Is my field flattener working?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Darkest_Element
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Is my field flattener working?

Post by Darkest_Element »

Hi everyone!

I just used my new telescope for the first time and with that I also used a field flattener for the first time. My new telescope is the Altair 72EDF FPL53 and I have a Sharpstar 2 inch field flattener. As I myself don't know much about these things since I am relatively new I let the nice person that owns the shop choose a flattener for me. I let him know that I am using a DSLR camera with an APS-C sensor, he said that this flattener can be used with my camera without any spacers.
I just took my first photo but still noticed some field curvature in the edges. This photo is also cropped in slightly.
Is this just normal since it can never be perfect (which in that case I am totaly fine with) or am I doing something wrong?
I would love to hear from you all!

~DE
M81 & M82.jpg
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Is my field flattener working?

Post by Star Dad »

To me that looks about right. I get some minor elongation on the far corners of my photos. I finally stopped using my flattener for ordinary images. I now only use it when I use my Barlow as the barlow really accentuates the elongation. Of course, I no longer use my DSLR so maybe that's why I stopped using the flattener. Maybe make some comparison images without the flattener to confirm the flattener is doing what it is supposed to do?
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Is my field flattener working?

Post by AstroBee »

As Star Dad says, some comparison shots with and without the flattener will help. Also, don't crop. The extreme edges is what you want to be looking at.

You are correct though, it will never be perfect.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com