Prime astronomy location

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Prime astronomy location

Post by Jnicholes »

Hi everyone,

Haven’t been on for a while, a lot going on. I believe I finally fixed my telescope goto mount. Turns out I’ve been aligning it to the wrong stars. It throws everything off. I’m going to test and see if I can get it to work properly by aligning it to Polaris and Vega, on Tuesday or Wednesday when my new eyepiece comes in the mail.

Anyway, that’s not why I am posting. I moved recently, out into a small town in east Idaho. One night I woke up and decided to go outside and see what the stars were like at 2:30 in the morning.

I could see the Milky Way arm faintly, FROM MY HOUSE!

Dude, I’m in prime astronomy country! I can’t wait for my eyepiece to come in the mail so I can try out an astronomy session here at this new house.

I also ordered an eyepiece phone adapter, so I could take pictures.

I will keep you all up-to-date what happens with my telescope and the session.

Good to be back here.

Jared
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Prime astronomy location

Post by helicon »

Great Jared - enjoy the darker skies!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

Jared,
You sound excited! :lol:
Congrats on your new residence with nicer observing conditions! From my backyard in a residential area a few miles outside Casa Grande, AZ, I see the darkest skies after midnight. Last night at 2:00 AM, I stepped outside and looked up to the sky as I usually do before bedtime. (I don't usually stay up after midnight unless I'm observing through the telescope, but last night was an exception.)

Anyway, I should have because I could see a hint of the MW and my eyes were not even dark adapted yet! Try as I may, I still could not see the Andromeda Galaxy.

Looking forward to your observing session reports!
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

You bet I’m excited! If it’s clear tonight, I’m gonna go out with my astronomy binoculars and figure out where things like nebulae, galaxies, clusters, and other stuff is at.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Congratulations!
A dark site makes DSOs all the more enjoyable :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Jnicholes wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:12 pm Haven’t been on for a while, a lot going on. I believe I finally fixed my telescope goto mount. Turns out I’ve been aligning it to the wrong stars. It throws everything off. I’m going to test and see if I can get it to work properly by aligning it to Polaris and Vega, on Tuesday or Wednesday when my new eyepiece comes in the mail.
Yep, aligning to the wrong stars will throw it off every time! :lol: Glad you figured it out.

If it is an EQ mount, don't use Polaris as one of your alignment stars. It is the worst star in the sky for goto alignment, because it is so close to the pole. If it is an alt-az mount, disregard: Polaris is fine for those.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

5E086222-01A7-431C-A832-8FAF73312FAC.jpeg
It’s an ALT AZ mount, I think.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Hi Jared,

Yes that's an AltAz mount.

When you say you can only faintly see the Milky Way, sounds like you are in a mid-sized town like Rexburg or Idaho Falls with some light pollution.

I don't know how old you are but if you are adult age and independent, you can easily access much better skies by car.

This is a location that we used for the 2017 total solar eclipse. We arrived there in the dark before first light and the skies looked pretty good.

From anywhere in East Idaho, you can head north or south along Route 15 and turn west on the Terreton Rd (route 28) at Sage Junction. Drive 5km (3 miles) along the 28 toward Mud Lake. Turn north up a road called N2200E. This will only have a bit of local traffic. There were multiple places and no fences to carry our gear off the road and set up.

The coordinates were : 43°50'50.9"N 112°15'21.1"W
When we were there, there were a few hundred people around to observe the eclipse. If you are going to be there on your own, especially in the USA, you'll need to assess your personal safety alone at the location.

Good luck
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

East Idaho sounds like a great place to move to Jared.

Looking forward to seeing you get your setup together.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

2887CC37-738F-43C9-B808-813EB866339A.jpeg
Went last night to get this picture. It was midnight. You can see part of the Milky Way near Sagittarius.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats! Seeing Milky Way from the backyard is the luxury not many have these days.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

Just checked the tracking on my eyepiece. Should be coming today. If it does come today, I’m going to do the astronomy session tonight.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead