EQMOD com port/driver madness

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
bigfish
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

EQMOD com port/driver madness

Post by bigfish »

Hello Everyone,

I'm having a crazy time getting EQMOD to recognize the COM port on my laptop. This happened about a month ago when I first started using EQMOD and Stellarium and CDC. I was about to give up then one day it magically started working without me changing any settings or hardware.
I was using it with my Orion Skyview Pro mount for a couple three weeks. Since then I bought a SkyWatcher mount and successfully connected it on the first try. I used it all last night without any issues.
This morning I tried to use a simulation telescope in EQMOD and that's when the problem started. Now I can't connect either mounts and EQMOD says com port "not found". EQMOD also doesn't open when Stellarium opens like it used to. I read some other posts and it always seems to end by someone saying "buy a Cable of some sort". LOL :lol: I dont want to buy another cable , this thing was working great last night.
So of the things i tried.
System restore
Different USB cable
Uninstall port driver
Use different USB port
Reinstalled EQMOD
Turned off Windows firewall and anti virus software. The computer is new and working flawlessly, btw.
Any help would be appreciated! This is super frustrating.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-02-08 203346.png
Not found.jpg
Cartes du Ciel.png
Redcat 51, Orion 8"x1000mm Reflector, ASI183MC Pro, ASI533MC Pro, ASI462MC, ASI120 Mini, SVBONY SV106 Guide Scope, ZWO Mini Guide Scope, Skywatcher EQ6 Pro, Sky view Pro.
chartram United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: EQMOD com port/driver madness

Post by chartram »

Are you connecting directly to your computer or via USB hub? I’ve had issues when I forgot to turn power on to the the hub.
Mike Chartrand
Scopes: WO Star 71 Gen-II (F/4.9), Astro-Tech AT115EDT (F/7), Celestron 8" Edge HD (F/10)
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600MM w/ Baader 1.25" LRGB & Narrowband Filters, ZWO ASI174MM mini, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2
Mount: Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro
Guiding: Orion ST-80 (f/5) w/ADM MiniMax (side-by-side), ZWO OAG
Software: PHD2, Sequence Generator Pro, PixInsight
Dark Site Transportation System: 2020 Telluride SX
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

You did select COM3 in the SkyWatcher set-up?
I couldn't see what's in the ASCOM window.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

bigfish
Mars Ambassador

Post by bigfish »

chartram wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:22 pm Are you connecting directly to your computer or via USB hub? I’ve had issues when I forgot to turn power on to the the hub.
I'm hooking it up directly to the computer.
Redcat 51, Orion 8"x1000mm Reflector, ASI183MC Pro, ASI533MC Pro, ASI462MC, ASI120 Mini, SVBONY SV106 Guide Scope, ZWO Mini Guide Scope, Skywatcher EQ6 Pro, Sky view Pro.
bigfish
Mars Ambassador

Post by bigfish »

turboscrew wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:57 pm You did select COM3 in the SkyWatcher set-up?
I couldn't see what's in the ASCOM window.
The field is blank in the SkyWatcher COM picker.
And in EQMOD it says COM port not found.
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1043

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

It’s been a long time since I’ve had problems with com ports but one area that I’ve had to deal with in the past was making sure I had the correct prolific driver. I would try getting the Latest prolific driver from the SkyWatcher website and see if that fixes it.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Is it possible that the planetarium plugin is somehow still configured for the simulator?

I just tried my EQStar Losmandy box with EQMOD (connected through a COM port over USB), switched to the simulator, then back to EQStar and had no problem. I would just check that StellariumScope and the EQMOD Toolbox both show that they are connected to the mount not the simulator.

I presume you had to go through the planetarium plugin so this can't be the issue. I can't reproduce your problem.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
bigfish
Mars Ambassador

Post by bigfish »

After hours of playing with EQMOD I figured it out!
It was the BAUD setting. By default it was set to 128000. :doh:
I changed it to 115200 and it works!
Attachments
found.jpg
found.jpg (11.19 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

bigfish wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:22 am After hours of playing with EQMOD I figured it out!
It was the BAUD setting. By default it was set to 128000. :doh:
I changed it to 115200 and it works!
Two weird things: the port with bad baud setting is not even visible, and where the heck that 128000 baud came from?
In most cases the default baud rate is 115200 (or 9600).
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1043

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Well,

That's a new one!!!

Congratulations for getting it sorted out!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

lostone United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by lostone »

There has been several times with my Skywatcher EQ8 that I have to unplug the USB and plug it back in, than it works. I haven't been able to figure out the problem myself and it's been a recent development.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most! :tease:

Scope: Explorer Scientific 127CF, Askar FR600, Planewave CDK 14""
Guide Scope & Camera: ASI 174, ZWO OAG-L
Camera: QHY 268 Mono, QHY 600 Mono
Mount: Planewave L-350, Skywatcher EQ8-Rh Pro, Losmandy G11
Accessories: Moonlite Nitecrawler WR30, WR35, Eagle 3&4 Pro, QHY CFW3/7 Filterwheel, QHY Polemaster,
Software: N.I.N.A., CdC, Planewave 3, Pixinsight