I found a new mistake

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: I found a new mistake

Post by Baurice »

OzEclipse wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:25 pm When I was a teenager(1970's), we use to take photos 1 hr long on film, camera piggybacked on small scopes. The mount had a worm drive but no motor just a flexible cable and you had to sit there freezing cold looking at an out of focus star on a crosshair and slowly slowly turning the manual drive handle for an hour to keep the star in the cross hair.

One night, at -3C, my friend Peter spent one such hour meticulously guiding his scope through one such exposure. At the end of the hour he released the cable release to close the shutter. No sound? He checked the camera and found its shutter speed wasn't set to bulb but rather to 1/125s.

Joe
Yes, a common one is not to check the settings that were set at the last session. I have tried to do deep sky photos with 1/1000 second exposure and ISO 100 that I've used for lunar or solar.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

My imaging targets tend to be chosen by those that fit in my field of view but I had a go at Mars last week, so I set up, balanced and aligned using the new ASI294. Found Mars and was reminded Mars was just a dot with this camera! Changed the camera to the Altair GP Cam 290C, rebalanced, put on the bat mask and refocused. Still a bit small so I took out the camera, put on a focal reducer, put on the bat mask, refocused, scratched my head, then remembered I should have used a Barlow! Took out the camera, took off the focal reducer, put in a Barlow, put on the bat mask, refocused. Then the clouds came over!

Put everything away and went in.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

During the "Great American Solar Eclipse" in SC I left the white light solar filter on my GT102 and lost about 10 frames of the diamond ring effect - doh!
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets
bestwork1989
Earth Ambassador

Post by bestwork1989 »

Hi
There are so many things involved in imaging there is bound to be an occasional blip. you have to more search on google on it and We've all made the more common mistakes that killed a session. but don't worry, keep it up.
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Set up a sequence the other night.

Contained 5 targets. 3 of the 5 targets had at least 2 panel mosaics. Set the slew and center, set the start / end times, set the number of frames, set the output directory. Expected at least 10 hours worth of imaging.

Often if the target is a single pane I will just put 100 frames in the counter. Which works fine. IF you remember to check the boxes next to the start end times. Which I somehow overlooked.

Ended up with like 50 frames of the first target until it tried to track below the horizon then just parked!

I even went back and double checked the sequence and still over looked those check boxes.

SGP is great for sequence automation, but yea there are a lot of ways to trip up. Have gotten into the habit of double checking the sequence. Then again later before sequence start checking it all again.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro