Looking at getting a star tracker moint

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
afmiller
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Looking at getting a star tracker moint

Post by afmiller »

Hello,
I have a Nikon d7100 currently. I’ve been looking at several star trackers for a bit. Mostly the star tracker pro from ioptron. But recently I saw ioptron has the star guider pro with ipolar. Also the recently saw the sky watcher adventure 2i. At this point I’m at information overload on which one I should buy. Any guidance of which I should get would be helpful. I saw the ipolar helps get Polaris even if it’s blocked, which seems nice, but looks like I need a laptop everytime I use it. The negative to skywatcher seems to be they are all sold out / backordered for the next few months.

Thanks
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Looking at getting a star tracker moint

Post by yobbo89 »

what kind of lense/scope are you going to be using?, this will help determin if you realy need auto guiding ectt.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

afmiller wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:06 am The negative to skywatcher seems to be they are all sold out / backordered for the next few months.
Have you checked European vendors? I've ordered several things from First Light Optics in the UK and the price hasn't been much more than buying in the US. Delivery has been faster than many US vendors IME.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
afmiller
Earth Ambassador

Post by afmiller »

yobbo89 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:36 am what kind of lense/scope are you going to be using?, this will help determin if you realy need auto guiding ectt.
Right now I only have my tokina 2.8 11-16mm. I would like to do deep space stuff once I get better with general milky way shots. Assuming once I do that I would need the auto guiding? Basically want to future proof myself. No issue spending a little more upfront for something that will grow with my needs.

Doing some digging, I could just go with skyguider without the ipolar. Use a zwo asi guider, which seems to work with an iPad? Just mount the guide camera to my camera or future telescope?
afmiller
Earth Ambassador

Post by afmiller »

Another option could be ASIAIR PRO. Get the non ipolar version. This is the one that looks like I can use iPad. Which will cut down on weight for hiking and such