Power supply?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Power supply?

Post by Larry 1969 »

Sorry for all the questions but I'm bored. Waiting to go to a party.
Anyway, right now I'm using one of those portable jump packs and a few sessions ago I had set up pretty early while it was still pretty bright.
I set the time, date and coordinates as usual and just left the scope on until it was dark enough to get started.
After my alignment I noticed I wasn't get very accurate gotos. After re-aligning a few times I found the time in the hand controller off by 8 minutes.
I reset the time and I was good to go. So here's the question.....

I set the hand controller to monitor the voltage and with the jump pack it read 11.3V. After leaving it on for a while it dropped to 11.0V and would dip to 10.8V while slewing.
I also have a cheap AC adapter that reads 11.1V and dips to 11.0V while slewing. Running an extension cord to my scope is no problem. Might actually be nice with the cheap laptop.
Is there an AC adapter anyone could recommend that would give me more voltage?

P.S. I'm not even sure that 11.0V is a problem but I suspect it may be.

Thanks!

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Power supply?

Post by JayTee »

Hi Larry,

I often used my jump pack power supply plugged into the wall when running my scope. I never had voltage issues when I set it up that way. At one point, I tried to get one of my club members to measure the DC output to see if it was clean or dirty DC, but I never got around to that unfortunately. But my scopes never had a problem with that way of getting power to my mount.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Most astro equipment requires a "nominal" 12 volts. "Nominal" because in effect that means 13.5 volts in normal operation, and a minimum of 12 volts. You should not be operating below 12 volts, because most electronics start to get flakey if the voltage is low.

Make sure that your jump start pack is fully charged. It should be 13.5 volts when charged. If you can't get it up to that voltage after hours of charging, it probably needs to be replaced.

A plug-in power adapter should likewise supply more than 12 volts, even if it is nominally rated at 12v. Get one with an output of 3 amps or more. Most mounts draw 2 amps when slewing, leaving you 1 amp in reserve. If you are going to be using dew heaters or other equipment, your power requirements will go up.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Ozypic
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ozypic »

Id say its way to low. Phill
images.png
images.png (3.41 KiB) Viewed 2783 times
Phill. Dreaming of Clear Skys .... :D :D :D
SCOPE : Skywatcher 120X600 ST Achromatic Refractor. 
EP's : 25mm & 10mm Plossl , Celestron 8/24mm Zoom EP,
Filters : Solar filter, Badder Fringe Killer & Moon/Skyglow. 
MOUNT : Skywatcher Star Discovery goto Mount.
CAMERAS : ZWO 120 asi MC. / Sony HX400V 50X Zoom.
Binoculars : Saxon 10x50
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Thanks for the replies!

My jump pack is fully charged each session.

11.1V is the highest it gets........ (at least according to the hand controller)........

So 13.5V or so is OK?

I'll look for a new power supply.

Thanks again!

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
dghent
SME

Post by dghent »

Jumpstart batteries are not made for continuous, long-term, power output. They are designed for their role in life - turning a starter with high amounts of current that quickly falls off. Marine deep-cycles and AGM (and on the expensive end, LiFePO4) batteries are designed for supplying constant current and these should be the ones used in an electronics.

If you have access to AC power where you observe, you will be better off with a 12V regulated power supply. A reliably good and basic example of one is the Pyramid PS9KX.

As for voltage, 12V DC electronics are usually pretty tolerant of voltages over 12V. In fact, your mount's motors will certainly benefit from 13-14V in colder weather. I run my gear up to 14.5V on my fully-charge LiFePO4 batteries.
Scopes: Astro-Physics 130GTX (w/ FocusBoss), CFF 92mm f/6, Telescop-Service 130mm f/7, Orion XT10i dob (Protostar flocking, Moonlite focuser retrofitted)
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach1GTO, Rainbow Astro RST-135, Fornax LighTrack II
Solar: DayStar Quantum, Quarks: H-alpha Chrom+Prom, Ca-H, Mg I-B2, Baader Herschel Wedge
Cameras: QHY294C, ZWO ASI1600MM, ASI174MM, ASI290MC, ASI290MM-Mini
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCap Pro, TheSkyX, AS3!, PixInsight, ASTAP
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Good party?

I use one of these:

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/me ... -unit.html

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Graeme1858 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:28 am Good party?

I use one of these:

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/me ... -unit.html

Regards

Graeme
Yeah.... It was a good party. Thanks!

The power supply in your link appears to be european (240V).
However, similar to the one dghent posted. I'm going to have to get one.

Thanks again!

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
Gulf Coast Guy
Mars Ambassador

Post by Gulf Coast Guy »

I needed alittle depth before my stroke(mount, Dew heaters, and an inverter for my laptop so I built one. I've since sold all my power tools.
Image20190707_153338 by pat w1, on Flickr
Image20190707_153427 by pat w1, on Flickr
Image20190707_153512 by pat w1, on Flickr

I'm not upset about the power tools. The sale bought - THIS.
Image20190704_105845 by pat w1, on Flickr

Which accounts for the dismal skies for the last few weeks.

Oh- well.
OTA's: 203mm f10 Meade SCT (LXD75); Antares 80mm Refractor w/William Optics APOGrade f6.9 objective; Orion Starseeker 80 f11.2 Refractor
Mount/tripod's: Meade LXD-75 EQ; Orion Starseeker IV ALT/AZ; Celestron Heavy Duty ALT/AZ Farpoint UBM (Universal Binocular Mount)
Eyepieces:Meade - 26mm plossl, 12mm Astrometric; GSO (OPT badge) 2" Superview 50mm & 30mm 1.25" 15mm; TMB Planetary Series 9mm, 6mm, & 4mm: 10mm & 23mm 60° that came with the 80mm f11.2
Barlows: Orion 2x Shorty; Meade 4000 Series 3x
Binoculars:Brunton 10x50 Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Oberwerk 25x100 IF delux
Gulf Coast Guy
Mars Ambassador

Post by Gulf Coast Guy »

The PS is heavy enough to use as a stabaizing balast weight for my LXD75 tripod. That's what the hooks and chains are for.
OTA's: 203mm f10 Meade SCT (LXD75); Antares 80mm Refractor w/William Optics APOGrade f6.9 objective; Orion Starseeker 80 f11.2 Refractor
Mount/tripod's: Meade LXD-75 EQ; Orion Starseeker IV ALT/AZ; Celestron Heavy Duty ALT/AZ Farpoint UBM (Universal Binocular Mount)
Eyepieces:Meade - 26mm plossl, 12mm Astrometric; GSO (OPT badge) 2" Superview 50mm & 30mm 1.25" 15mm; TMB Planetary Series 9mm, 6mm, & 4mm: 10mm & 23mm 60° that came with the 80mm f11.2
Barlows: Orion 2x Shorty; Meade 4000 Series 3x
Binoculars:Brunton 10x50 Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Oberwerk 25x100 IF delux
TCampbell United States of America
Moon Ambassador

Post by TCampbell »

As previously noted ... if you are using a lead-acid battery then 11.0 volts is basically a dead battery.

I previously used lead-acid batteries. Lead acid technology likes to be mostly full all the time (which is they are used as starter batteries in cars). Draining them low cuts into their overall life. Ideally they shouldn't be drained lower than 80% ... and they DEFINITELY should never been drained below 50% (that will shorten their overall life). If you use lead-acid ... it's a good idea to use a battery tender/maintainer to keep it topped off. It's not good for their overall life if they sit unused for months (e.g. if you observe less during cold winter months, etc.)

Lithium technology can be drained low and they weigh a LOT less than lead acid batteries. Oddly... a brand new "12v" Lithium battery wont really supply 12v. It's more like 11.9 with a Lithium battery in perfect condition. They'll start to drain down to around 10.8 and then stay there ... very steady ... until they are depleted (and then it drops the rest of the way very quickly). So if you use a Lithium battery ... if it doesn't have a regulated power supply you would probably need a Buck Converter to step up the voltage a bit.

I use a 12-15v buck converter (my mount can run on anywhere from 12-18v ... it's actually ok down at 10.8v but it's losing torque). Specifically I bought one of these: It has raw input & output wires, so I did have to solder on appropriate ends. But it accepts an input voltage anywhere in the 9-13v range (my Lithium pack is supply 10.8-11.9 so it's in the middle of the range). I'm not sure what the power range is for *your* specific mount ... so this same adapter may NOT be ideal for your mount. Check the input voltage range for your mount.
Scopes: PlaneWave 12.5 CDK - Meade 14" LX200-ACF - TeleVue NP101is - Lunt LS80Ha
Mounts: Losmandy G11 - Losmandy GM8 - Losmandy StarLapse
Cameras: Canon 60Da - ZWO ASI128MC-Pro - ZWO ASI174MM-Cool - ZWO ASI174MM-Mini
Software (Raspberry Pi): ZWO ASIair - StellarMate / Software (Mac): AstroImager - AstroDSLR - AstroGuider
Wish list items: Weather Controller
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Thanks TCampbell!
I got the power supply that dghent suggested.
It says it's 13.8V and I am reading 12.7 at the hand controller.
Should be good. Hoping to try it all out this weekend!

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C