ccd astro cam and camera lenses

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Bill Hume
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

ccd astro cam and camera lenses

Post by Bill Hume »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone on the forum has tried fitting a ccd astrocam to an SLR camera lens?
I ask because I have a wonderful and varied selection of lenses (but no astro camera as yet, it's on order).
Is it worth my while making up an adapter as I await it 's arrival? It will normally be used as an autoguider and planetary imager but I just wondered if I could put it to further astronomical use.
Thanks in advance and while I'm here, may I say that this is a lovely and friendly forum. I have learned much but still have so much to learn.
Bill H.
OleCuss
Mars Ambassador

Re: ccd astro cam and camera lenses

Post by OleCuss »

Yes, this is an accepted practice but I don't think it is a very common thing.

ZWO actually sold (probably still sells) an adapter for Canon and Nikon lenses. You connect your ZWO camera to the adapter and the adapter to the lens and you are off and running!

You can think of camera lenses as dedicated astrophotography telescopes and some are simply superb. I think the "refractor" with the greatest light-gathering ability which is actually in use is composed of an array of Canon L-series lenses with AP cameras.
Bill Hume
Earth Ambassador

Post by Bill Hume »

Thank you OleCuss. I'll give it a try. I have a couple of Canon L lenses and a few other bits and bobs of lenses kicking about. I love my L glass and would have more, but Mrs. H and my bank manager disagree.
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Bill Hume wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:57 pm Thank you OleCuss. I'll give it a try. I have a couple of Canon L lenses and a few other bits and bobs of lenses kicking about. I love my L glass and would have more, but Mrs. H and my bank manager disagree.
As amateur astronomers, there should be a consultant we can send our SO’s and bank managers to - they need to see the light :observer:
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Yes, all the time. I have a bunch of T-mount lenses from the '60s and it is straight forward to attach a T-mount camera to them. My favorites are 250mm f4.5, 135 f2.8, 28 f2.8 lenses, which cover a variety of wide field astronomical objects. Try it, you'll like it.

Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono