is this normal for my vision or not? night sky appearance to naked eye.

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
realflow100 United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

is this normal for my vision or not? night sky appearance to naked eye.

Post by realflow100 »

When I look up at the night sky naked eye on a perfectly clear night with no moon. and wait for a few minutes for my eyes to adjust the night sky is like a really dark dull kind of blue-ish cyan shade of color.
its faint but noticable. my area is bortle 6 or so approximately. I dont see an orange brown or yellow color in the sky anywhere.

its definitely not just straight black or gray.

Also I dont see any kind of fuzz or hazy noise in my vision when i'm in near or total darkness that ive seen people talk or ask about on the internet my vision

is my vision or eyesight just clipped darker than other peoples vision? Or does my brain just filter out noise better for some reason than other people?

Whats normal to see?
Svbony SV503 70mm ED F6 420mm FL refractor telescope (New)
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-F6.3 II VC lens
canon 50mm STM F1.8
svbony 8-24mm zoom eyepiece
svbony goldline 66 degree 9mm and 6mm + 40mm plossl + 2x barlow.
svbony UHC 1.25 filter + astromania 1.25" O-3 filter + also an svbony H-B filter.
maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: is this normal for my vision or not? night sky appearance to naked eye.

Post by maceemiller »

I live in bortle 5 skies sandwiched in-between 2 towns. I can see orange light pollution north and south yet mostly the sky seems a dark grey black, if that makes sense.

Admittedly though I have on occasion seen a dark blue hue to the skies. I cant answer your question but I can say I've seen the same here in the UK
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I have bortle 6 sky at home. It is always different shades of gray, never black. During dusk and down it does appear dark blue or greyish blue, but not during astronomical darkens.

Since the greyish sky color comes from light pollution the tint you will see will depend on the type of artificial lighting is used around you. I can imagine if colder LED lights are used than the sly may have bluish tint.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Always shades of gray to my eye(s).
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

is it possible I just have an especially larger portion of cone to rod receptors in my eyes?
giving me slightly more color perception in the dark than someone with more proportion of rods? since not everyone has identical number of receptors in their eyes right?

Theres basically no chance of dark adaptation where I live. Not even a small percentage. the light pollution is so bad its even worse than some bortle 9 "examples" i've seen!
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
svbony UHC 1.25 filter + astromania 1.25" O-3 filter + also an svbony H-B filter.
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

Hello realflow,

the aquacolor disc, or bluish-cyan disc, appears to me after I have been using brigh red light when writing the observing notes. It takes some short time to disappear, and some more time to become dark adapted again.
It is the complementary color illusion to the red light.

Another color illusion are the faint brownish skies after the dusk, but they disappear fastn. The brownish color is complementary to the dark blue skies during the dusk.

Nothing to worry about,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Count me in. I too see usually bluish sky. In the east, there is always a orangish/purplish light pollution. I see that same colour all over if it's a foggy night or the clouds are very low. The light pollution map says that my sky is Bortle 5, but to my knowledge, that comes from data from 2015, and there has been lot of changes. (I wish an update would happen soon.)
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

realflow100 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:08 pm... the night sky is like a really dark dull kind of blue-ish cyan shade of color. ... Also I dont see any kind of fuzz or hazy noise in my vision ... is my vision or eyesight just clipped darker than other peoples ...
Interesting questions. I have no answers. I will note that we call color blindness "Daltonism" because it was first described by John Dalton about 1800. Aristotle did not mention it. I mean, people just get used to whatever they see or not and manage as best they do or not, but without actually investigating this empirically in a statistical population, there is no easy way to know. I believe that perception happens mostly in the brain. I know from reseach I have read that our common optical illusions are not universal. Some people around the world are not fooled at all and others just do not see the same thing as we do. They interpret the spaces and lines differently than we do. Perception is learned.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

j.gardavsky wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:42 pm Hello realflow,

the aquacolor disc, or bluish-cyan disc, appears to me after I have been using brigh red light when writing the observing notes.

Something to note: there was an article in, I think, Sky and Telescope, some years ago re. the best color for that and it wasn't red. It was some particular wavelength of amber. And LEDs are avail. in that wavelength, but not common. Sorry I don't remember the specifics.

Anyhow, bright red is not ideal. Dim red is much better. I've been at star parties where some folks have had red lights as bright as a police spotlight and my eyes have had taken quite a time to readjust. I use a single dim led over my notebook.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

my star tracker alt-az goto has a red led flashlight button on it built into the controller. Kinda useful.
and a dim red backlit LCD display. adjusted brightness so its most comfortable at night without being too bright.
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

@realflow100
Hi Realfow100,
The purplish color might simply be the hue imparted by your night or rod vision. The photoreceptor chemical is called rhodopsin and is also known as visual purple. It is quite normal for night vision to have a purplish hue which different people with variously describe in shades of dark blues or cyans.

Pupil dilation is almost immediate but dark adapted vision (a biochemical process) takes some time after you enter a dark area. At 5 mins it is starting to get sensitive but most people take about 20-40mins to reach peak sensitivity.

Any orange or red colour glow in the sky at night comes from bright artificial lighting. The natural starlit night sky is not bright enough to trigger cone colour vision in emission nebulae to the naked eye. It appears dark steely blue but as others have mentioned, never black. Even in my Bortle 1 - 2. skies it is not black. On a night of exceptional transparency last January, after about an hour outside more and more stars appeared in the gaps and the summer milky way through Orion and Canis Major was glowing with a bright arc through Puppis and Vela to Centaurus. But even the starless gaps between the faintest stars were not black.

It's general appearance has not changed with my declining vision over the past 42 years that I have been an amateur astronomer although at 57, my pupils can probably only dilate to 5.5mm whereas when I was 18 they could probably give me a good 7+ mm.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

For me sometimes the background sky appears as a very deep blue, other times not. I wouldn't worry about it as color perception is quite variable between people and is also influenced by the predominant color pallet of your local environment as well. So folks from different physical environments will perceive colors a little differently. You will also as you change environments as it is something you adapt to.
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

my eye test results. I dont know what all of these mean. but i think i have some pretty strange vision problems! Need glasses.
Attachments
eye test results.png
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

realflow100 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:19 pm my eye test results. I dont know what all of these mean. but i think i have some pretty strange vision problems! Need glasses.
Disclaimer: I am not an optometrist, just a customer of an optometrist. Ask your optometrist for a definitive explanation. I'm surprised they didn't explain it to you on the spot.

I think the OD/OS is left and right eye. Why they don't just say left right is beyond me.
SPH is the spherical lens correction +0.5/+0.75 meaning you need weak reading glasses slightly different in each eye to read comfortably.
CYL is cylindrical. This is where your problem lies. This measures how cylindrical your eye lens is. The value of -2/-2.25 means you have a reasonable problem with astigmatism. If you look at a black line on a white page and slowly rotate the page, you'll see the edge of the line go from sharp to soft.

None of this will affect the sensitivity of your dark adapted vision however the astigmatism will make all the stars stretch in one direction and fainter stars will disappear as their light is spread. Your distance vision should be ok during the day but at night, a pair of distance glasses with the astigmatic correction built in will sharpen your vision while driving and help with the astronomy and prescription sunglasses will give you sharper vision while driving during the day.

My astigmatic value is around +1.25. I can see the night sky pretty well without glasses but the glasses really sharpen the star images while simultaneously absorbing some light.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

I dont drive.
I can focus close up a couple inches from my face and far away just fine I think like 2 inches from my nose. I dont need to hold things that close to read them usually though LOL
if my astigmatism was corrected I could read tiny text from a whole foot away probably easily.

I probably dont need any distance/reading glasses just the astigmatism correction glasses mostly? Maybe my eyes were just slightly off of focus during some of the tests possibly from lazyness or misfocusing with my eye muscles (I can control them almost fully with willpower when I want to lol
Stars to me look slightly stretched vertically. almost like ghostly versions stacked on top of each other in different sizes. Same with the moon at night. looks almost doubled.

Vertical lines look almost perfectly sharp to me. and horizontal lines look moderately to somewhat blurry.
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

OD and SD are "oculus dexter" ("eye right") and "oculus sinister" (eye left). (Yes, the english word "sinister" comes from this - somehow left is associated with bad and right with good.)

@realflow100 : That sounds like me - that is: double images.
My second image (pretty same in both eyes) is about 2 mm "north-west" from the primary image at the normal reading distance.
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

I dont really see distinct double images. its just like vertical up and down stretched ghostly blurr of what im looking at on top of something. its pretty small. at normal reading distance its like 1 or 2mm top and bottom of something. like this text im typing here a foot or 2 away.
the text looks ALMOST sharp. but not quite. and theres like a ghostly blur underneath the text mostly. and slightly on top of it. really weird
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

realflow100 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:03 pm I dont really see distinct double images. its just like vertical up and down stretched ghostly blurr of what im looking at on top of something. its pretty small. at normal reading distance its like 1 or 2mm top and bottom of something. like this text im typing here a foot or 2 away.
the text looks ALMOST sharp. but not quite. and theres like a ghostly blur underneath the text mostly. and slightly on top of it. really weird
For me it looks like the image here, but images just about 2 mm apart, and usually the secondary image is so light that only stronger contrast edges are well visible. And the two images are seen with the same eye (the other eye closed).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplopia

I just put that here, because if the double images are close, it probably looks a lot like the blurr.
- Juha

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

Sorta like that but yeah only 1 and a half to 2mm. if i look at the moon at night i see a slight ghostly double effect on the bottom and top. mostly the bottom.
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8