where you are pointed at the sky.
You need to either be able to rotate the diagonal to make it point up, and if that is not possible rotate the scope to have the EP point up.

If you have a detachable 45 degree EP, it is likely that you can rotate the diagonal EP.

Do you know if normal astro 1.25" EPs can be used with the scope, maybe with an adapter?
AR
Scopes: Zhumell Z8, Meade Adventure 80mm, Bushnell 1300x100 Goto Mak.
Mount: ES EXOS Nano EQ Mount, DIY Arduino+Stepper drives.
AP: 50mm guidescope, AR0130 based guidecam, Canon T3i, UHC filter.
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Thank you for the advice you have offered so far, much of which I don't fully understand.

However, we primarily use the scopes for birdwatching so we don't really want to be adapting them for anything else. Having to change the setup each time from one session to the other would not be useful for us.

We are able to get good views of the sky with those scopes set up as they are, so we are quite happy with them.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Hi Vanessa, If you have a program like Stellarium on your PC or other device, you can see simulated views of different celestial objects for various telescope and eyepiece combinations. That might help you to estimate how much scope you need for your next upgrade. I'm playing with it now and it allows me pick from a menu of common scopes and eyepieces or set up my own.

Good luck and clear skies!
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

GCoyote wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:53 pm Hi Vanessa, If you have a program like Stellarium on your PC or other device, you can see simulated views of different celestial objects for various telescope and eyepiece combinations. That might help you to estimate how much scope you need for your next upgrade. I'm playing with it now and it allows me pick from a menu of common scopes and eyepieces or set up my own.

Good luck and clear skies!
Hi Gary, I did actually download Stellarium onto my smartphone a couple of weeks ago, after seeing it mentioned several times on here.

I haven't had chance to really look at it yet though. Work plus other things have kept me busy, but I will get around to it at some point :roll:
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Hi Vanessa, lot's of good advice so far. i have to agree with Andrey that the ST80 (I have one) won't do any better, probably worse than the spotting scopes you already have. As I was reading those recommendations, I was thinking, haven't they seen your sig. The ST80 is a decent spotting scope. Quite good for a low power scanning of the Milky Way but very average for viewing the Moon. I'd suggest you also consider, as nFA suggested, a Maksutov or SCT. They are short, light very portable and the smaller ones can be plopped on a camera tripod or a telescope mounting.

The VMC110 that nFA mentioned have a good rep, though I've never personally seen through one. I have an Orion Apex 102 which is also excellent and very cheap at around USD260 and light at only 2.5 kg. It sits easily on a decent photographic tripod like a Manfrotto 090 with an 804 head. I assume the Orion Apex 127 is probably equally good quality and value at USD400 although I have not looked through one. They are a bit heavier at 4kg and would definitely need a telescope mount.

If you want to stay very portable, I would think you could look at any Mak or SCT up to 5 inch aperture. These scopes are also OK for planet viewing. Jupiter and Saturn are well south in declination at the moment so it will be a few years before you can see them high in the north sky from your latitude. These scopes are long focal length and are more forgiving of eyepiece designs so you can use cheaper eyepiece designs without too much loss of definition.

I would also echo the point that was made earlier by others that you don't need an equatorial mounting to track. So many beginners get confused doing polar alignment. I am not familiar with the ALT AZ mounts that have been mentioned so I'll bow to the experience of those that recommended them.

Good luck
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Thank you Joe.

Yourself, and a few others, have kept the advice to me very simple. That is great, as I and not very technically minded and a lot of the astronomy terminology goes way over my head. It gets really confusing at times.

I had to feel a little sorry for our member Arock. He was trying so hard to be helpful to get my Nikon Fieldscope adapted for sky viewing, but that wasn't what I was looking for. As it is, the scope does a great job for viewing the Moon and nearby Constellations, but I still just wanted to take it out for our birdwatching sessions, without having to alter the configuration of the scope every time.

As our Fieldscope has been regarded by lots of members here as a good quality optical device for astronomy, then we will continue to use it as such alongside our birdwatching sessions. If, some time in the future, we eventually decide to go for a telescope to view more distant objects then we will use the advice we have been given so far.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

Hi there,

I’m glad you’re getting a lot of help. Currently, my refractor‘s mount is broken. I can’t exactly do astronomy until I get a new one. Until then, I thought I’d come here and help you out a little bit with what you need.

What was it you were looking for again? Was it a scope or binoculars? I can’t seem to remember.
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Jnicholes wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:57 pm Hi there,

I’m glad you’re getting a lot of help. Currently, my refractor‘s mount is broken. I can’t exactly do astronomy until I get a new one. Until then, I thought I’d come here and help you out a little bit with what you need.

What was it you were looking for again? Was it a scope or binoculars? I can’t seem to remember.
Originally, I was looking for a light-weight and easily transportable telescope, mainly for viewing the Moon and nearby Constellations.

If you check out my Signature, you will see the optics I currently own. Several members noticed the Nikon Fieldscope which has an 80mm lens, and said that it was essentially as good as, or if not better than, an 80mm telescope.

That pretty much changed my decision to not continue looking for a telescope at the moment. Basically, I had the equipment to view the sky objects that we are interested in.

So for now, I have made a note of the advice I have been given for any future purchase of a larger telescope to view more distant objects.

I am really grateful for the advice offered so far, from our super brilliant members :romance-grouphug:

Thank you for the offer to help, but for now I think I am okay :smile:
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Don Alvarez wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:13 pm
Lady Fraktor wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:58 amPersonally I would love to rid the world of ST80s but that is just my opinion. ;)
What!?!? Rid the world of its most glorious invention since mankind decided to take a blade to a loaf of bread? Thats a bit rash... :lol:
I already call refractors that, a ST80 is half a set of binoculars and then they charge you more because they call it a refractor. :D
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:31 am
Jnicholes wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:57 pm Hi there,

Originally, I was looking for a light-weight and easily transportable telescope, mainly for viewing the Moon and nearby Constellations.

If you check out my Signature, you will see the optics I currently own. Several members noticed the Nikon Fieldscope which has an 80mm lens, and said that it was essentially as good as, or if not better than, an 80mm telescope.

That pretty much changed my decision to not continue looking for a telescope at the moment. Basically, I had the equipment to view the sky objects that we are interested in.

So for now, I have made a note of the advice I have been given for any future purchase of a larger telescope to view more distant objects.

I am really grateful for the advice offered so far, from our super brilliant members :romance-grouphug:

Thank you for the offer to help, but for now I think I am okay :smile:
Understood, glad you got the help you needed.
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
Don Alvarez
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Don Alvarez »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:53 pm I already call refractors that, a ST80 is half a set of binoculars and then they charge you more because they call it a refractor. :D
Harsh, milady.
morpheus.jpg
borrowing that logic, that a motorcycle is just half of an automobile? :animals-dogrun:
Telescopes: 10" SkyLine Dobsonian, 6" Apertura F5 Newt, Celestron Nextar GT90, Meade Infinity 80
EP: 5.5mm, 8.8mm, 14mm, 20mm, 24mm Meade 5000 UWA's, BCO's w/ Q-Turret, 26mm, 32mm, 40mm Meade 4000 Plossls, Orion Expanse, 30mm, 20mm, 15mm GSO Superview, Various others.
Binocs: 15x70 Celestron Skymaster, 10x50 Levenhuk Karma Pro, 10x42 Bushnell, 8x42 Sans & Streiffe
Mounts: Meade LX70 with dual axis motors, Celestron GT, More miscellaneous tripods than a Martian invasion.

"The heavens themselves, the planets, and this center observe degree, priority, and place,
Insisture, course, proportion, season, form, office, and custom, in all line of order.”