AP? (Just being curious)

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: AP? (Just being curious)

Post by turboscrew »

Star Dad wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:35 pm Yeah, Turbo - I used mount only guiding for a year or two before I bought a guiding camera. My mount is capable of 1 minute images without a guiding camera. I usually had to throw out 10% of the images due to a wobble in the mount's worm gear. The wobble is still there, but with guiding camera and software I don't have to throw out any images anymore because of the wobble. Mostly aircraft/satellites and occasionally a cloud that interferes with guiding.
The CEM120 ad says:
- Precision stepper motor with 0.07 arcsec accuracy for precise GOTO and accurate tracking
- High precision tracking with low periodic error (PE)<±3.5 arcsec
- Permanent periodic error correction (PPEC)
I don't know how relevant that is, when we talk about mount's ability to track without a guider.
And it's from an ad.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: AP? (Just being curious)

Post by Star Dad »

Well, every mechanical piece is slightly different when manufactured. No such things as total precision of course. You can do what is called a "PEC" (Period Error Correction if I remember correctly) training using your hand controller... which if you are not guiding with a computer/camera can help eliminate that error. I don't have your mount so I can't help in the details - but look for that PEC somewhere in the manuals - I'm pretty sure you will find such a thing - unless, of course they did it at the factory. But I also suspect that rough physical handling (ie in transit to you) could also affect the PEC.
Good luck!
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter