Barn door errors?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Barn door errors?

Post by maceemiller »

OzEclipse wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:34 am
maceemiller wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:25 am Looking further in to my tracker design and its random errors,
I think I've come up with a potential problem that I overlooked.

The design I built was taken off the Internet, measurements and all.
I've been looking at this calculator and its sort of hit me in the face!

https://blarg.co.uk/astronomy/barn-door ... calculator

By not having the bolt and hinge at the right distance, could this explain why some exposures work and many do not?

Carl
It is more likely to be that the curved bolt is not perfectly circular so that the radius changes from correct to incorrect on different parts of the bolt.

Joe
Quite possibly! Also the flimsy tripod its on May not help.
I've a solid tripod now, the type used on building sites to set out levels for houses so will use that and build a new tracker.

Thankyou
Arsene37
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Arsene37 »

Hi !
OzEclipse wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:49 am Hi Arsene,
Thank you for picking this error up. I had not used the spread sheet for some years. Last time I used it, I was playing around with a "construction error factor" into the spreadsheet to investigate the effect of imperfect build dimensions on accumulation error. I have changed the ratio to the ideal of 2.186.
Apologies
Joe
Many thanks for the reply ! No need of apologies, I was looking for concrete numbers to put in the equations. When I am ready, I may post the results if anyone is interested !
Clear skies !
Arsène
Petzval quadruplet 152/760 on iOptron CEM25P — XX12 Orion Skyquest — 5.5" Celestron Comet Catcher (40 years old) — Perl-Vixen 130 mm/720 mm EQ — 8 mmm, 17mm and 31 mm aspheric Hyperion — BST Explorer ED 5 mm — Baader MPCC II — Leica EP 20x-60x — 2x Barlow — TS Optics Binoculars 20x80 Triplet.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

[mention]Arsene37[/mention]

The bisymmetric modification I devised is produced by placing a spacer between the baseboard and the hinges so that the boards can travel between a positive and a negative angle. As long as the displacement angle remains between -30 and +30 degrees, the fantastic accuracy remains valid. I originally devised this so that I could build it as a tangent arm drive for the polar axis of an equatorial telescope. But the construction became very complex and I never proceeded. I have always been tempted to build a bisymmetric barndoor just to prove the principle.

If you live in the northern hemisphere, consider building it with the hinge to the left so that the boards open as time progresses. Otherwise, the boards can bind up when they reach the end of travel and you need to include a microswitch to cut the power as the boards close up.
type 4 bisymmetric error copy.jpg
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

You can also use a straight screw and get perfect tracking if you use an Arduino to drive, and compensate for the trigonometric deviations digitally by programming compensation for it. The one caveat is that you need to start at a fixed position, and perhaps the travel time is more limited. Otherwise such barndoor are the simplest to build. I built two of those. The small motor was on the top board driving a screw in a T nut. It can't get any simpler, mechanically, I think.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by maceemiller »

Think I've found the problem.....

I've built a new tracker which im very happy with and used the same cogs from from my old one.
One thing I failed to notice before is when I drilled through the large cog to insert a nut I was slightly off centre....

After watching the cogs turn I see that the large cog moves towards the small cog on every rotation, causing the small drive gear to become under slight pressure and you can hear the motors sound change.....like its trying to work harder.

This actually seems like the culprit for my problem
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

maceemiller wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:18 am Think I've found the problem.....

I've built a new tracker which im very happy with and used the same cogs from from my old one.
One thing I failed to notice before is when I drilled through the large cog to insert a nut I was slightly off centre....

After watching the cogs turn I see that the large cog moves towards the small cog on every rotation, causing the small drive gear to become under slight pressure and you can hear the motors sound change.....like its trying to work harder.

This actually seems like the culprit for my problem
Mechanical problems can be avoided by keeping the design simple. With control by an Arduino we can compensate for the geometric imperfection and avoid the need for bent rods, double sliders etcetera.

There are very light weight stepper motors with built in gears, so all you need to get perfect tracking is the motor, a screw and a T nut. I attached the motor to a piece of threaded rod with an epoxy putty blob - simply press it in there. Here's the idea, it worked well for me. Some day I may build one with a longer arm more a la Astrotrac, that's a pretty cool barndoor design.
IMG_0727.JPG
IMG_0724.JPG
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by maceemiller »

[mention]SkyHiker[/mention]

I love the simple build....perfect, yet the Ardingly side of it scares and confuses me.....
maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by maceemiller »

Hi all.

Well, my "upgraded" barn door is no better than my original.
I've tried and tried and unfortunately I'm so frustrated that I'm going to call it a day.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I hear you and completely understand.

This same frustration led me in a different direction documented by this post.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3129

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ARock »

[mention]maceemiller[/mention] If I recall correctly, you have an EQ2 mount. I don't remember if you have a RA drive with it. Have you tried just mounting the camera and lens on the EQ2 mount (without the scope) with the RA drive? With a short focal length lens, thats a simpler option to try.
AR
Scopes: Zhumell Z8, Meade Adventure 80mm, Bushnell 1300x100 Goto Mak.
Mount: ES EXOS Nano EQ Mount, DIY Arduino+Stepper drives.
AP: 50mm guidescope, AR0130 based guidecam, Canon T3i, UHC filter.
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.
maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by maceemiller »

ARock wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:51 pm @maceemiller If I recall correctly, you have an EQ2 mount. I don't remember if you have a RA drive with it. Have you tried just mounting the camera and lens on the EQ2 mount (without the scope) with the RA drive? With a short focal length lens, thats a simpler option to try.
Hi.

It is an EQ2 mount and I havnt a drive anymore. I have the tracker mounted above the ALT knob.
I don't use my telescope, just my DSLR.

One thing I noticed from last nights attempt was there wasn't so much star trailing but what I can only describe as morse code type stars.....a star, then the same star millimetres to the left connected by a thin line....

I'm guessing this is vibration somewhere? Its not me moving as I'm sat and APT controls my camera shots.

Could be the bent rod, or the gears....I have no idea atm and seriously thinking of not bothering anymore.

I may try a straight rod tracker
maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by maceemiller »

JayTee wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:48 pm I hear you and completely understand.

This same frustration led me in a different direction documented by this post.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3129

Cheers,
JT
Hi.

Just had a quick scan of your topic and looks very interesting.

In the post above ive tried to explain what images im seeing and possible problems
ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ARock »

What lens are you using with the DSLR?

A $40 Celestron RA drive should get you about 1 min shots with a 55mm lens. If you have a DC motor with a speed controller you could use that too instead.

And if you want to get into Stepper/Arduino projects, the simplest one would be a stepper connected to the RA drive of the EQ mount. The Arduino code is about 10-20 lines and you can probably find it online and change 1 number (the speed the motor should run for your mount) in it. You do need a multimeter to set the driver voltage.

The camera on the EQ mount will be quite stable if you can get the electronics working.
AR
Scopes: Zhumell Z8, Meade Adventure 80mm, Bushnell 1300x100 Goto Mak.
Mount: ES EXOS Nano EQ Mount, DIY Arduino+Stepper drives.
AP: 50mm guidescope, AR0130 based guidecam, Canon T3i, UHC filter.
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.
maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by maceemiller »

ARock wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:54 pm What lens are you using with the DSLR?

A $40 Celestron RA drive should get you about 1 min shots with a 55mm lens. If you have a DC motor with a speed controller you could use that too instead.

And if you want to get into Stepper/Arduino projects, the simplest one would be a stepper connected to the RA drive of the EQ mount. The Arduino code is about 10-20 lines and you can probably find it online and change 1 number (the speed the motor should run for your mount) in it. You do need a multimeter to set the driver voltage.

The camera on the EQ mount will be quite stable if you can get the electronics working.
I've a 80-200mm canon lens. I have a 3rpm motor with a 20 cog gear on it driving a 60 cog gear on the rod.
Just been out to try again and still no good.

I'm that deflated I will stop trying as its gone from bad to worse.
maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by maceemiller »

Hi all.

Please excuse my "im giving up" last reply......its pathetic.
I was very frustrated at the time but now, couple of days after I'm back on track :)

I'm going to build a single straight rod tracker.
I understand that tangent error is a problem and I've seen the cam or whatever its called that you make to let the nut slide over to keep the rate the same yet has anyone got solid advice on how to calculate this?

I'll be using an M6 threaded rod.

Thankyou in advance and again, my apologies for my last post.

Carl
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

i'm always watching this thread, a barndoor and a dob platform tracker for me has alway been on the mind well before i got a eq mount ,maybe sometime in the future i will make a project :)
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Rob,

[mention]SkyHiker[/mention] (Henk) has already done this. You should probably pm him.

JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by maceemiller »

Hi all

So, heres something else I've found out which may be helpful to anyone else trying to build a barn door.

I bought a cheap 3RPM synchronous motor online so I thought id put a 20 toothed gear on that and the nut on a 60 toothed gear (60÷20=3......3÷3=1), bringing the speed down to 1RPM.....perfect!

......except.....

I'm currently building a straight rod tracker so I thought id look at the motor properly and what I found is its more like 3.75RPM!

I had a broken Celestron motor that I took the circuit board out of and using that I now have the speed as near to 1RPM as I can get using the potentiometer. Its still pretty much cog perfect (I put a tiny bit of paint on one of the gears teeth and marked the bottom board with a line so I have visual markers) at 4 minutes.

Just be aware then that while a motor may state a certain RPM, definitely test it!!