Meade Auto Star II Star Lock success

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
turonrambar
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

Meade Auto Star II Star Lock success

Post by turonrambar »

Dear TSS,

I knew this day was different. The "WORM HAS TURNED."

History: LX850 12" OTA and mount. The mount's handbox stopped connecting the StarLock.
I lost my StarLock auto guider for my LX850 over two years ago and mount and telescope are about three years old. I've never been able to activate
it by the hand paddle, nor would it come on at boot up of the mount, which includes the hand box. The hot key #7 on the hand box that links you too the illuminated reticle or the Star Lock System didn't find the StarLock. I've research my "Star Lock problems" and it led in many different directions.

Although Meade Sent me a new StarLock scope and dedicated StarLock cable, that was no help. Meade is difficult for me to deal with, so I've stop using their help line. The still have a great library of manuals, firmware and needed publications for their instruments.

About two weeks ago, I was working on cable management, and I move the telescope to assist me in getting access to run some cables and the mount locked up. I ended up reflashing the main board with LX200's 8.1I firm wear, StarLock's HandBox's sub menu, 'StarLock' was not there.

So today I reflashed my main board again with LX850's first , old 1.1I firmware. I rebooted the handbox, and I was able to find the sub menu for the StarLock to be turned it on. I gave a couple the StarLock a couple minutes to boot up as waited for the search light to start blinking. I yelled "BINGO" the StarLock's light started flashing looking for a guide star. I don't care if the GPS, and the telescope's time doesn't update the handbox correctly.

It is evident to me that Meade has a problem with their new firmware for the LX850 and it has cause me many sleepless nights, oh well.

I almost bought CGX Celestaron mount yesterday, but was afraid it might be over rated on its weight capacity. My OTA's weight is 54 lbs. plus camera and StarLock I was afraid and cancelled the order. I'm glad I did, I'm a happy sky enthusiast.

Waiting for tonight and the stars, we are supposed to have clear skies tonight and it's warming up here. We've had many frost warnings this month, which unusual.

Clear Skies
kip
Meade OTA f/8 12” on a CEM120 iOptron Mount,
G10 One Shot CMOS Color Camera, QHY 2” Filter Wheel, QHY OAG, SVBony SV305 guide camera
Canon T3i 60D Prime Focus and Eyepiece Projection,
ASCOM 6.5 SP1, Windows 10 Professional
LX850 Mount, ETX125, LX200 f/10 8” GPS, Meade 6” f/4 Newton Reflector on an Equatorial Mount
turonrambar
Jupiter Ambassador

Re: Meade Auto Star II Star Lock success

Post by turonrambar »

Hello at TSS,

Update here, I'm reloading the 1.1 system back into the mount. I learned the 1.1i in the correct firmware.

So I'm reloading 1.1i, boy it's a great, ha. Got too laugh at my self over this fiasco. Situations all normal.
A LX850 12" StarLock

Clear
kip
G10 One Shot CMOS Color Camera, QHY 2” Filter Wheel, QHY OAG, SVBony SV305 guide camera
LX850 Mount, ETX125, LX200 f/10 8” GPS, Meade 6” f/4 Newton Reflector on an Equatorial Mount
Piet Le Roux South Africa
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

Good day Kip,
I am glad hear that you making progress! Did you download the 1.1i firmware from the StarGPS site and loaded it with Starpatch?
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100
turonrambar
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by turonrambar »

Hello Piet Le Roux,

I used the new Auto Star 2 Updater (AU2.exe) from Meade instruments'.

I was in my dome last night aligning the telescope, and I used the telescope
for a good while and then mount wanted flip. Turning the telescope 360 degrees
on the mount! This was new to me and I backed off and didn't complete the
mount's requested maneuver. The 1.1i system upgrade is like playing catchup.
I don't know where I have been for the last two years, but the mount's operating
system is different by acting without commands from the handbox.
(This could be my reaction to it all, it's kind of intimidating because I
lack confidence in the telescope's system right now.) First time I've used a
guider scope, and I'm not completely sure of all of the guider's nuances.
It seems that a lot of new information and procedures are coming at me.
But, I have faith and I'll catch up to it all and I'll be a "Happy Camper."

Clear Skies
kip
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

I have not heard of the Autostar 2 updater? The latest updater on the Meade site is 6.1 but for the Audiostar/Autostar used in the LX90 it has been impossible to download firmware via it from their site so I use StarGPS patched firmware, in it a lot of known bugs have been removed from the firmware, they have a copy of the 1.1i firmware on their site but there are no patches available for it.
PS on the Meade site they do have a 1.1y firmware update for the Starlock :
https://www.meade.com/starlock-firmware-v1-1y/
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

I also found this discussion about the Starlock on the LX850 : https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6881 ... try9865954
I am glad my LX90- is not that complicated!