Is this safe way to carry a mount?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Is this safe way to carry a mount?

Post by Bigzmey »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:46 pm With the mount weighing 27kg I cannot see foam panels working to carry it around with.
A strong plastic storage container filled with the foam panels would work.
Those I am referencing are hard duty flooring foam tiles. They feel like rubber. I am not suggesting to carry mount just in the foam panels, but using them as padding inside a heavy duty carrying bag.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Moving your gear to set up has to be easy or else your hobby will be short-lived. If possible, I would store the mount and pier downstairs as close to the door as possible. That strap looks fine, can you hang it off the wall next to the door? Fold the pier legs and hang it next to it, and the counterweights need to be close by too. That way the main items can be put up and stored without the hassle of getting it in and out of cases. For instance do you really want to detach the counterweight bar each time to get it in the case? I have the luxury of only having to walk 10 steps so I carry tripod plus mount all at once. Making many round trips especially with stairs gets old real quick.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:28 pm I can see and click on the link. Let's try this one

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Everyday-Ess ... /336366651

If you stack 2-3 at the bottom it will be flat enough, but wood/foam combo should work well to.
This link works.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

SkyHiker wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:44 pm Moving your gear to set up has to be easy or else your hobby will be short-lived. If possible, I would store the mount and pier downstairs as close to the door as possible. That strap looks fine, can you hang it off the wall next to the door? Fold the pier legs and hang it next to it, and the counterweights need to be close by too. That way the main items can be put up and stored without the hassle of getting it in and out of cases. For instance do you really want to detach the counterweight bar each time to get it in the case? I have the luxury of only having to walk 10 steps so I carry tripod plus mount all at once. Making many round trips especially with stairs gets old real quick.
Well, the combined weight of the Tri-pier, mount head and counterweights is about 66 kg (145 lb).
Tri-pier 19 kg, mount head 27 kg and 2x10 kg counterweights. (Tri-pier + mount head = 46 kg, 101 lb.)
Screwing the counterweight bar is not that big deal. I think carrying the mount head in the stairs is the hardest part.
It's so easy to miss a step, when you don't see in front of you.

I wonder how much does my bass speaker cabinet weight...?
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

And your scope is the 12" Dob, right? It's probably a good thing that it has an aluminum tube, which makes it 15 lbs lighter than my steel tube 12" that weighs 48 lbs. So you need 3 trips for the mount, tripod and counterweights, 1 for the scope, 1 for a chair and table, 1 for the box with optical and imaging gear, 1 for computers, power supply and cables, at the least. That is 7 trips one way, 14 trips both ways.

Frankly the type of gear that you have is too heavy to haul around over stairs each time so unless you find a way to store everything at ground level nearby you should consider moving or getting an observatory, or use it exclusively at dark sites where you can rent a ground level cabin for a week or so.

I'm not trying to be facetious but based on my own heavy gear I know that I can only do this thanks to my convenient ground level situation where I store the gear inside a converted garage and just have to carry it a few steps outside on to the driveway. Having to deal with stairs would make my gear impossible to use, I would have stuck with the AVX and the 6" Mak Newt but even then having to deal with stairs makes it hard.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Everyone is different of course. My 150mm f/8 + mount/ tripod setup weights 59kg
I have a third floor flat and have to carry everything down to the garden to view so 6-7 trips or 12-14 trips total which I have been doing for years.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Don't know if this would be practical or if something the right size would be available, but what about a big back pack, like some hikers use. They have frames in them for strength, plus fabric to hold things in. You could put it on your back to go down the stairs and keep your hands free to use hand rails or just steady your balance along a wall.
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

The backpack sounds like a good idea. I might be able to carry the mount head, counterweights and tri-pier at once.
A table is already out there - even if small and light. And I can carry the gear, laptop, etc at once. I don't have that much gear (yet).

We'll see later. Most of the ice on my yard has melted. I haven't even tried carrying the stuff on the icy yard. Too slippery, too dangerous.
- Juha

MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Yes, be careful on wet ice. I thought it was all melted on my driveway a couple years ago. There was a very thin layer of ice under moving water. The top portion of my right femur is now stainless steel.

I was thinking about the back pack further. It would clear your vision and allow you to see the steps as you go down the stairs, as well as see the ground in front of you as you walk along.
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Hmm, I've been looking for suitable backpacks, but the manufacturers seem to take pride on how shallow and narrow they can make them. They are usually something like 75 cm x 30 cm x 15 cm. They look wider, because of big side pockets.
Also, most of them are made for clothes, so I'm not sure they can take the weight.

I did, however find a bag and a tool box (with wheels), that, with some added foam, might be good.
- Juha

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

i would say that ,this might be ok if the clutchs are semi loose, and possibly the load would not dammage the worm wheel if you apply a shock to them, i reckon this will be fine if you are resonable carefull .
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

yobbo89 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:35 pm i would say that ,this might be ok if the clutchs are semi loose, and possibly the load would not dammage the worm wheel if you apply a shock to them, i reckon this will be fine if you are resonable carefull .
I was thinking of keeping the gear locks open (non attached), but the axle locks are ON/OFF (pin-in-a-hole type).
- Juha

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

turboscrew wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:00 am Hmm, I've been looking for suitable backpacks, but the manufacturers seem to take pride on how shallow and narrow they can make them. They are usually something like 75 cm x 30 cm x 15 cm. They look wider, because of big side pockets.
Also, most of them are made for clothes, so I'm not sure they can take the weight.

I did, however find a bag and a tool box (with wheels), that, with some added foam, might be good.
In that case I would look for a cheap aluminum frame and discard the bag. Hook your gear up to the aluminum frame using a strap with a hook. If you hook the mount plus pier with collapsed legs up to it, wind the strap around the lower part of the mount (below the clutches - not putting force on them) and use the weight of the pier to balance the mount with the head facing up. That way you can leave the clutches engaged and the counterweight bar on, which you can otherwise not do, and loading/unloading will be much easier than when you put everything in a bag. Walk down the stairs backward. This will save you 2 trips out of 14.

Did you include the power source in your trip planning? Usually a deep cycle battery unless you have power downstairs. Not needing a battery could bring it down to 10 trips. Consider getting a 10" droid tablet for setting up downstairs using a cheap Pi2b for autoguiding and plate solving and control so you can leave the computer upstairs, that may save another 2 trips, down to 8, and you can monitor the guiding from your home if the Pi can get through to your router.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I have outside electric sockets and two 25 meter extension chords (50 m together).
Two sockets on the house wall, 3 sockets on the garage/shed/sauna building.

The counterweight bar and the tri-pier probably makes it hard to get through the doors.
I think I'll try the bag first - it's only 15€. If it's not good, I'm sure I have other uses for it. The tool box with wheels is about 70€. The backpacks are well over 100€ (1 € = 1.18 USD).
- Juha

seigell United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by seigell »

If the goal is just to transfer it from your Indoor Storage down a stairwell/hallway to the street for local use, I'd suggest that a Utility Backpack might be the best solution (with an extra foam tile to keep the protrusions from digging into your back).
This solution will put the load where the human body is best able to carry it - AND free your hands for stair rails and doorknobs (no good securing the load if the beast of burden trips down the stairs).
ES AR152 / ES 80ED Apo / Orion 8in F/3.9 / C9.25-SCT / C6-SCT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90 / Meade 6000 APO 115mm
CGEM (w HyperTune and ADM bling) / 2x CG5-AGT / Forest of Tripod legs / Star Adventurer / Orion EQ-G
550D (Modded-G.Honis) / 60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide / Mini 50 SSAG / ST-8300C / ASI120MM-S / ASI1600MM-Cool
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't... (Currently Self-Exiled to Muggy Central Florida...)
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

seigell wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:46 pm If the goal is just to transfer it from your Indoor Storage down a stairwell/hallway to the street for local use, I'd suggest that a Utility Backpack might be the best solution (with an extra foam tile to keep the protrusions from digging into your back).
This solution will put the load where the human body is best able to carry it - AND free your hands for stair rails and doorknobs (no good securing the load if the beast of burden trips down the stairs).
The problem tends to be the size (besides the weight).
The mount is 50 cm x 40 cm x 23 cm = 19.7" x 15.7" x 9", and the weight is 27 kg = 59.5 lb.

I then bought this (it adds 10 kg = 22lb to the total weight, though):
extreme-620h340_2.jpg
IMG_0765.JPG
- Juha

Ruud
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ruud »

Have you ever tried a stairclimber? It takes getting used to. Strap down the load.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stairclimber
7x50 Helios Apollo 8x42 Bresser Everest 73mm f/5.9 WO APO 4" f/5 TeleVue Genesis 6" f/10 Celestron 6SE 0.63x reducer 1.8, 2, 2.5 and 3x Barlows eyepieces from 4.5 to 34mm
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Ruud wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:24 pm Have you ever tried a stairclimber? It takes getting used to. Strap down the load.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stairclimber
No, I haven't, but I wonder how well it takes curves...?
IMG_20210515_193218_small.jpg
- Juha

gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

SkyHiker wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:15 pm In that case I would look for a cheap aluminum frame and discard the bag.

Look for an old style external frame backpack, perhaps at a thrift store or somewhere on the used market. Those from Kelty from the 1960s would be perfect. Google will bring you some pix. The bag comes right off.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Hmm, Kelty Trekker 65 External Frame Backpack is mentioned to bear 50+ lb (22+ kg). I'm not sure how well it takes 27 kg (59.5 lb). Also, how should I attach the mount to the frame, if it's unsafe to carry it with the straps (pic in the first posting).
- Juha