Report - well, kind of

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Report - well, kind of

Post by turboscrew »

SkyHiker wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:07 am To make a Dobsonian track, an equatorial platform is the cheapest way. They don't have to be super accurate to eliminate the need for bumping. One disadvantage is that analog setting circles cannot be used. But for star hopping that should be no problem.

I would have made the same choice, get a large light bucket, a solid mount and see if it can be made to work for visual and AP. In fact I have that now but for some strange reason I don't need a ladder. I'm 1.90 m (6'3) and I can turn the 12" Newt in its rings to face down or horizontal. My mount is a G11S on an HD tripod that I use with half extended legs. I think your pier can be adjusted a bit lower, and with turning the OTA that might just do the trick.

If you have trouble emptying that garage, there is a TV show in the US about hoarders. Maybe watching one episode will motivate you to clean up. Or if you are not married, dating helps too. Indirectly of course, and you may or may not like it! Well, you said "bring it on"...
Yes, I've seen some episods of "Hoarders". And I'm a widower.
The main problem with the garage is a set of cupboards, but that's a long story. I should get rid of them.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

indoor-parking.jpg
Picture of the 18"f5.5 parked in the corner of my studio

The rocker box alone of my 18" dob weighs about 90kg (200lbs). It has a wheelbarrow style transport system with 10 inch pneumatic wheels and moving it into position and setting it up is pretty easy even with my chonic lower back pain issues.

It takes a couple of minutes to wheel the base outside, perhaps 10 mins to attach the trusses and the secondary cage. Then if I do that in the light, I have to wait for twilight to laser collimate (<5 mins) and star calibrate the Nexus system to the encoders(2-3 mins). The wheelbarrow style handles mean that I am leg lifting a fraction of the 90kg rocker box weight. The trusses are light and the secondary cage is also only a few kg's.

I also have an equatorial mount. Although the head of my EM200 mount weighs 17kg, it isn't an awkward lift. I don't think I could regularly handle Turboscrew's big scope setup and certainly not do it a single lift.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

That is definitely a report!

These are the kind of nights that we all go through and learn from each “issue”. It does sound like you have a challenging rig to setup, but man, it sounds awesome!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

OzEclipse wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:33 am Image
Picture of the 18"f5.5 parked in the corner of my studio

The rocker box alone of my 18" dob weighs about 90kg (200lbs). It has a wheelbarrow style transport system with 10 inch pneumatic wheels and moving it into position and setting it up is pretty easy even with my chonic lower back pain issues.

It takes a couple of minutes to wheel the base outside, perhaps 10 mins to attach the trusses and the secondary cage. Then if I do that in the light, I have to wait for twilight to laser collimate (<5 mins) and star calibrate the Nexus system to the encoders(2-3 mins). The wheelbarrow style handles mean that I am leg lifting a fraction of the 90kg rocker box weight. The trusses are light and the secondary cage is also only a few kg's.

I also have an equatorial mount. Although the head of my EM200 mount weighs 17kg, it isn't an awkward lift. I don't think I could regularly handle Turboscrew's big scope setup and certainly not do it a single lift.

Joe
You have quite a "star cannon"! My setup is small compared to yours.
90 kg - that would be a LOT to carry upstairs, and I guess your OTA doesn't belong into the fether-series either. :lol:
18" mirror is quite some glass.
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Not dark enough at 10:00 PM in April. You are far north. And I thought that I have it rough now that I have to wait until 8:00 PM for dark, even though I start sighting (Moon, for example) from 7 or 7:30. By 8 o'clock, Sirius and some others are clearly visible for alignment.

In any case, I am not alone in sharing your pain. I had the perfect spot in my. backyard for years and it is still good. But the other night, my neighbor's lights went on, so I moved to the other side of the yard and everthing rolled off my table. Oh... that's why I do not set up here... I remember now...
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Yesterday I figured out something to somewhat balance the scope (I hope). I also figured out a north-south line on my yard. I put an iron bar in one place I thought it might be good, and tried to get it vertical. Then brought a concrete ring with a hole in a middle (I have no clue what it's made for) and a pipe, that fits the hole, to a place close to the guessed line. At 10.01 PM I then moved the concrete ring with the pipe such, that the pipe, iron bar and Regulus were in line. It was quite light, but I could tell Regulus. At 11:08 PM, I re-checked with Zosma. (Regulus and Zosma were supposed to be south at the mentioned times).
- Juha

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Now I got the setup balanced. I don't know if that's my final solution, though.

Funny that the Losmandy saddle of the CEM120 is 250g heavier then the front. It's the connector box I presume. I balanced it with a beam shoe like this:
19-600_xxl_1.jpg
And the counter weight for the finder (~450 g):
IMG_0749.JPG
- Juha

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Made a better place for the setup. Now it the Tri-pier should be somewhat aligned in the north-south direction.
I probably could have done better with leveling the tiles.
IMG_0751.JPG
Also, found a bit better counterweight for the Losmandy saddle. I needed to add one more plate, though. I did check that it doesn't restrict the movements of the mount in any way. It's small enough.
IMG_0755.JPG
Now ready for new frustrations tonight.
I don't know if there is still pinching. I haven't got a chance to check since I tried to fix that.
I even remembered to align the RACI.
IMG_0756.JPG
- Juha

Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Graeme1858 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:57 am Sounds like a great first time out!

Just one minor point, you might want to put the counter weights on before the OTA.

Regards

Graeme
Good point Graeme, I forgot the other night and just caught my scope as it swung down rapidly towards the tripod legs. :roll:
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

This nights report:

It started well. Got the setup polar aligned well enough, and then aligned the goto (single star, with Regulus). The goto was initially astonishingly much off. It wasn't really dark yet, but I didn't want to waste the good weather now, when it finally appeared. I started at about 10:30 PM when the polaris started to be seen well enough for polar alignment.

First to M48 which appeared to be just behind some treetops.

Then to M44. It looked lovely through my Omegon SWAN 26 mm / 70°.
So did M67.

Then to Leo. Tried M95, M96, M105. Nothing. Probably still too light.
Next M65 and M66. I _think_ I saw one of them, but not sure which. I barely made it, but I took several looks, and the little haze was always same way at the same place - I don't think I imagined it.

At that point I thought it's too easy.

Next I went for M106, and found out that it was too easy. At the end of slew, I heard terrible rattle, and it looked like the movement around DEC axis stopped. Turned the goto off. disengaged the gear and checked if it was stuck. No moved just fine. Tried to go back to M66. and that went well.

Then I tried M99, and it happened again - the rattling sound. I think some gear was jumping over.
It went to the zero position well, however.
It was 11:30 PM. I didn't dare to try anything more. That was it for the "night".

DARN!
I just can't believe my luck!

Any idea what to do now? Do I dare to look inside the mount? Or is it better to send it to repair, and wait a couple more months? (As if I didn't get to wait enough already.)
I think it's still under warranty.
- Juha

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Things may not be that bad after all. In the web I found this:
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6806 ... odd-sound/
In the video clip, the sound is similar.
I contacted ioptron support, here was their response:

"The sound should be motor was skipping steps. It is a protection mechanism and no harm to the system. Make sure the mount is balanced and no cable is dragging the DEC.

If it keeps occurring, try to adjust the DEC meshing, may be loosening a bit (1/8 turn) first."
I guess it's safe to do that, because the instructions are given in the CEM120 user manual.

I did some slewing tests (quite similar than the problematic cases last night) with and without the tube on.
I couldn't reproduce the problem. The tube + gear made about 15.5 kg (34 lb).
The only difference I can think of is that last night it was about +2°C (36°F), now +14°C (57°F).
- Juha