Shaking Image

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Pattyd123
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Shaking Image

Post by Pattyd123 »

I am quite new. Last night I discovered the skies relatively clear (which hasn't happened much lately), so I grabbed my telescope and went out to the deck. There are lots of trees, so my viewing time/space is limited. It was still a bit light, but Jupiter was there and Saturn popped out a few minutes later. But, the viewing wasn't so great. The images were shaking a bit. No it wasn't me, or the mount. I've heard that atmosphere cooling can affect what/how you see. Is this what was happening? I'd say the scope was outside about 10-15 minutes before viewing, with about 10 degrees difference from inside temp and outside. Thought that would be enough.

Also, couldn't get a real sharp image. The first time I looked at Saturn on 9/25, I could see rings distinctly. Last night, using the same lenses, I could tell they were there, but it lacked the 'awesome' from last time.

Thoughts, anyone? Thanks in advance!
Patty
A Newbie, NW of Chicago, IL, USA
Telescope: Celestron 130EQ
:Astronomer1:
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Re: Shaking Image

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Hello Patty, we would need to know what equipment you are using to give a really informed answer.
It was most likely heat waves rising if you are in a city/ suburban area though depending on the type of telescope you may need much more cooldown time for the telescope to acclimate.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

went out to the deck
There is your culprit right there. Scopes need to be on solid ground. Even just walking on the deck will introduce vibrations.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

You were lucky the first time!
What you saw last night was a typical example of what we call "bad seeing" Every telescope suffers from it. One type somewhat more than the other. Maksutovs and Schmidt Cassegrains the most, Newtons in between and Refractors the least. In the description below I assume that the telescope, mount and focusser were set up vibration-free.

In general there are two types of seeing.
1. The one inside the telescope as a result of the cooling down process. Once the telescope is cooled down you'll notice that the image is less turbulent than at the moment you started observing.
2. The one at the outside as a result of turbulent air in the atmosphere. That is the one you or your telescope can do nothing about.
In bad seeing bright stars do not remain neat dots, but are smeared in moving and sparkling blobs of light. You have already experienced what bad seeing looks like on Saturn.

To give you an impression from bad to good!
http://www.damianpeach.com/pickering.htm

Some amateurs use the scale of Antoniadi, in which 1 is good and 5 is bad. A bit confusing I'm afraid, both scales are used.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Pattyd123
Earth Ambassador

Post by Pattyd123 »

Thank you, all, for your input. John, it all makes sense. Maybe I was lucky with my first view of Jupiter and Saturn, but I won't ever forget it. I waited weeks for a clear sky (we had lots of haze/smoke from the western fires) and finally, the first night you could call clear, I was ready and out there.

I doubt it was the deck because I was in the same spot weeks before. And, I'm the only one on the deck; no one else moving.

I did add my equipment to a signature, but apparently it didn't come up. I am NW of Chicago in the outer suburbs - still suburbs and light pollution. I used a Celestron 130EQ, 15mm lens and a 2x Barlow. This was all that I'd used the first time. Worked well the first time. :-) Still working my way through what lens to use. I do know the calculations.
Patty
A Newbie, NW of Chicago, IL, USA
Telescope: Celestron 130EQ
:Astronomer1:
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I'd suspect air turbulence first, but I observe from my deck and I can get a bouncy image just by tapping my foot hard. Maybe that means my deck is about to collapse? :think: :) (I'd rather have a patio anyway!)
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

pakarinen wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:26 pm I'd suspect air turbulence first, but I observe from my deck and I can get a bouncy image just by tapping my foot hard. Maybe that means my deck is about to collapse? :think: :) (I'd rather have a patio anyway!)
I doubt your deck will collapse, it is just the nature of any wooden structure, it will flex.
There is no way around it :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
AbbN
In Memory
In Memory

Post by AbbN »

Since you live in the Chicago area, this may be of interest to you:
https://astronomer.proboards.com/

Abb
TELESCOPES: Celestron Omni XLT 120, Explore Scientific AR102, Orion ST80 Refractors; 8" Skywatcher Dob; Orion Apex 102 Mak; Coronado PST. LENSES: ES 4.7, 6.7, 11, 18 and 30mm 82° EPs; Baader 24mm 68°; Luminos 15mm 82°; Meade 8-24mm Zoom. OTHER: CG4+16" Orion Pier Extension; Celestron Skymaster 20x80 binos etc;
Bortle 8 :(
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

I am from England but spent some time in Naperville while teaching a class. I took a few shots while I was there.

If your images dance, it is mostly air turbulence. The only "cure" is to try lower magnification. When viewing planets and the Moon, I start with low magnification then work my way up.
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Okay... Don't laugh. This is real.:)

Sometimes when trying to find a dim DSO visually, gently tapping the eyepiece to induce a slight shake will reveal the object. It's because the human eye catches minor movement better on the edge of the view. When we're using averted vision that little shake works out well.

I know that's not the issue, but I just wanted to point out that a little shake can be beneficial in the right place.:)

Clear Skies & Stay Safe
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C