Whats the best way to get maximum field of view while wearing glasses?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
realflow100 United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Whats the best way to get maximum field of view while wearing glasses?

Post by realflow100 »

I'm going to be getting glasses in a week or 2 (Hopefully sooner rather than later) I have some pretty weird astigmatism problem (I appear to have around 20/50 to 2/40 vision or something approximately. Not sure but I can read text from my computer screen a few feet away ok. but super fine details look a bit blurry.

I can see close up and far away just fine so at least focusing isnt a problem.

Is there any tricks to getting maximum field of view while using binoculars. or telescope eyepieces? (Could i take out the right lens from the glasses and just gently hold it on top of the eyepiece or something so I dont have to wear my glasses? and get widest possible field of view?

I also have EXTREMELY ABSURDLY LOOOONG eyelashes. like so long I have to trim them weekly for them to not obstruct my vision or curl downwards into my eyes. I have wrongway eyelashes at the corners and a couple at the top. they are very annoying!

Also will wearing glasses cause significant chromatic abberation or other artifacts?? since I think most glasses are just a single lens. and not multiple elements?
Svbony SV503 70mm ED F6 420mm FL refractor telescope (New)
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-F6.3 II VC lens
canon 50mm STM F1.8
svbony 8-24mm zoom eyepiece
svbony goldline 66 degree 9mm and 6mm + 40mm plossl + 2x barlow.
svbony UHC 1.25 filter + astromania 1.25" O-3 filter + also an svbony H-B filter.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: Whats the best way to get maximum field of view while wearing glasses?

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Glasses will not introduce any aberrations, with eyepieces you will require them to have at least 15-20mm of eye relief so you can view with the glasses on.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

Many of my eyepieces I need my face to be touching the rubber eye cups for me to see the full field if view (Wide view eyepieces with medium-short eye relief)
my 40mm plossl has tons of eye relief though so shouldn't be a problem.
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
svbony UHC 1.25 filter + astromania 1.25" O-3 filter + also an svbony H-B filter.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

If you find or machine yourself a metal or plastic ring that just fits over your eyepiece, the optometrist can send it away and have a prescription lens with your prescription fitted to that ring. The lens making machines profile the frames. They can follow any shape.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

Oh. cool but probably prohibitively expensive for me lol
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

realflow100 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:42 pm Oh. cool but probably prohibitively expensive for me lol
I looked into this when I was first diagnosed with astigmatism. The cost of having one lens made is very cheap - less than the cost of a cheap eyepiece. In my case, I found that my astigmatism has not progressed and It just wasn't necessary. As time goes on, you will end up with many pairs of glasses as you replace them. You could remove one of the old lenses and use that.

Joe
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

What should I bring with me/expect to have when I go in with my prescription to get/pay for/pick out the frames or whatnot so I can get my new glasses??
Anything in particular I should bring with me? any medical info or specific stuff? A stack of cash?
my medicare/medicaid insurance cards? do I need to also bring my ID or social security?
Am I missing anything that might be required?

I have prescription papers with me.

I'm planning on going to walmart vision center.
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

I don't live in the USA so I can't help you. In Australia, I bring my medicare card (Govt health system) which pays for the eye test and my private health insurance card which pays for the frames and lenses. Sometimes there is a small residual if I choose expensive frames which I have to pay for. I find that the more expensive the frames, the flimsier they are. Over the years, I've been going for cheaper more robustly built frames over flimsy trendy ones.

Joe
Don Pensack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

Best way? Look for and use eyepieces with at least 18mm of eye relief so you can wear glasses at the eyepiece.
There are a lot of eyepieces that qualify.
Astronomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

is 20mm plossl a good idea? I'm thinking of getting one! And a 2x barlow

my eyepiece collection will look like this if I purchase a 20mm plossl and a 2x barlow

40mm plossl (Not sure what to use it for. Kinda provides magnification like a finder scope!) I know I could use this with a 2x barlow to get 20mm focal length. but the eye relief is beyond excessive and I CANT HANDLE THE VIGNETTING! EWWW

A 20mm plossl (Using with a barlow will give me 10mm but with a plossl eyepiece. so reasonable eye relief!)
and 6mm eyepiece svbony brand. gold ring. (Semi-decent quality. good for planets with a 2x barlow I think. image quality is acceptable across the frame.)

(but Kind of small eye relief though on my 6mm eyepiece Eyelashes nearly touching the lens. I have to put my eyes so close that its touching the rubber gaurd thing in order to see the full 66* field of view!!! its an svbony eyepiece. Not plossl. has a sort of built-in barlow element in it into the 1.25 filter ring thingy. I'm not sure about the main elements in it. Probably could be guessed at.

Also I really really need some kind of astronomy eye cover thing! My unusued eye is EXTREMELY distracting. Like a transparent image layered over top of my right eye. almost entirely obscuring the view! I have to squint or close my left eye somehow while using my telescope. With binoculars its not an issue since im using both eyes.
I have 7x50 binoculars with non-adjustable eye relief. but I can somewhat fold down the stiff rubber eye cup things. Not much eye relief though. Kind of small eye-lenses to look through.
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

You might want to check into getting single vision lenses for observing if you normally need bifocals or progressives.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

I can focus up close and to infinity just fine. so I dont have any focusing issues that i'm aware of. (Vision looks the same if i'm looking at tiny text inches from my face. or large text very far away. or the stars at night. They dont look out of focus. Just equally soft/fuzzy mostly on top and bottom like almost blurry clones/stacked on top of each other. I mostly see it on the bottom of what im looking at. if I look at the moon at night. especially a crescent. it looks almost doubled with a fainter ghostly clone underneath it. but still looks in focus at the same time.)
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

I also have astigmatism and I wear glasses for reading. Sometimes I use them with the telescope, but mostly, I do not. I do not worry about centimeters of eye relief but rather I use the oculars ("eyepieces") that work best for me. And, I also use the telescope in ways that are better for me.

Short of having special lenses made, you could, for example, use a cellphone adapter and view the image on that. The popular top of the line is the NexYz for $59.95, but others are less than $20, though in my opinion are even less easy to work with.

Someone else here can explain the optics better but while it is true that you typically want your eye close to the lens, the image is actually on a cone and I have been able to stand back with my glasses on to get a view. It is not optimal, but it is interesting.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

Nah cell phone adapter won't really work for me. Dont have a good phone capable of any low light stuffs. and light pollution here makes that even worse too.

I think I might be able to just ask for a circular lens of a certain diameter. and just hold it by the edge on top of the eyepiece gently would work for me. (Could probably pop lens out of my glasses and do the same once I get them?)

How would I get anti-reflective coated glasses? do I just "ask for them"? or something?
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

realflow100 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:27 am How would I get anti-reflective coated glasses? do I just "ask for them"? or something?
I would ask.
It depends on what your "eye doctor" is: ophthalmologist, optician, or optometrist. And it depends on who in your insurance pays for what. Most insurances only pay for things that are prescribed as medically necessary, but that can be broad. And your "eye doctor's" billing people know what to say on the forms.

And I would ask around.
One time in the 1990s, when i was learning to fly, I was hesitant to ask for a special prescription and started to explain why and when I held my left hand out like it was on the yoke, the doctor said, "You fly. Me too." He knew what I needed. But you have to ask, and maybe ask around to get what you need and want.
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

ok I finally was able to go. got a quote and estimate for price and cost. 115$ lenses + 9$ for the frame for anti-reflective. uv. and scratch resistant coatings on polycarbonate lens.

didnt get an estimate with insurance. I straight up forgot to ask. and dont know if the insurance I have covers it (I'm thinking no. medicaid/medicare)
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

I finally payed for the glasses. so I have to go on next saturday next week (approximately 10 days or so) to pick them up

I'm now wondering do I have to look perfectly straight through the center of the glasses in order to see clearly? or can I look around with my eyes while wearing them?

Do I need to move my head instead of my eyes. keeping my eyes centered while looking through the glasses in order to see the best while using the glasses?

I picked some really large lenses with metal frames (Tall and wide glasses) to cover the majority of my field of vision as much as possible. for as cheap of price as possible too.

I would prefer plastic frame or super durable spring metal glasses. but I was only able to afford the soft flimsy metal frames. (I guess somehow metal is cheaper to manufacture than plastic?)
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

The easy answer is: (1) it all depend and (2) you'll have to find out.

I have two different prescriptions, both for (mild) astigmatism, one for reading books (closer), and the other for the computer (farther). I am also hard on equipment. So, I have "everyday carries" of drugstore readers 1.5, 1.75, and 2.0 magnification. I switch among them all, and I seldom (though sometimes) take the prescription glasses out stargazing. It all depends on the eye wear, the target, the sky...

You do most of your seeing in your brain. Your eyes are only the transducer. Your mind is the interpreter. Galileo's telescope at 20x was sufficient to see the rings of Saturn, but he did not know what they were.
Untitled 2.jpg
https://spacecentre.co.uk/blog-post/gal ... ar-system/

Fifty years later Huygens identified them as rings, more a matter of understanding and interpretation than superior seeing (though there was that).

Last December, I viewed and sketched the Jupiter-Saturn conjunction at 20x (660 focal length with 32 mm ocular).
13 and 17 December 2020.jpg
Bottom line: Do not make up your mind that you will not be able to see anything until you discover what you can see.
Michael E. Marotta
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

realflow100 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:46 pm I finally payed for the glasses. so I have to go on next saturday next week (approximately 10 days or so) to pick them up

I'm now wondering do I have to look perfectly straight through the center of the glasses in order to see clearly? or can I look around with my eyes while wearing them?

Do I need to move my head instead of my eyes. keeping my eyes centered while looking through the glasses in order to see the best while using the glasses?

I picked some really large lenses with metal frames (Tall and wide glasses) to cover the majority of my field of vision as much as possible. for as cheap of price as possible too.

I would prefer plastic frame or super durable spring metal glasses. but I was only able to afford the soft flimsy metal frames. (I guess somehow metal is cheaper to manufacture than plastic?)
You will get hang of it. I have been observing with eyeglasses on for years. My technique is to position the eye centered and above the eyepiece top lens and then lower the head down until eyeglasses lens touches gently EP's eyeguard, but only if eyeguard is made out of rubber. EP should have at least 15mm of eye relief. Once you done that you can move your eye around without moving your head.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

TELEVUE DIOPTRIX CORRECTING LENSES

https://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=54

Link above. See ad below.
Your telescope's focuser is used to compensate for your near- or far-sightedness; DIOPTRX™ compensates for your astigmatism. These units attach and lock onto the tops of over 20 long eye-relief Tele Vue eyepieces to achieve the sharpest full-field viewing possible. DIOPTRX™ models are available in ¼ to 3½ diopter and are rotatable for tuning to the best orientation. A series of engraved letters on the barrel helps to monitor orientation. Simply choose the DIOPTRX™ model that matches your eyeglass prescription for astigmatism. All lenses are multi-coated glass in anodized aluminum housings with rubber eyeguards.
televue dioptrix ad.jpg

(I am an idiot for not thinking of this sooner. All I can say is that exercise clears the brain: mens sana in corpore sano. I did 50 sit-ups twice today and after the second set, I remembered this from Televue.)

I found the specification sheet:
https://www.televue.com/pdf/literature/ ... iewing.pdf
Michael E. Marotta