Mirror or Prism?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

Mirror or Prism?

Post by GCoyote »

I have one crappy right angle diagonal. Before I start looking for a new one, what exactly should I be looking for?
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Mirror or Prism?

Post by kt4hx »

Almost all of my observing is with newtonians, so I will not suggest either for you, though admittedly all of my refractors do have mirror diagonals. You may want to read the linked comparison between them, which may be helpful (or not). :)

https://www.cloudynights.com/articles/c ... ison-r2877
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Frankly, I can't tell the difference for my casual viewing. Just go with a quality dealer, don't think an E-bay special is what I would buy. Guess that it make a bigger difference on a fast light cone, but f10 or more, shouldn't matter much.

Just 2 cents,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I am not an expert on refractors, but my AR152 has a mirror in the diagonal.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Most important it should be of good quality. If you are looking for 2" I would go with mirror, if 1.25" I would go with prism for slower scope (F7 and above) and mirror for a faster scope.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Ruud
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ruud »

I prefer a mirror diagonal. With a prism you have three surfaces causing wavefront errors, with a mirror just one.

Prisms have 100% reflection internally, but there is some loss on the two glass to air surfaces. It's not much though. You have to be a bit careful cleaning them. Prisms have the slight disadvantage of causing chromatic aberration. The slower the telescope, the less CA a prism will cause.

Modern dielectric mirrors reflect 99% of the light and they are very resistant to scratches and chemicals. They are easy to clean and will last a lifetime.

I have three dielectric diagonals (William Optics) and one enhanced aluminium (Televue). When it comes to image quality, all four are equally good. Cleaning the TV requires a bit of care.

Somehow, my diagonals need more cleaning than the rest of my optics, so I'm quite happy with the dielectric ones.
7x50 Helios Apollo 8x42 Bresser Everest 73mm f/5.9 WO APO 4" f/5 TeleVue Genesis 6" f/10 Celestron 6SE 0.63x reducer 1.8, 2, 2.5 and 3x Barlows eyepieces from 4.5 to 34mm
konza
Earth Ambassador

Post by konza »

Hello GCyote, I just picked up a new diagonal. Check out re: Upgrading Baader T2.... and original post Upgrading Baader Maxbrite vs BBHS diagonal, reccomendations. Lady Fractors tip about doing a star test made the choice for me. Little tidbits like that are priceless.
Mickey K.
Scopes: ES102 apo carbonfiber, Orion 127 mac/cas
Binos: B&L Legacy 10x50, Canon 15x50 image stabilized
Mounts: ES Twilight 1 & Exos2 goto, Orion Sky View Pro (non-goto) Targus monopod w/Manfrotto ball head
Eyepieces: Orion plossl 10 & 25, ES 24 & 16 68º, Baader Morpheus 12.5, ES 8.8 & 4.7 82º and SWM 20 70º w/ crosshairs.
Filters Orion 13 & 25% moon filter, and a sky glow
Diagonal: ES dieletric, Baader T2 BBHS mirror
"Keep Looking Up" ~Jack Horkheimer~
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

From a conversation with Thomas Baader, owner of Baader Planetarium:

Q:  "Do the Baader prism diagonals with BBHS coating work well with refractors faster than f/7 or f/8? I am wondering if chromatic aberration (or spherochromatism) would be a problem as the light propagates through the glass prism."

A: "We do not recommend a prism for refracting telescopes unless the optical calculation of the objective lens calls for using a prism instead of a mirror.
For 100 years - all Carl Zeiss Refractor telescopes were designed to compensate for the added glasspath of a prism. 
And throughout our 25 years of offering this prism we repeatedly found refractor telescopes - especially of very short focal length - where the airy disc went colorless only when adding a prism into the beam of light - as was the case with the "long gone" Astro Physics Traveler.
So please check carefully with your existing mirror star diagonal if the first ring of the airy disc appears reddish when observing a bright star - or better when observing an artificial star at high magnification. if this is found to be the case then a prism will bring a noticeable improvement. 
If the first diffraction ring appears white already than a prism would not lead to an improvement but will induce a color error."
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Ruud wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:59 am I prefer a mirror diagonal. With a prism you have three surfaces causing wavefront errors, with a mirror just one.

Prisms have 100% reflection internally, but there is some loss on the two glass to air surfaces. It's not much though. You have to be a bit careful cleaning them. Prisms have the slight disadvantage of causing chromatic aberration. The slower the telescope, the less CA a prism will cause.

Modern dielectric mirrors reflect 99% of the light and they are very resistant to scratches and chemicals. They are easy to clean and will last a lifetime.

I have three dielectric diagonals (William Optics) and one enhanced aluminium (Televue). When it comes to image quality, all four are equally good. Cleaning the TV requires a bit of care.

Somehow, my diagonals need more cleaning than the rest of my optics, so I'm quite happy with the dielectric ones.
It is not that hard to polish one or two glass surfaces to specifications. This is why diagonal vendors are happy to report 1/10, 1/12 wave, etc. The problem is that this is BEFORE the reflecting layers are applied. Each layer degrades wavefront accuracy. Dielectric mirrors in particular have many layers and notoriously known for the light scatter. Before you compare good prism with dielectric side by side you won't even notice how much light scatter they add. It maybe not as critical for DSOs, but for splitting tight doubles or fine planetary and Lunar details the difference is quite obvious.

Now about chromatic aberration. Gabby and Baader are right, by law of physics they do add some. But how much? I have compared dielectric, hard silver and prism diagonals in my scopes with F ratio from F5 to F12 and BY EYE I could not see any added color with prism compared to others. In fact in F5 achro I see a bit less CA.

So, in my experience at EP I gained some resolution on doubles and planets, lost some light scatter and don't see (with my eyes) any added color with prisms. After this testing I use prisms exclusively in my APO/ED refractors, no matter what Baader says. :)

Your mileage may very, but there are quite few experienced observers (some are members here ;)) reporting success with prisms in fracs, even fast achros.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Actually the scope I'm using most is the 90mm Mak. It's just too handy to leave in the closet all week. Per the data plate, it's F13.9. So at that speed, I guess I should not see much difference with any good quality diagonal. If it works well in my small refractors too, so much the better.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
Jones
Mars Ambassador

Post by Jones »

If you like looking at the planets you must get a prism, any prism is better than any mirror, even that $35 Celestron 1.25". The best is the Baader Zeiss t2 size diagonal. If you don't look at planets then any old thing will work. My anything came from Hi Point Scientific 2" quartz mirror 1/12 wave dielectric. Little over $100.
Arizona- where the sky's are not cloudy all night.

Triple lensed fracs are so yummy when looking at planets.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Not necessarily, if the refractor does not require a prism you will be increasing the spherical and chromatic aberrations of the telescope which of course degrades the views.
For planetary I use a mix of mirrors and prisms depending on which telescope I am using.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt