Two Recent Mistakes

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Two Recent Mistakes

Post by mikemarotta »

"If you think that education is expensive, try ignorance." In numismatics, we say, "Buy the book before you buy the coin." I actually had the book - Harrington's Star Ware; reviewed here https://www.theskysearchers.com/viewtop ... 10&t=15227 - but had not gotten to the part about the 40mm ocular ("eyepiece") before mine was on its way.
"Also, avoid any 1.25-inch 40mm Plössl. Although magnification is very low, their apparent fields of view are narrowed than 32-mm Plössls with 1.25-inch barrels. In the end, the real fields of view (or how much sky actually squeezes into view) are actually the same, but the slightly higher magnification of the 32-mm Plössl will produce better image contrast." -- page 183.
Mine arrived yesterday and I went out last night with my 102-mm f/6.47 refractor. The 40-mm was perfect the Pleiades. Almost nothing else went well and surely not better than any other arrangement I already have. I will say that I used the 40-mm on eta Cassiopeiae and knowning what I was looking for and what I was look at, even at 16.5X magnification, I could see the companion. It is amazing what you can see with just a little optical advantage. My basic intention was to use the 40-mm with a 2X Barlow to deliver the same magnification as a 20-mm but with a wider field of view and better eye relief. It just depends on what you are looking for and looking at. Just for example, where I live the Milky Way now is not visible naked eye. However, lining up Albireo in the Swan (Northern Cross), I saw that it does come through with the telescope. So, it is not a total loss, and the cost of the 40-mm ocular was $20-$25, a small tuition.

On the other hand, I bought a 5X Focal Extender. The customer service rep at Explore Scientific did talk me out of it when I bought my 102 in October. He warned me that with my backyard sky and the 102-mm refractor, all I would get was a close-up view of a bad view of Mars. I bought the 5X Focal Extender a month later. I used it once and then used it again last night. It is pretty much $279 worth of nice glass sitting in a box. I do have other telescopes. And our club does have a Covid-compliant dark sky site. But it was a purchase that I did not need to make.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Two Recent Mistakes

Post by Ylem »

I like my 40mm Plossl.
With an exception of my ST-80, it's life in the slow lane around here LOL
My two most used EPs are my 24mm pan knock off and my 40mm.
They both give me the same FOV but a wide range of magnification.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

It took me three decades to learn that if you have good primary optics, good quality eyepieces are worth the investment. For 30 years, my primary optic was a 6”f7 newt. Excellent optics but also at f7, very forgiving of eyepiece design. Same with my ED80 and 8”f9 Vixen Cassegrain. Then I bought a large f5 dob. The old Plössl and Erfle collection just didn’t cut it anymore and I have invested in a small collection of better eyepieces. Not surprising they also give better views through other forgiving scopes too.

The eyepieces I have settled upon are
Naglers 31 mm, 17 mm, 7mm. 82 deg AFOV
Denkmeier D20 20 mm, D14 14 mm 68 deg AFOV

I have a 5mm Baader Hyperion but I don’t like it. I compared it to a friend’s Pentax XW 5 and the difference is stark. The transmission of the Pentax is much greater than the Baader. I recently picked up a cheap Meade 4000 series UW4.7 mm. I’ll compare it to the Baader and either sell both and buy a Pentax or keep the Meade. I also have a GSO Superview 40mm which is ok but nothing special. I will keep it because I don’t use a 40 mm much having the Nagler 31.
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

TBH, I have a large collection of budget and mid-price eyepieces. Most months they are totally unused, as my cameras see more light than I do. It is when I view Mars that my visuals are better than what I can get in photographs. I get my best views with GSO eyepieces, sometimes with Barlow lenses.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Ironically, I get pretty good views with my Orion Expanse 15mm - comparable to my Vixen SLVs although the Vixens are 10mm and 6mm. I am considering rationalizing though and replacing the Orion with a VIxen 15mm. I also have a couple of SkyWatcher somethings which came with my Mak. I've never taken them out of their boxes. I suppose I should try them before selling them too.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Olen and all. Before you do anything hasty, check out Mike's more recent post from 12/17:
viewtopic.php?f=34&p=129186#p129186
I hope this helps and the best of regards.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

mikemarotta wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:26 pm
"Also, avoid any 1.25-inch 40mm Plössl. Although magnification is very low, their apparent fields of view are narrowed than 32-mm Plössls with 1.25-inch barrels. In the end, the real fields of view (or how much sky actually squeezes into view) are actually the same, but the slightly higher magnification of the 32-mm Plössl will produce better image contrast." -- page 183.
This is just one man opinion. :) 1.25-inch 40mm Plössl has it's uses in particular in slower scopes. It was my to go EP for 127mm Mak. I have not one, but two, Meade and Televue. One for each of my EP cases.

I was even considering getting 1.25" 50mm Plossl.
http://russell-optics.com/quarter_inch.html
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:01 am
mikemarotta wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:26 pm
"Also, avoid any 1.25-inch 40mm Plössl.
This is just one man opinion. :) 1.25-inch 40mm Plössl has it's uses in particular in slower scopes. It was my to go EP for 127mm Mak. I have not one, but two, Meade and Televue. One for each of my EP cases.
I have been using the 40mm for viewing the Pleiades. As for the better view with a 32, I have to confess that a lot of times, the fineries are lost on me. Filet mignon is just hamburger and lobster tail is just shrimp. Maybe the view is "better" with a 32mm, but if you can't get them all in the view, then what's the point?

I always appreciate your encouraging opinions. My problems with the 40mm were mostly a matter of our getting used to each other. Like a new knife is not really yours until you cut yourself with it.
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I have a 40 mm. It's basically used only for locating targets, but even for that, it's a bit too long.
For my telescope the minimum magnification is achieved by 28 mm.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

turboscrew wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:26 am For my telescope the minimum magnification is achieved by 28 mm.
I looked up your VX12 on the Orion UK site. It is an f/4 and 300 mm (12 inches, 11.8 actually) objective and 1200 mm focal length. For me, to achieve the same as you prefer, I would use a 15mm ocular. (I have a 17 mm, close enough). But, in fact, for that I would prefer to use the 32mm with a 2X Barlow to achieve the same magnification with a better view. I am not sure if that would be Field-of-View or "eye relief" but I like it more.
Michael E. Marotta