Camera settings for digiscoping?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Camera settings for digiscoping?

Post by turboscrew »

I've been thinking of digiscoping Mars, but I don't have a clue about camera settings. My tube is 12" F/4 dobsonian, and I plan to use 6 mm (200x) or 3x barlowed 15 mm (240x) eyepiece.

I wonder if there are some rules of thumb for good starting values?
I'm talking about single shot pictures with no plans of stacking etc.

Maybe such starting values could be derived from the surface brightnesses of objects? Of course one has to take into account the TFOV and the object movement in the field, but I think that's not very complicated. If you know a good settings for a situation, where the tracking works fine and the object appears stationary, you can check if the shutter speed is fast enough. If it's not, you make it faster, and increase the aperture or step up with the ASA-setting, or maybe drop down the magnification.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Camera settings for digiscoping?

Post by turboscrew »

I found this: https://www.saao.ac.za/~wpk/exposure.html
Do you think the K is really the same as (L/K) here ?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_ ... conditions
And I wonder if K in the latter can be considered a gear dependent constant and L is the luminosity of the target?
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.