Star tracker or GOTO?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Star tracker or GOTO?

Post by maceemiller »

Hi all.

As the title suggests what should I invest in?
I will be predominantly using a DSLR with lens and occasionally a small 70mm refractor.

Interested in your opinions.

Thankyou
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Star tracker or GOTO?

Post by JayTee »

Knowing your budget would help?

JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I'm thinking about getting a mirror-less DSLR to try some astrophotography and will likely go with a tracker if I ever get that far. I have concerns about the reliability / robustness of (some) go-to mounts. Plus some trackers are mechanical and don't need a power supply.

I also have an short 80mm refractor, but it might be too heavy for the currently available trackers.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by maceemiller »

JayTee wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:36 am Knowing your budget would help?

JT
Good point! I'm looking at about £250
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

maceemiller wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:38 pm

JT
Macemiller,
I'm not familiar with local prices in UK but I don't think there are any GOTO EQ mounts that are astrophotography capable around that price point. You need an accurate drive system. The Sky Watcher Star Adventurer should be around that price and I've seen some owners get excellent results with them. Just remember that you need to be able to accurately polar align and then know your way around the sky to point the camera at your targets. In saying this, I'm not being flippant. I run a nightscape photography course over here and in my last class, four of the participants had bought Star Adventurer or Polarie trackers but found they could not polar align them accurately enough to use them. Unfortunately the course content was all about fixed tripod photography, no time to address this problem. We are going to tee up some sessions in the new year on polar alignment technique.

A mount for prime focus AP with an 80mm refractor needs to be both accurate and solid. Probably something like a HEQ5 or VX. But those are well above your price point. So you either need to increase your budget or scrap your plans to do AP with the refractor and look at trackers for DSLR.

Good luck

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by maceemiller »

OzEclipse wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:02 pm
maceemiller wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:38 pm

JT
Macemiller,
I'm not familiar with local prices in UK but I don't think there are any GOTO EQ mounts that are astrophotography capable around that price point. You need an accurate drive system. The Sky Watcher Star Adventurer should be around that price and I've seen some owners get excellent results with them. Just remember that you need to be able to accurately polar align and then know your way around the sky to point the camera at your targets. In saying this, I'm not being flippant. I run a nightscape photography course over here and in my last class, four of the participants had bought Star Adventurer or Polarie trackers but found they could not polar align them accurately enough to use them. Unfortunately the course content was all about fixed tripod photography, no time to address this problem. We are going to tee up some sessions in the new year on polar alignment technique.

A mount for prime focus AP with an 80mm refractor needs to be both accurate and solid. Probably something like a HEQ5 or VX. But those are well above your price point. So you either need to increase your budget or scrap your plans to do AP with the refractor and look at trackers for DSLR.

Good luck

Joe
Thankyou.

I'm going to take some time to think about where I'm going with AP as I know it can get expensive quick!

Just been looking at your website....I love it!
Bookmarked for certain revisiting :)

Carl