Criterion DynaScope 6"

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
deg13122
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Criterion DynaScope 6"

Post by deg13122 »

Greetings,
I have a 50+ year old Criterion 6" DynaScope.
It still works just fine. I rebuilt the clock drive and the clutch a couple years ago.
The sharpness of the views is better than my 10" Apertura dob! Same mirror, original coating.
Problem is - the eyepiece holder is a brass tube "about" 1-1/4" ID with no set screw .
My current eyepieces flop around in the holder and I want them sorta snug, but not so tight I can't remove and replace without knocking the scope off target.
DynaScope6.JPG
DynaScope6.JPG (24.71 KiB) Viewed 2753 times
What to do? What to do?
Dennis
:telescopewink: Three scopes - 10" Apertura Dob; 8" Orion Dob; 6" Criterion DynaScope
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Criterion DynaScope 6"

Post by helicon »

Can you replace the focuser? This is a simple way to solve the problem. Also, congrats on holding onto a classic scope for 50 years. I remember seeing the Dynascopes in Astronomy Magazine and always wished I could afford one.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
smeyer8015
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by smeyer8015 »

16031340136641389428855878293045.jpg
O have one also. A bit disassembled though.

It says Edmund Scientific on it, but it looks identical.
Last edited by smeyer8015 on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celestron Classic 8, Old Sears 60mm f/15 refractor, Old Edmund Scientific 6 inch F/8 newt, GSO 2" Diag, ES 30mm/70, ES 25mm/70, Orion 32 Super Plossl, Mead 24mm MA,
X-Cel LX 18mm, Luminos 15mm, F/6.3 reducer, Luminos 2.5x barlow, Telrad, Celestron 9x50 RACI, DIY Baader Solar Filter, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Bresser EXOS-2 Goto, Revolution Imager R1

No trees were killed in the sending of this post. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
smeyer8015
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by smeyer8015 »

16031341260124220974905955291258.jpg
Here is the focuser.
Celestron Classic 8, Old Sears 60mm f/15 refractor, Old Edmund Scientific 6 inch F/8 newt, GSO 2" Diag, ES 30mm/70, ES 25mm/70, Orion 32 Super Plossl, Mead 24mm MA,
X-Cel LX 18mm, Luminos 15mm, F/6.3 reducer, Luminos 2.5x barlow, Telrad, Celestron 9x50 RACI, DIY Baader Solar Filter, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Bresser EXOS-2 Goto, Revolution Imager R1

No trees were killed in the sending of this post. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Dennis, another idea is to look at ebay. I found an old 1 1/4" Dynascope focuser for sale for $11 (since sold) so I guess it depends if you want to replace the focuser with another Criterion one or get something new as a replacement...
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

It is clear to me that the focuser holds the eyepieces on clamping. Due to use or improper use, space has been created there. The two halves that hold the eyepiece are bent outwards.
With some care, those halves can be bent back in, so that they hold the eyepieces again. They won't break off on the first attempt to bend them in.

If you are afraid of that, you can heat them first, with a lighter for example. The following applies to everything: do it with policy.

I would try this before buying a new one.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
deg13122
Earth Ambassador

Post by deg13122 »

helicon wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:58 pm Can you replace the focuser? This is a simple way to solve the problem. Also, congrats on holding onto a classic scope for 50 years. I remember seeing the Dynascopes in Astronomy Magazine and always wished I could afford one.
Yes, I can replace the focuser, but I'm trying to keep it as "original" as possible.
Since my last post I found that there is an extension sleeve lodged inside the focuser tube!
Getting this out (been stuck for years) gives me the correct size to hold EP's.
It is a tight slip fit, so it can be pushed back and forth with very little effort -- but it's there, and it works.
Thanks for your comment.
Dennis
:telescopewink: Three scopes - 10" Apertura Dob; 8" Orion Dob; 6" Criterion DynaScope
deg13122
Earth Ambassador

Post by deg13122 »

John Baars wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:54 pm It is clear to me that the focuser holds the eyepieces on clamping. Due to use or improper use, space has been created there. The two halves that hold the eyepiece are bent outwards.
With some care, those halves can be bent back in, so that they hold the eyepieces again. They won't break off on the first attempt to bend them in.

If you are afraid of that, you can heat them first, with a lighter for example. The following applies to everything: do it with policy.

I would try this before buying a new one.
Thanks John - I got it figured out. There was/is an extension sleeve that was pushed all the way and more into the outer tube. Pulling that up and out about an inch solved my problem.
Dennis
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Dennis. I am glad that you found the extension sleeve, and solved your focusing problem. I remember back in the day when I was young, everybody wanted a Criterion RV6 (or RV8) Newtonian or a Unitron refractor. Thanks for your post Dennis, which takes many of us back down memory, and I hope that you continue to enjoy this vintage telescope.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
deg13122
Earth Ambassador

Post by deg13122 »

Makuser wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:30 pm Hi Dennis. I am glad that you found the extension sleeve, and solved your focusing problem. I remember back in the day when I was young, everybody wanted a Criterion RV6 (or RV8) Newtonian or a Unitron refractor. Thanks for your post Dennis, which takes many of us back down memory, and I hope that you continue to enjoy this vintage telescope.
Thanks.
I first saw the DynaScope ads in Boys Life when I was in scouting in the late '50's.
I wanted one so bad but my dad, who was also interested, told me that he could only afford up to $50 at that time.
I guess in today's dollars the $194 would be around $2000!
I was given this scope about 3 years ago by a fellow member of the Fort Bend Astronomy Club here in the Houston TX area.
It was a "first one who calls me gets it" deal, and I called back within 5 minutes!
I'm so glad to have the "telescope of my dreams."
Don't use it much as I have 8" and 10" dobs, but it stands at a place of honor in my man-cave.
Stay safe.
Dennis
XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

The RV-6 was, and is, a great scope. I had one for years when I first started out in Astronomy - my dad decided to pick one up at the factory in Hartford on our way back from a summer vacation on Cape Cod. I even attempted astrophotography with it using 35mm and Tri-X film. Set up my own darkroom in the lower level bathroom of my parent's house. Boy, was that fun - both the AP and the film developing :) Sold the RV-6 to a friend in the mid 80's. Not sure if he still has it.

I was going to ask if you had the thin sleeve, but I see you got it straightened out.
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

deg13122 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:53 am ... I have a 50+ year old Criterion 6" DynaScope.
It still works just fine. I rebuilt the clock drive and the clutch a couple years ago.
[...]
I first saw the DynaScope ads in Boys Life when I was in scouting in the late '50's.
I wanted one so bad but my dad, who was also interested, told me that he could only afford up to $50 at that time.
That was my limit, so I got the Criterion 4-inch reflector (mechanical mount) for $50. That was 1961. It served me well enough from ages 11 to 15. Then other interests took hold at the same time that we moved to a different neighborhood. I went many years without a telescope of my own, though I did use a couple of college observatories. My wife and daughter bought me a telescope in 2014 and I picked the Celestron 130 EQ as being closest to the Criterion 4-inch. It was not. The Criterion was much better. They don't make 'em like they used to.

(One thing, though, I will say about modern times. We have affordable instruments that would have been the envy of professionals of 50 or 100 years ago. I mean, granted, that the low-end suffers from cheapness in trade-offs for things like hardware, mount, screws, nuts, and bolts, but the optics are unbeatable for the price -- and they are computer controlled. Imagine if you could take one back in time to Maria Mitchell, Annie Jump Cannon, or Antonia Maury. The crime and the glory is that these things can sit unused in closets, attics, and basements.)
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
Jones
Mars Ambassador

Post by Jones »

I bought a Criterion mirror off ebay and the focal length is 50", is yours the same?
Arizona- where the sky's are not cloudy all night.

Triple lensed fracs are so yummy when looking at planets.
Jones
Mars Ambassador

Post by Jones »

I bought a Criterion mirror off ebay and the focal length is 50", is yours the same?
Arizona- where the sky's are not cloudy all night.

Triple lensed fracs are so yummy when looking at planets.
deg13122
Earth Ambassador

Post by deg13122 »

Jones. Sounds about right. My scope with original unrecoated mirror gives me sharper views than my more modern dobs. They made them well back then.