Unusual beginners question

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Unusual beginners question

Post by Jnicholes »

Hi everyone,

So, I have an unusual question about astronomy. Before I ask the question, let me tell you what my equipment is.

I have an 80 mm refractor with a 900 mm focal length. It’s a goto telescope with tracking. The lowest powered eyepiece I have is 21 mm.

I have a goal to get a picture of all planets, including Pluto, the dwarf planet. I know that Pluto is a 14th magnitude object in the sky. I have a phone with a very high exposure camera, that also allows me to do long exposures with tracking.

Keep in mind, I once did track Pluto in a 10” dobsonian. I know how to do it. I lost the photos.

Here is my question. Given my equipment, is it possible to see Pluto through my telescope?

If not, I’ll settle for everything up to Neptune.

Jared
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Unusual beginners question

Post by MistrBadgr »

Hi Jared,

I am not an expert related to Pluto by any means, but here is what I have been told: Some people have seen the little white dot of Pluto with an eight inch scope. Many more have seen it with larger. Judging by what I have been able to see with a 60mm refractor that other people said I could not, if someone with really good eyes and really knows that they are doing told me they had at least gotten a blinking glimpse of Pluto with a six inch scope, I would choose to believe them. Whether they actually did or simply thought they did....I would not judge.

I have seen an image that a gentleman sent me at one time where he had imaged Pluto with a Meade 80mm f/5 refractor ETX, using his slr camera.

Hope this helps! :)
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

Thanks for getting back. Sounds like it is possible, but difficult. I think I’ll give it a shot near the next new moon.

Jared
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ARock »

I have imaged pluto with my ST80 clone on a EXOS Nano EQ mount with a DSLR. I have added guiding to my EQ mount, which lets me take long exposure photos.

I stacked 3x5 min exposures for pluto and even then it was barely visible. The difficulty is proving that one of the dots you see is pluto. You might be mistaking it for another Mag 14 star nearby.

If you can image it on multiple nights with the exact same framing, you could see it move by animating the two pics.

If you only have a single night's image, be sure to note down the exact RA Dec of pluto at the time you took the images. You can use platesolving tools to figure out/mark the RA Dec of pluto on the image. Not easy but possible.

It was one of the most challenging projects I have done.

You could try to take a long exposure (as long as possible) on your phone. Look at the image and try to figure out the mag of the faintest stars in your image. That will tell you if imaging pluto is possible.
AR
Scopes: Zhumell Z8, Meade Adventure 80mm, Bushnell 1300x100 Goto Mak.
Mount: ES EXOS Nano EQ Mount, DIY Arduino+Stepper drives.
AP: 50mm guidescope, AR0130 based guidecam, Canon T3i, UHC filter.
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

If condition were good you can view Uranus and Neptune but not enough aperture/ resolution for Pluto.
The current magnitude of Pluto is 14.33 so out of reach of a 80mm.
Click on Pluto current position for more information.

https://theskylive.com/pluto-tracker
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Jnicholes wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:13 pm Here is my question. Given my equipment, is it possible to see Pluto through my telescope? If not, I’ll settle for everything up to Neptune. Jared
Well, it is still a very worthy project. I look forward to your results. 80mm refractors are commonly popular for this kind of project and I find that especially encouraging.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

It partially depends on whether your mount will support a DSLR camera. Alternatively, you can use a CCD imager if your budget allows. The maximum exposure you can get undriven is about half a second, nowhere near enough. i would suggest a minimum of a minute, probably much longer.
Don Alvarez
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Don Alvarez »

The only way you'd know for sure, is probably to take pictures on successive nights. That way you'd see it moving against the backdrop of stars.
Telescopes: 10" SkyLine Dobsonian, 6" Apertura F5 Newt, Celestron Nextar GT90, Meade Infinity 80
EP: 5.5mm, 8.8mm, 14mm, 20mm, 24mm Meade 5000 UWA's, BCO's w/ Q-Turret, 26mm, 32mm, 40mm Meade 4000 Plossls, Orion Expanse, 30mm, 20mm, 15mm GSO Superview, Various others.
Binocs: 15x70 Celestron Skymaster, 10x50 Levenhuk Karma Pro, 10x42 Bushnell, 8x42 Sans & Streiffe
Mounts: Meade LX70 with dual axis motors, Celestron GT, More miscellaneous tripods than a Martian invasion.

"The heavens themselves, the planets, and this center observe degree, priority, and place,
Insisture, course, proportion, season, form, office, and custom, in all line of order.”
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

OK everyone,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I decided I’m going to attempt it. I don’t think I will succeed, but in six days, I am going to attempt to track Pluto for two days, if the sky conditions permit. Currently cloudy right now.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead