Is this safe way to carry a mount?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Is this safe way to carry a mount?

Post by gregl »

I wouldn't worry about ten lbs. over the rating. Ten pounds is only the weight of a typical house cat. The original Kelty is what Tenzing and Hillary used on the first climb of Everest back in 1953. It will take much more than what's rated.
Ruud
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ruud »

About the stairclimber, I don't think it's a very good idea for your. A 90° bend in just a few steps few steps does not leave much room for the wheels on the inside of the bend to land on.

Another idea: There are stair lifts that can follow bends. My dad used one. Dog stair lifts or platform stair lifts might work too

An electric hoist would be much cheaper if you have a big enough window or a balcony (www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rGNguPCQuU). Mount it next to the window or to the side of the balcony. (Must be weatherproof)

And what do you think about a fold down bumper crane? Maybe you can attach that to a wall. See www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGR-ka__4WU
7x50 Helios Apollo 8x42 Bresser Everest 73mm f/5.9 WO APO 4" f/5 TeleVue Genesis 6" f/10 Celestron 6SE 0.63x reducer 1.8, 2, 2.5 and 3x Barlows eyepieces from 4.5 to 34mm
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Ruud wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:38 pm About the stairclimber, I don't think it's a very good idea for your. A 90° bend in just a few steps few steps does not leave much room for the wheels on the inside of the bend to land on.

Another idea: There are stair lifts that can follow bends. My dad used one. Dog stair lifts or platform stair lifts might work too

An electric hoist would be much cheaper if you have a big enough window or a balcony (www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rGNguPCQuU). Mount it next to the window or to the side of the balcony. (Must be weatherproof)

And what do you think about a fold down bumper crane? Maybe you can attach that to a wall. See www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGR-ka__4WU
I do have one like this... :lol:
SCA_531705_hi-res.jpg
But I think I'll settle with the case for now. A bit heavier than I'd like, but at least I see where I'm stepping.
And just slim enough that both me and the case fit side by side in the stairs.
A bit clumsy too, but can't help it. The mount itself is quite big.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

lostone United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by lostone »

Personally I cradle mine like it's a baby. Than again i'm not going very far with them. From the tripod to the case, so I wouldn't know if there is a proper way or not.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most! :tease:

Scope: Explorer Scientific 127CF, Askar FR600, Planewave CDK 14""
Guide Scope & Camera: ASI 174, ZWO OAG-L
Camera: QHY 268 Mono, QHY 600 Mono
Mount: Planewave L-350, Skywatcher EQ8-Rh Pro, Losmandy G11
Accessories: Moonlite Nitecrawler WR30, WR35, Eagle 3&4 Pro, QHY CFW3/7 Filterwheel, QHY Polemaster,
Software: N.I.N.A., CdC, Planewave 3, Pixinsight
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

lostone wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:38 am Personally I cradle mine like it's a baby. Than again i'm not going very far with them. From the tripod to the case, so I wouldn't know if there is a proper way or not.
Carrying it in the lap is hard, because there are some sharp-ish edges, and on the stairs, I can't see where I'm stepping.
That's why the case. (I could manage with the edges, but the stair issue is bad.)
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.