First Deep Sky

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Uncle Joe
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

First Deep Sky

Post by Uncle Joe »

I finally managed to get out of the city on a relatively clear night with just a little moon and got some pretty cool looks at The Orion Nebula.....very exciting for a newbie with modest gear.

I would like to try a galaxy next....can anyone recommend one that would be easy to find and give me a good view through my 130mm reflector?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
130 mm Meade Newtonian Reflector
murphcc1
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: First Deep Sky

Post by murphcc1 »

Andromeda would be overhead about now.......
Meade 8" LX90 Audiostar
Nikon D750 unmodified
JASON 10x50 Binoculars
NIKON 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 12V Powertank
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats Joe! Orion Nebula is a great target to start your observing journey.

+1 for Andromeda Galaxy (M31). Bright, large, easy to find and should stand to the moon light well.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

plus 2 for m31 .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Uncle Joe
Earth Ambassador

Post by Uncle Joe »

Andromeda it is then! I hope I can actually see some detail.......
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Uncle Joe wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:43 pm I finally managed to get out of the city on a relatively clear night with just a little moon and got some pretty cool looks at The Orion Nebula.....very exciting for a newbie with modest gear.

I would like to try a galaxy next....can anyone recommend one that would be easy to find and give me a good view through my 130mm reflector?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
Hello Sir:

Download Stellarium. Left click the image.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Last edited by Refractordude on Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Joe,

While you are there, and after you observe M31, try to catch its nearby neighbors, M32 and M110.
They both should be visible as bright blobs.
If you use a sky app, and depending on your magnification, both M32 and M110 can seem much farther away from the core of M31 than you might expect. If you use goto, it should put you right on them.

Happy observing!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Presently the moon will restrict how much of M31 you will see, but its bright core should still punch through. Regarding M32 and M110, M32 is easier to see because it is a small round diffuse glow. M110 is an oval similar in shape to M31, but vastly smaller. Though M32 and M110 have similar visual magnitudes, their respective surface brightness are quite different. Thus, M110 will be more difficult to discern. For example, in our typically suburban backyard, M32 is always seen through a telescope, but M110 is sometimes not because its lower surface brightness is more susceptible to poorer sky quality.

I am uncertain how you are locating your objects, but the below chart is a good way to find M31 using Cassiopeia. If you have an app you use or an object finder system on your scope, then the chart can be ignored.
cass_andro_galaxy_600.jpg
Regarding visual magnitude and surface brightness and what they mean, I suggest you read my article "Why Can't I See That Galaxy?", which is linked below. It should explain the concept and why both are important, but why magnitude alone is not indicative of how easy it is to see a galaxy. Good luck and enjoy the learning process. Remember, the more we learn the more fun we have, and the more fun we have the more we learn. :)

https://theskysearchers.com/app.php/art ... laxy%CA%94
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
ewomack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ewomack »

For another newbie, do you mind sharing what modest gear you're using? I'm always looking for ideas and/or inspiration.
Uncle Joe
Earth Ambassador

Post by Uncle Joe »

ewomack wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:46 am For another newbie, do you mind sharing what modest gear you're using? I'm always looking for ideas and/or inspiration.
Hi ewomack....I am using a 5 in (130mm) Meade Starnavigator Reflector. It is a GOTO scope...but because of light pollution...terrain...trees and COVID...I have not been really able to run through the alignment process. I am so near NYC that the light pollution is awful.

I recently joined The Westchester Amateur Astronomers and although they are not able to have star parties right now, membership has afforded me access to a great spot in Pound Ridge to view from. That is how I was able to view M42 on Monday evening....with the help of the only other fellow who braved the cold that night.

I look forward to using more of my scopes capabilities from now on and I already am hoping to upgrade to an 8 in scope...but please don't tell my wife. ;)

If you have an opportunity to join a club I highly recommend it....it has been very beneficial to me already.

Good luck!

Joe
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Agree that M110 is a lot tougher than M32. Stellarium also has a Web page app at stellarium.org if you prefer that to downloading an app. Saguaro Astronomy Club has a number of observing target lists online.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
patrickdives
Moon Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by patrickdives »

Andromeda is a great target. Last night, I enjoyed M-81 (Bode's Galaxy) and M-82 (Cigar Galaxy). It's cool to see both at the same time in the eyepiece. You may want to give them a shot?
Equipment: Obsession Classic 15, Televue Ethos (13, 21, 6) Televue Nagler (22, 31), Explore Scientific (6.7, 18),
konza
Earth Ambassador

Post by konza »

Joe, I remember the first time i found Andromeda. With a pair of 8x10 binoculars years ago. Sheer AMAZEMENT.; Face it, You're hooked now !
"Keep looking up"
Mickey K.
Scopes: ES102 apo carbonfiber, Orion 127 mac/cas
Binos: B&L Legacy 10x50, Canon 15x50 image stabilized
Mounts: ES Twilight 1 & Exos2 goto, Orion Sky View Pro (non-goto) Targus monopod w/Manfrotto ball head
Eyepieces: Orion plossl 10 & 25, ES 24 & 16 68º, Baader Morpheus 12.5, ES 8.8 & 4.7 82º and SWM 20 70º w/ crosshairs.
Filters Orion 13 & 25% moon filter, and a sky glow
Diagonal: ES dieletric, Baader T2 BBHS mirror
"Keep Looking Up" ~Jack Horkheimer~
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

Definitely, M31 and M81. M33 is tough, as it is spread out over a large area. M82 is near M81 but is smaller and fainter. After that, M101 and M51 look nice on a clear, moonless night. After that, it's a case of seeing faint blobs where the galaxies are supposed to me.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

No Galaxies, but much more impressing once through the alignment procedure:
Open clusters M35, M44, NGC 884 & 869, M45. Very nice low power clusters
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

i was going to say orion nebula, even though you can see it in high lp , it would make a great target to view and compair again at a dark site .
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Uncle Joe
Earth Ambassador

Post by Uncle Joe »

Being new to astronomy I didn't know what TLAO meant.....I GOOGLED it. Ordered a copy and can't wait till it arrives. Thanks bro. :)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Uncle Joe wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:36 pm
I recently joined The Westchester Amateur Astronomers and although they are not able to have star parties right now, membership has afforded me access to a great spot in Pound Ridge to view from. That is how I was able to view M42 on Monday evening....with the help of the only other fellow who braved the cold that night.

I look forward to using more of my scopes capabilities from now on and I already am hoping to upgrade to an 8 in scope...but please don't tell my wife. ;)

If you have an opportunity to join a club I highly recommend it....it has been very beneficial to me already.

Good luck!

Joe
This is a great move! Gaining access to a safe dark site through joining the local club gave tremendous boost to my observing. With your 130mm telescope and a bit of experience hundreds of targets will be within your reach. Enjoy your scope for now, learn the ropes, develop your observing style. It will make selecting the next scope much easier. You may decide to go 10" or 12" instead of 8". :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I’d suggest asking some members about dark site etiquette. There might be things like not using your car’s interior lights and such that might not be explicitly written out in your club’s handbook or whatever.

It might also be a good idea to check the place out in daylight. One of my club’s sites has some hazards like a drainage ditch that I’d hate to discover by accident at night.