First Deep Sky

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: First Deep Sky

Post by turboscrew »

@Uncle Joe , you seem to be well on the way!
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

If you are at a dark sky spot M33 is fairly easily found. Also consider M101 in Ursa Major, which is a similar face-on spiral galaxy of large dimensions but low surface brightness. Another good one in Ursa Major is M108 the Surfboard galaxy which can be seen in the same field of view as the Owl Nebula (M97) which is a planetary nebula. Good luck with your evening sojourns.

:telescopewink:
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
OrigamiBat
Earth Ambassador

Post by OrigamiBat »

Andromeda has been a bit tricky for me. I usually leave it as a last target to finish up the night; Ending up not giving it enough time and just "close shop". I'll keep trying.

Now for Orion, that was a beautiful sight. I've spent 4 days in a row studying it. It was amazing to compare views from an 80mm ED and a 6" Reflector. Both showed great views. The 80mm ED showed a small frame but looked like an HD picture; Nice contrast and clean view. As for the 6" Reflector... Grand view of the Trapezium!!!

Keep at it Joe!!
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Uncle Joe wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:37 pm Andromeda it is then! I hope I can actually see some detail.......
I have been to Port Chester. How much you see of Andromeda, or anything, depends on how long you look. We see with the brain and the mind based on what we expect our eyes to tell us. Also, there is peripheral viewing, looking off to the right or left, not on-center. You will pick up more detail. It helps to know what you are looking at. One of the other regulars here mentioned being able to see the arms of the Andromeda Galaxy. I found that hard to believe, but stood corrected. It depends on knowing what you are looking at when you see those very faint details of not-darkness.

In the book, Turn Left at Orion, Guy Consolmagno tells of being shown the stunning double star Albireo from Fort Lee, New Jersey.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Uncle Joe wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:36 pm I recently joined The Westchester Amateur Astronomers and although they are not able to have star parties right now ...
Great! Your local club will be an excellent resource in many ways.

Do they have virtual meetings?
Does your membership include membership in The Astronomical League?
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
Uncle Joe
Earth Ambassador

Post by Uncle Joe »

mikemarotta wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:10 am
Uncle Joe wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:36 pm I recently joined The Westchester Amateur Astronomers and although they are not able to have star parties right now ...
Great! Your local club will be an excellent resource in many ways.

Do they have virtual meetings?
Does your membership include membership in The Astronomical League?
Hi Mike,

I don't think that it includes membership in The Astronomical League. I did meet one other guy in the parking lot of a state park used as their dark area one evening last month. He told me the virtual meetings were not so great and he didn't attend anymore. I didn't think they would be beneficial to me considering I didn't know the ropes at all, never having attended a real one. Maybe I should reconsider...?
130 mm Meade Newtonian Reflector
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Well, we can discuss this in a different topic area but basically, every club is different. We have one member here, also on the executive committee, who complains that our club is not as large or as active as his old one in a different state. Well, okay...

Our Zoom meetings are better attended than our live meetings because we had geography problems with parking and such. Now, we do not. Also, many people are fairly well oriented to creating PowerPoints, though we have had guest speakers who did not use them, but just met us in their workshops. It just depends.

One thing, though, I here I have to agree with you, what we are missing is the one-on-one impromptu tutorials, the orientation to your instrument, questions about add-ons, tricks and traps, that sort of thing that people share.

We also used to have equipment demos by our members: how to set up an equatorial mount, stuff like that. So, yes, I hear you.

https://www.aaa.org/links/astronomy-clubs-near-nyc/
https://www.go-astronomy.com/astro-club ... p?State=NY
https://www.astroleague.org/societies/CT
https://www.astroleague.org/societies/NY

And for all of that, this board is a great virtual club.

Best Regards,
Mike M.,
Michael E. Marotta
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1044

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Uncle Joe wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:22 pm
Being new to astronomy I didn't know what TLAO meant.....I GOOGLED it. Ordered a copy and can't wait till it arrives. Thanks bro. :)
TLAO aka Turn Left at Orion has and always will be the 'go to' book for anyone beginning astronomy! It's a 'must have'. Thanks to @pakarinen for thinking of it!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.