worst light pollution ever?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Voyageur
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: worst light pollution ever?

Post by Voyageur »

It's discouraging to face such heavy light pollution. My house is directly under a streetlight and across from several security lights, and there is no view of the sky from my tiny back yard. But I can view the Moon and planets from the front of my house with a few minor light-blocking measures.

For any kind of serious observing, I must pack up and go elsewhere. Fortunately, there are decent views to be had from a park 5 minutes away and really dark skies within half an hour of my house. But that requires transportation. If you don't have a car, it is tough.

We all need to vent now and then about our circumstances, and having others commiserate about the challenges of bad light pollution can help us feel a bit better for a time, but it doesn't fix anything. Everyone here could agree that you have the worst light pollution anywhere in the world, and it wouldn't change a thing. Ordinarily, I would suggest that you contact the nearest astronomy club and possibly find a member who lives near enough to you to give you a ride now and again to club events, but in today's world, the majority of club events have been on hold.

BUT it still might benefit you to join a club, even one at a distance from you. Many clubs, including mine, are offering virtual events. You could meet some people and establish good connections. You are obviously quite keen about this hobby, and anyone you contact from a club is going to realize that, and might become a good friend and resource for you. It might open some doors you didn't know existed. All we can do here is say, "oh, that's too bad," which is not very helpful in the end.
Scopes: Vixen VMC200L, D=200mm, F=1950, f/9.75; Televue 2" Everbright diagonal. Coronado PST; AstroTech EDT 80mm, F=480, f/6.
Mounts: Vixen SXW/Starbook (original); Stellarvue M2C alt-az.
Eyepieces: Televue: 55mm Plossl, 22mm Panoptic, 17.3mm Delos, 13mm Nagler, c. 1980, 11mm Plossl, 7mm Nagler, 5mm Radian; Meade 15mm Super Plossl; VERNONSCOPE 2.4X BARLOW
Binoculars: Leica 8x32 Trinovids, circa 1997; Orion Megaview 20x80, Orion Paragon Plus mount.
okawbow
Earth Ambassador

Post by okawbow »

I have the same problem at my home in Illinois. However, I was pleasantly surprised this week when we were at our new property near Paris, Tennessee. Although only 5 miles from town, the sky's are very dark and clear. I can see the Milky Way very well and Ursa Minor is bright. Mars looked as bright as Jupiter. Only drawback is the trees block some of the sky. We are building a cabin there, and I will take a telescope next time.
realflow100 United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by realflow100 »

I cant drive or go anywhere
our car/vehicle doesnt work
and taking public transportation more than a mile is very expensive. and not worth it.
plus we live in very dangerous neighborhood so I can't walk anywhere at night.
the crime is so high right now they have initiated curfews at night that you must be in-doors after dark.

there has been many times when police cars have come parked in the parkinglot outside in our apartment complex area and have arrested someone. or hearing gunshots every couple of nights.

we plan on moving out in a few months to a few years. no specific time. but we cant go anywhere or do anything right now.
Svbony SV503 70mm ED F6 420mm FL refractor telescope (New)
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-F6.3 II VC lens
canon 50mm STM F1.8
svbony 8-24mm zoom eyepiece
svbony goldline 66 degree 9mm and 6mm + 40mm plossl + 2x barlow.
svbony UHC 1.25 filter + astromania 1.25" O-3 filter + also an svbony H-B filter.
Voyageur
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Voyageur »

You have posted before that travel is difficult for you, which is why, in my earlier post, I did not recommend going to a dark sky site, as others have done who didn't know your circumstances.

It sounds like the curfew is a response to both the pandemic itself and even higher crime rates resulting from the circumstances surrounding the pandemic. A vicious cycle indeed. So you are stuck there. The curfew makes it impossible to even go out at night with friend who can drive.

As long as the curfew is in effect, you can't do much about getting to some dark skies. Certainly no one here can get you out of there. As I said before, all we can do is say, "oh, that's too bad." That level of "support" helps a tiny bit for about 10 seconds. But if that's all that happens, back you go into the rut. It's not good.

There is one thing you can do, and I said it before. Go online and look up some astronomy clubs, and contact them. You are not traveling anyway, so it doesn't matter where the club is. You could join one in another state. Some clubs are more inclusive than others. Some may cater to wealthy members with expensive gear, and they won't be interested in you. Too bad for them. Other clubs have strong public outreach programs. My club is the Grand Traverse Astronomical Society, and you would be welcome. The club is offering online talks and virtual star parties during quarantine. There is a possible virtual star party next weekend, depending on weather. Check it out http://gtastro.org/

If you reach out and make a connection with someone, you can't know what may happen once the pandemic is over and we can travel and meet freely again. You are an articulate person with knowledge and skill in this hobby. One thing is for sure: if you just keep mulling over the dire circumstances, nothing will change.

This time is tough for everyone. I miss my club outreach events, but I could take some of my own advice and be more involved online. We could all benefit from more creative problem-solving. It is a struggle at times. You are young and have so much potential, and I wish you could take one step in a new direction. I hope you don't take any offense at what I'm saying. I'm old enough to be your grandmother and have learned a thing or two in life, so please accept my advice in the spirit in which it is offered. Good luck to you.
Scopes: Vixen VMC200L, D=200mm, F=1950, f/9.75; Televue 2" Everbright diagonal. Coronado PST; AstroTech EDT 80mm, F=480, f/6.
Mounts: Vixen SXW/Starbook (original); Stellarvue M2C alt-az.
Eyepieces: Televue: 55mm Plossl, 22mm Panoptic, 17.3mm Delos, 13mm Nagler, c. 1980, 11mm Plossl, 7mm Nagler, 5mm Radian; Meade 15mm Super Plossl; VERNONSCOPE 2.4X BARLOW
Binoculars: Leica 8x32 Trinovids, circa 1997; Orion Megaview 20x80, Orion Paragon Plus mount.
AbbN
In Memory
In Memory

Post by AbbN »

I live near downtown Windsor Canada which is right across the river from the very bright downtown Detroit Mi. My naked eye sky is quite barren. Even the Big Dipper and Orion's Belt are barely visible and I've never seen Andromeda! What works for me are binoculars as they open up the sky for me. I use them to scout the sky EVERY SESSION and find my intended targets and aim my scopes their way. Fortunately, with a lot of both patience and a lot of swearing initially :D, in the 10+ years that I've been at this, I've gotten pretty good at it. And so far, I haven't had a need or desire to get a goto set up :)

Have fun!
Abb
TELESCOPES: Celestron Omni XLT 120, Explore Scientific AR102, Orion ST80 Refractors; 8" Skywatcher Dob; Orion Apex 102 Mak; Coronado PST. LENSES: ES 4.7, 6.7, 11, 18 and 30mm 82° EPs; Baader 24mm 68°; Luminos 15mm 82°; Meade 8-24mm Zoom. OTHER: CG4+16" Orion Pier Extension; Celestron Skymaster 20x80 binos etc;
Bortle 8 :(
realflow100 United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by realflow100 »

even with my goto star tracker I'm limited to very bright targets such as andromeda. orion nebula. plaiedes cluster. (Not pleiades nebula. its much too faint)

Anything fainter than those targets is pretty much non-existent at any magnification I can throw at my 4" F4 reflector telescope.
Svbony SV503 70mm ED F6 420mm FL refractor telescope (New)
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-F6.3 II VC lens
canon 50mm STM F1.8
svbony 8-24mm zoom eyepiece
svbony goldline 66 degree 9mm and 6mm + 40mm plossl + 2x barlow.
svbony UHC 1.25 filter + astromania 1.25" O-3 filter + also an svbony H-B filter.