Artificial star - what am I missing

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Artificial star - what am I missing

Post by OzEclipse »

This is really stretching the grey matter..... I did a small research project on optical diffraction patterns and resolution when I was a physics student at university in the early 1980s.

My recollection is that you need a function to describe light intensity across the aperture profile. Then you need to apply a fast fourier transform to the aperture profile.

For a typical aperture, and a simple refractor (no obstructions) the resulting diffraction pattern/airy disk is then described by a mutli order Bessel function.
Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 11.22.17 am.png
I was investigating apodization masks, masks that apply a modified intensity profile across the aperture to attempt to modify the diffraction pattern to attempt to improve optical resolution. It is now 40 years since I did any of this and I did it at a time when "Physicists were real men who wrote their own fourier transform code." None of the MATLAB / SCILAB nonsense :lol:

Seriously though, after 40 years, I am very rusty on this stuff and this is about as much as I can remember of the technique.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

OzEclipse wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:55 am
I was investigating apodization masks, masks that apply a modified intensity profile across the aperture to attempt to modify the diffraction pattern to attempt to improve optical resolution. It is now 40 years since I did any of this and I did it at a time when "Physicists were real men who wrote their own fourier transform code." None of the MATLAB / SCILAB nonsense :lol:

Seriously though, after 40 years, I am very rusty on this stuff and this is about as much as I can remember of the technique.

Joe
Ditto here Joe, about the same time frame, actually wrote a Q-Basic program, I think, to solve the mask contribution to the pattern. It's laying around somewhere on an 8' floppy, probably. Also, cut a couple masks and they worked, but not enough to justify the side effects, rainbow rays and narrow FOV. However, the program did provide a solution to the obstructed aperture condition. Built a 50% obstructed 6" f8 folded Newt. Basically the resolving power improved to 0.5" from 0.8", but the first diffraction ring enlarges. Useful for tight double star splitting, but not planetary observing as the contrast is degraded by the enlarged diffraction.

Fun stuff, if you like juggling Bessel functions. Always a sucker for experimenting.

Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

sdbodin wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:45 am Ditto here Joe, about the same time frame, actually wrote a Q-Basic program, I think, to solve the mask contribution to the pattern. It's laying around somewhere on an 8' floppy, probably. Also, cut a couple masks and they worked, but not enough to justify the side effects, rainbow rays and narrow FOV. However, the program did provide a solution to the obstructed aperture condition. Built a 50% obstructed 6" f8 folded Newt. Basically the resolving power improved to 0.5" from 0.8", but the first diffraction ring enlarges. Useful for tight double star splitting, but not planetary observing as the contrast is degraded by the enlarged diffraction.

Fun stuff, if you like juggling Bessel functions. Always a sucker for experimenting.

Steve
Thanks for the confirmation. Interesting we were both working on it at the same time? As I recall, there was an article around that time in either S&T or Astronomy magazines about these apodization masks that inspired the idea for the project.

However, it was so long ago, I wasn't sure if I was remembering the mathematical method correctly and whether or not to post something.

My FT program was also in quick basic and run on an Apple II. I had a mainframe account but it was CPU time limited and preferred to keep it for debugging my comp sci programming assessments. I was never much of a programmer.

I then constructed some 4" masks & used a pinhole artificial star on a 4" f15 Unitron refractor in the lab and photographed to B&W film then scanned on a microdensitometer. But the photographed patterns were so messy I couldn't really experimentally confirm anything. Although the lab was big, it wasn't that big and the star was only located at about 4 x FL. So less than ideal.

I also made some 6" masks for my 6" f7 Newtonian and did some visual field testing. Like you, I found a marginal apparent improvement but it was so small and the radial rainbows really only made it useful for splitting double stars and the difference was marginal. I was using flyscreen mesh for my mask material. An optical density mask was not within budget but might have produced less rainbows and better results.

cheers

Joe
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

OzEclipse wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:35 am

I also made some 6" masks for my 6" f7 Newtonian and did some visual field testing. Like you, I found a marginal apparent improvement but it was so small and the radial rainbows really only made it useful for splitting double stars and the difference was marginal. I was using flyscreen mesh for my mask material. An optical density mask was not within budget but might have produced less rainbows and better results.

cheers

Joe
Just amazing, half a world apart, 35 odd years ago, working on the same idea. Same plastic screen material method, I used an old photo light meter to get the approximate light through-put for the beam shading needed. And, like you, the best solution would have been an optical coating that provided the correct function. But too expensive for an amateur.

Well, I will have to dig up that old computer program and see if I actually put in on a 3" floppy, but finding one of those floppy drives around the house might be a problem too.

Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

sdbodin wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:36 am
OzEclipse wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:35 am

cheers

Joe
Just amazing, half a world apart, 35 odd years ago, working on the same idea. Same plastic screen material method, I used an old photo light meter to get the approximate light through-put for the beam shading needed. And, like you, the best solution would have been an optical coating that provided the correct function. But too expensive for an amateur.

Well, I will have to dig up that old computer program and see if I actually put in on a 3" floppy, but finding one of those floppy drives around the house might be a problem too.

Steve
Steve,

At my former work, where I still have a 5 year visitor/consultant status, we have a room we call the O.D.D. room. Old disc drives(O.D.D.) are kept with drivers on computers specifically so that old data that wasn't maintained can be read and converted to modern format. It wouldn't surprise me if they even had an 8" floppy drive. If however, it's on a 3.5" , I have one. I am helping to decommission an old mass spectrometer that gave fantastically accurate data but needed such an old processor that we had to write data to a 3.5" FDD then read it into our office computers to process. So I have a 3.5" FDD on my office computer. But then you'll need to find something to run it. ;-)

Joe
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

SkyHiker wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:49 pm I attached my calculations about how rays emanating from a point source that is placed at a finite distance from a parabolic mirror, are reflected. It is just geometry based and exact in the sense that no ideal lens formulas are used that assume some approximation.

While I obtained closed formulas for the points of intersections with the optical axis and corresponding path lengths to those points, it does not really say anything about Airy discs because I have no clue how interference of rays in close proximity is described. I found P-V values numerically based on finding the points where the deviation from the optical axis is minimal, for a number of use cases.

All this is probably worth nothing but it resulted in some pretty pictures, I attached one here.

I also attached the Scilab script to execute the math, for who wants to make more pretty pictures.
@SkyHiker, @Gordon, This posting needs to be an article!
viewtopic.php?p=131077#p131077
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

You know what... from the other thread, Fritz reminded me of a book that I actually have and that I forgot about: "Star testing astronomical telescopes", by Harold Richard Suiter. He indeed describes the minimum distance and maximum aperture of an artificial star.

Regarding the distance, he first quote a rule by Welford that for "normal" F ratio telescopes it should be 20x the focal length. Then he quotes who did some ray tracing by Roger Sinnott (S&T May 1991) who came up with an empirical rule of 336*D/F^3 (D in inches, F=focal ratio) or (1/137)*D/(F^3*lambda) (arbitrary units). Next he comes up with an ellipsoidal shape aligned with the major axis that touches at the origin and the edge, looks at the difference with the parabolic shape, which is (1/128)*D/(F^3*lambda). Let me look into that, it should not be difficult to derive a differential equation that makes the rays converge in one point, then solve it (the hard part I guess) and compare it with the paraboloid, then take 2x the difference.

In other words this problem has been studied well. Of course there's OSLO, which I installed on my computer about 7 years ago that should be able to d some ray tracing I hope, the interface is rather terse. Maybe I should give it another try.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

SkyHiker wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:30 pm You know what... from the other thread, Fritz reminded me of a book that I actually have and that I forgot about: "Star testing astronomical telescopes", by Harold Richard Suiter. He indeed describes the minimum distance and maximum aperture of an artificial star.

Regarding the distance, he first quote a rule by Welford that for "normal" F ratio telescopes it should be 20x the focal length. Then he quotes who did some ray tracing by Roger Sinnott (S&T May 1991) who came up with an empirical rule of 336*D/F^3 (D in inches, F=focal ratio) or (1/137)*D/(F^3*lambda) (arbitrary units). Next he comes up with an ellipsoidal shape aligned with the major axis that touches at the origin and the edge, looks at the difference with the parabolic shape, which is (1/128)*D/(F^3*lambda). Let me look into that, it should not be difficult to derive a differential equation that makes the rays converge in one point, then solve it (the hard part I guess) and compare it with the paraboloid, then take 2x the difference.

In other words this problem has been studied well. Of course there's OSLO, which I installed on my computer about 7 years ago that should be able to d some ray tracing I hope, the interface is rather terse. Maybe I should give it another try.
That's still no excuse not to put the document in the articles. :smile:
People are not always searching an easy way to get by a problem at hand. Some people like to learn too.
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

a100171 United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by a100171 »

Whenever I think that I might be smarter than I am, all I need to do is try to follow some of the math/physics started in this thread.

Or worse yet, read through that book ( Star Testing Astronomical Telescopes by Harold Richard Suiter) mentioned here. I bought this hardcover a while back (fifth edition, 2001), and cannot recall who recommended the book. Yeah, this is quite a book. Makes me wish I still had my old physics/calculus books.

My Evelyn Wood Speed-reading pass through the section on Artificial Stars was not helpful. Definitely not a skimmer of a book. Very comprehensive. But I have got to start getting smarter again.

If I hit the Megabucks on Friday, I will be sure to make sure anyone needing a copy could have one.
Meade 6", 8", and 10" SN, Meade 10" f/6.3 Lx200, ES ES-102, Meade 90mm DS-2000, Celestron CPC-800 HD, Celestron , AVX, CGEM-DX, Twilight I mounts. Omegon 2.1x 41mm Binocs.
Hyperstar for EdgeHD, ZWO and Celestron Nightscape CCD. A fully-functional Meade 12" RCX-400.
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

a100171 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:28 pm Whenever I think that I might be smarter than I am, all I need to do is try to follow some of the math/physics started in this thread.
You have to realise that everybody who posted about math in this thread, was trained in it while doing degrees in Engineering, Physics or Maths. At the time I did my work, I was immersed in these forms of calculus doing my degree in Physics/Maths so it was "easy." As I admitted in one of my first posts in this thread, I am now very rusty in this type of math having barely used this stuff in nearly 40 years. These days, my calculus is very average though my trigonometry which I mostly use in astronomy is still pretty good.

If you have never been trained in this stuff, it will certainly appear very confusing to you and that we are all much smarter than we actually are.

cheers

Joe
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

OzEclipse wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:21 pm
a100171 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:28 pm Whenever I think that I might be smarter than I am, all I need to do is try to follow some of the math/physics started in this thread.
You have to realise that everybody who posted about math in this thread, was trained in it while doing degrees in Engineering, Physics or Maths. At the time I did my work, I was immersed in these forms of calculus doing my degree in Physics/Maths so it was "easy." As I admitted in one of my first posts in this thread, I am now very rusty in this type of math having barely used this stuff in nearly 40 years. These days, my calculus is very average though my trigonometry which I mostly use in astronomy is still pretty good.

If you have never been trained in this stuff, it will certainly appear very confusing to you and that we are all much smarter than we actually are.

cheers

Joe
In this thread, I'm obviously below average in math, but I wasn't born with even that much math, neither did it drop some night from the heaven. :lol: Then again, I can't weld and I'm not able to do much more cooking than boil water without burning it.
- Juha

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

OzEclipse wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:55 am This is really stretching the grey matter..... I did a small research project on optical diffraction patterns and resolution when I was a physics student at university in the early 1980s.

My recollection is that you need a function to describe light intensity across the aperture profile. Then you need to apply a fast fourier transform to the aperture profile.

For a typical aperture, and a simple refractor (no obstructions) the resulting diffraction pattern/airy disk is then described by a mutli order Bessel function.

Joe
You are right that simple geometric reasoning has little to do with diffraction patterns. Huygens' principle describes how wave fronts bend through openings. Fresnel found a way to describe diffraction patterns based on Huygens' principle. But Kirchhoff's wave function based diffraction formula seems to be the only complete solution. Huygens'/Fresnel was still lacking because Huygens only considered forward moving secondary waves. This error was only resolved in 1991 by Miller.

In other words, simple geometric analysis based on exact reflection or refraction of light rays is simply inadequate. The variation in the wave front that I found based on reflection of individual rays was about 10 times larger than the ones in other references. These other references are sometimes based on the lens formula (that I have shown is inexact for parabolic mirrors) and on crossing the Y-axis (which I have shown is largely irrelevant), and sometimes have missing math. In other words, be highly skeptical of such work.

My latest result are based on fitting an ellipse to the quadratic mirror and basing the reflection phase difference at the focal point on twice the distance (not accounting for how far the rays are apart at the point of convergence other than total path length). In that case I get deviations comparable to the other references I have found. Note that the refraction by an elliptic surface is exact if the light source is in a focal point, and that the path traveled is the same for all rays. But the problem still remains that the path length difference is only one aspect, while the other difference (the angle at which the rays are reflected) have a much more severe impact.

While the geometry of ray reflection is definitely interesting, this kind of reasoning can't be trusted to tell anything about diffraction. For that, the wave function must be used with Kirchhoff's formulas, as far as I can tell.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

SkyHiker wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:50 pm
OzEclipse wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:55 am This is really stretching the grey matter..... I did a small research project on optical diffraction patterns and resolution when I was a physics student at university in the early 1980s.

Joe
You are right that simple geometric reasoning has little to do with diffraction patterns. Huygens' principle describes how wave fronts bend through openings. Fresnel found a way to describe diffraction patterns based on Huygens' principle. But Kirchhoff's wave function based diffraction formula seems to be the only complete solution. Huygens'/Fresnel was still lacking because Huygens only considered forward moving secondary waves. This error was only resolved in 1991 by Miller.

In other words, simple geometric analysis based on exact reflection or refraction of light rays is simply inadequate. The variation in the wave front that I found based on reflection of individual rays was about 10 times larger than the ones in other references. These other references are sometimes based on the lens formula (that I have shown is inexact for parabolic mirrors) and on crossing the Y-axis (which I have shown is largely irrelevant), and sometimes have missing math. In other words, be highly skeptical of such work.

My latest result are based on fitting an ellipse to the quadratic mirror and basing the reflection phase difference at the focal point on twice the distance (not accounting for how far the rays are apart at the point of convergence other than total path length). In that case I get deviations comparable to the other references I have found. Note that the refraction by an elliptic surface is exact if the light source is in a focal point, and that the path traveled is the same for all rays. But the problem still remains that the path length difference is only one aspect, while the other difference (the angle at which the rays are reflected) have a much more severe impact.

While the geometry of ray reflection is definitely interesting, this kind of reasoning can't be trusted to tell anything about diffraction. For that, the wave function must be used with Kirchhoff's formulas, as far as I can tell.
I wonder if this is of interest...
http://jzbuchwald.caltech.edu/downloads ... action.pdf
- Juha

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

I figured out the math by matching an ellipse to the paraboloid and finding the maximum deviation times two to determine the path length difference of a reflected ray. An elliptic mirror is a perfect reflector for a source placed in its farthest focal point, with an equal path length for a ray starting in one focal point and ending in the other. The difference with the earlier geometric approach is that the reflection angle is ignored, which is appropriate for the rays that are involved in diffraction patterns. They come from the edge of the mirror that functions as a light source from the viewpoint of diffraction.

The math was laborious but doable. The outcome is: minimum distance (in m) = 9(D/F)^2 where D is the mirror radius in inches, and F is the focal ratio, for 1/4 wavelength tolerance at 560 nm. The values that I get correspond well with a few references that I found (including an empirical one). Aside from the math I also did the same thing by numerical optimization and put all results in a table. So, this approach is actually valid as opposed to my earlier suspicion. The exact geometric reflection is simply not very relevant.

I attached an updated version of the document just to be complete. I certainly hope it is final, I don't know how many times I had to use Scilab to track down and fix errors in my math! It was fun solving it and the resulting graphics also look cool.
Attachments
artificialStar.pdf
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 111 times
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

GREAT job, SkyHiker!
Now, this NEEDS to go into articles, please!
- Juha

OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

SkyHiker wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:21 pm I figured out the math by matching an ellipse to the paraboloid and finding the maximum deviation times two to determine the path length difference of a reflected ray. An elliptic mirror is a perfect reflector for a source placed in its farthest focal point, with an equal path length for a ray starting in one focal point and ending in the other. The difference with the earlier geometric approach is that the reflection angle is ignored, which is appropriate for the rays that are involved in diffraction patterns. They come from the edge of the mirror that functions as a light source from the viewpoint of diffraction.

The math was laborious but doable. The outcome is: minimum distance (in m) = 9(D/F)^2 where D is the mirror radius in inches, and F is the focal ratio, for 1/4 wavelength tolerance at 560 nm. The values that I get correspond well with a few references that I found (including an empirical one). Aside from the math I also did the same thing by numerical optimization and put all results in a table. So, this approach is actually valid as opposed to my earlier suspicion. The exact geometric reflection is simply not very relevant.

I attached an updated version of the document just to be complete. I certainly hope it is final, I don't know how many times I had to use Scilab to track down and fix errors in my math! It was fun solving it and the resulting graphics also look cool.
Hi Henk,

I only just got around to reading this in detail. Great job BTW.

When I looked at the formula your post and worked out the distance for my 18"f5.5, it came to 24 metres. Intuitively, it didn't seem right, seemed to close. The notation also looked odd. Then I read your paper.

In your post, you wrote, "The outcome is: minimum distance (in m) = 9(D/F)^2 where D is the mirror radius in inches, and F is the focal ratio, for 1/4 wavelength tolerance at 560 nm. "

When I read this, I wondered why you would use D to represent mirror radius instead of R. Using the radius in the formula yields very short minimum distances. When I went through your paper, I noted that D is, in fact, mirror diameter not radius.

The post should read, as per your paper, "The outcome is: minimum distance (in m) = 9(D/F)^2 where D is the mirror diameter in inches, and F is the focal ratio, for 1/4 wavelength tolerance at 560 nm."

Cheers

Joe
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

OzEclipse wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:36 pm
SkyHiker wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:21 pm I figured out the math by matching an ellipse to the paraboloid and finding the maximum deviation times two to determine the path length difference of a reflected ray. An elliptic mirror is a perfect reflector for a source placed in its farthest focal point, with an equal path length for a ray starting in one focal point and ending in the other. The difference with the earlier geometric approach is that the reflection angle is ignored, which is appropriate for the rays that are involved in diffraction patterns. They come from the edge of the mirror that functions as a light source from the viewpoint of diffraction.

Hi Henk,

I only just got around to reading this in detail. Great job BTW.

When I looked at the formula your post and worked out the distance for my 18"f5.5, it came to 24 metres. Intuitively, it didn't seem right, seemed to close. The notation also looked odd. Then I read your paper.

In your post, you wrote, "The outcome is: minimum distance (in m) = 9(D/F)^2 where D is the mirror radius in inches, and F is the focal ratio, for 1/4 wavelength tolerance at 560 nm. "

When I read this, I wondered why you would use D to represent mirror radius instead of R. Using the radius in the formula yields very short minimum distances. When I went through your paper, I noted that D is, in fact, mirror diameter not radius.

The post should read, as per your paper, "The outcome is: minimum distance (in m) = 9(D/F)^2 where D is the mirror diameter in inches, and F is the focal ratio, for 1/4 wavelength tolerance at 560 nm."

Cheers

Joe
Hi Joe

Thanks for the correction! I had it right in the article but not in the reporting. To repeat it,

The outcome is: minimum distance (in m) = 9(D/F)^2 where D is the mirror diameter in inches, and F is the focal ratio, for 1/4 wavelength tolerance at 560 nm.

Both Carlin and Suiter use the diameter D so for comparison, that's what I aimed for. It evolved over time though. During the math I found that it is more convenient to use the radius in order to avoid powers of 2 everywhere, which I why at some point I defined d (lower case) as the radius (explicitly warning and mentioning that it means the radius not the diameter). In the end, for a user friendly formula that compares with Carlin and Suiter's formulae it is best to express the final result in the diameter D in inches (as much as I favor the metric system). Elsewhere I used D as the path length from source to Y axis crossing - redoing the notation was a bit much at that point especially since the X axis crossings are not all that relevant. My comparison for the test cases was thorough enough for me to have confidence in the results.

Thanks for reading it, the paper should actually be reviewed by others to check the math not just me. For me the fun was in getting a better understanding of mirrors, both parabolic and elliptic. The graphics were great fun too, as was seeing the optimization pinpointing the solutions. Scilab is really a fantastic free tool to do this with, I use it a lot.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I think I should have a look into the Scilab.
- Juha