Barlowed laser collimation by Nils Olof Carlin?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Barlowed laser collimation by Nils Olof Carlin?

Post by turboscrew »

Can anyone bend the barlowed laser collimation method to me of iron wire?
I don't really seem to know where to put the paper target and where to look at it.
I'd probably go wrong, if I started guessing, because so many others, with far better knowledge of optics, have got it wrong (I've read).

I'd like to do that, because every piece in the image train can be off for all I know.
I understand that with this method I could at least get the main mirror right regardless of how off everything else is (as long as I can see through the system). Then I could collimate the rest based on the idea that the main mirror is pretty close to right.

I have a laser collimator, but I don't think it is well collimated. I think it has 3 LEDs, because when I point it to a wall, I see a round dot with 3 "ears" (LEDs?). Then again, what do I know with my very short and limited experience...
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: Barlowed laser collimation by Nils Olof Carlin?

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Could you please post a link to the method in question?
Nils Olof Carlin had extensive knowledge of optics and collimation techniques so need to read the process first.

Unfortunate that he passed a while ago, he was a bright light in our hobby.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:26 pm Could you please post a link to the method in question?
Nils Olof Carlin had extensive knowledge of optics and collimation techniques so need to read the process first.

Unfortunate that he passed a while ago, he was a bright light in our hobby.
Here: http://w1.411.telia.com/~u41105032/koll ... arlowlaser

And here are his pages: http://w1.411.telia.com/~u41105032/
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The end of the laser collimator is a hollow tube and you can either place the target inside the tube or make it the same outside diameter and use thin tape to hold it in place on the end.
There is usually enough tolerance for this to fit inside the focuser tube.
The hardest part is getting a clear hole in the paper, you do not want a oval as it will change the shape of the returning beam making it harder to center.

Thank you for posting this link, I used it years ago to make different focal length combination tubes and I could not remember after all these years where I had found the information :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Piet Le Roux South Africa
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

I have a 2" Kendrick laser collimator that was supplied with a Barlow attachment, but I never got this to work and could not see the advantage of the Barlow. I removed the Barlow lens, placed a white sticker around the laser hole, on the inside of the laser hole I blackened it with mat-black paint.
laser 008.JPG
I have a 15" Obsession that has to be collimated after every assembly by myself, with this setup it takes only a fey seconds: I adjust the secondary to place the beam on the centre of the primary, then I lie on my back and adjust the primary's knobs till the laser beam is reflected back into the hole of the collimator, while looking up at the face of the collimator, this is now very easy because the reflected light is bright outside the hole and very dim when it shines inside the hole. So its a case of adjusing all three knobs for minimum refection. The centre of my primary has a 'X" engraved on it and when my collimation is perfect the "x" is superimposed over the hole of the collimator.

PS I collimated my laser by placing it on a "V" shape piece of metal, clamped in a vise, and rotating it while shining the beam on a paper about 5 meters away and adjusting its four adjustment screws till the beam stays on a dot while I rotate the collimator.
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Nice. I've messed it again... I have this... https://www.meade.com/1-25-laser-collim ... apter.html
- Juha

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

What makes the method insensitive to other collimation errors except primary mirror?
- Juha

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

turboscrew wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:37 am What makes the method insensitive to other collimation errors except primary mirror?
You've been talking to computers for too long! :) Your questions are often not easy to understand. Can you explain what your question means?

I presume you mean, why must this be done to collimate the primary. Well if you can center the laser beam on the doughnut before collimating the primary, there is no reason. Assuming that is the case, ignore the Barlowed laser idea.

Piet has it exactly right, see if you can do the same and you're good.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:57 pm
turboscrew wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:37 am What makes the method insensitive to other collimation errors except primary mirror?
You've been talking to computers for too long! :) Your questions are often not easy to understand. Can you explain what your question means?

I presume you mean, why must this be done to collimate the primary. Well if you can center the laser beam on the doughnut before collimating the primary, there is no reason. Assuming that is the case, ignore the Barlowed laser idea.

This method is supposed to be insensitive to bad collimation of other components except the main mirror. It shouldn't make much difference if the secondary mirror is somewhat off. To my understanding, that's what makes this method special.
"The new method is preferable in several ways to the standard one in which the laser collimator is used alone. The most striking improvement is that the new method is insensitive to collimation errors of the other elements in the optical path, namely the secondary and the focuser. These should have been collimated before the tilt of the primary is adjusted, of course, but decoupling the primary from the other elements vastly simplifies the final part of the work, namely, adjusting the primary mirror." https://flylib.com/books/en/3.311.1.57/1/
- Juha

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I'm confused by sentences like this: "You need to put a target over the lens end of the Barlow". Which end is "lens end"?
Or "make it a tight fit to the lens cell". What is "lens cell"?
And do you need to look from in the telescope into the focuser tube? I kind of guess you do. I don't believe that the doughnut image is visible through the cardboard target.
- Juha

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

turboscrew wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:16 pm
SkyHiker wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:57 pm

This method is supposed to be insensitive to bad collimation of other components except the main mirror. It shouldn't make much difference if the secondary mirror is somewhat off. To my understanding, that's what makes this method special.
"The new method is preferable in several ways to the standard one in which the laser collimator is used alone. The most striking improvement is that the new method is insensitive to collimation errors of the other elements in the optical path, namely the secondary and the focuser. These should have been collimated before the tilt of the primary is adjusted, of course, but decoupling the primary from the other elements vastly simplifies the final part of the work, namely, adjusting the primary mirror." https://flylib.com/books/en/3.311.1.57/1/
The "other components" in your case are irrelevant except the secondary. It's all about the optical path hitting the center of the primary exactly perpendicularly. So if you get the secondary to reflect the beam right into the donut there is no error to be doubled by the reflection, which is what the Barlowed laser idea aims to accomplish.

If you are so worried about these details just get a Howie Glatter with tublug, it is the best system that I know to prevent collimation errors. Using a cheap laser collimator will work if you do it diligently (collimate the laser, rotate the laser in the focuser to check the effect of slop, inaccurate dot shape). It has the Barlowed laser built in and is a joy to use.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

The point is: I bought the scope second hand. I have no idea whether anything is in the right place. Something might be just compensated: two wrongs make one right. The barlow (2x) actually spreads the laser dot into a disc about 2 inch in diameter on the primary mirror.
- Juha

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

turboscrew wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:26 pm The point is: I bought the scope second hand. I have no idea whether anything is in the right place. Something might be just compensated: two wrongs make one right. The barlow (2x) actually spreads the laser dot into a disc about 2 inch in diameter on the primary mirror.
Is this a question? I am trying to help, so does anyone else, and your incoherent sentences are not helpful.

If the Barlow causes a 2" disc on the primary you won't have enough reflection to be of any use.

If you want the primary to be accurate just get a collimation cap! They are cheap. You can use your laser for the secondary.

Again if you can get the secondary to reflect the laser beam in the donut you will need no Barlowed laser.

Have you actually tried the collimation or is this just about theory?
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Well, first about the laser and the beam (Nils Olof Carlin's own words): "Put your laser collimator into a Barlow lens, and aim it at a wall, at a distance about the focal length of your mirror. You will see a much larger spot, perhaps not quite round, but if it is large enough to cover the main mirror spot, you are ready to go on ( if it is too small, try a shorter Barlow!)."

Also, when I was, obviously, trying it wrong, I saw that the reflection from the disc back to the focuser was well visible through a paper. I think the reflection is strong enough.

And like I said, I'd like to make sure that the thing is properly collimated. The primary, the secondary and even the focuser may be wrong - just such that the error of the secondary mirror compensates the errors of the focuser and primary mirror. (That was what I meant with "two wrongs make one right".) And even if the laser beam gets back from the primary mirror into the hole in the collimator, the errors may pop out in some other respect, like non-symmetrical field curvature or coma. The previous owner had an electronic focuser, so the current focuser has been at least removed and put back. It may not be properly aligned.

Still, back to the track: I wasn't asking about collimation in general, but specifically about the barlowed laser method, to get at least one of the components right. The others can then be collimated based on the knowledge that possible collimation errors are not due to the primary mirror.
- Juha

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

turboscrew wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:37 pm Well, first about the laser and the beam (Nils Olof Carlin's own words): "Put your laser collimator into a Barlow lens, and aim it at a wall, at a distance about the focal length of your mirror. You will see a much larger spot, perhaps not quite round, but if it is large enough to cover the main mirror spot, you are ready to go on ( if it is too small, try a shorter Barlow!)."

Also, when I was, obviously, trying it wrong, I saw that the reflection from the disc back to the focuser was well visible through a paper. I think the reflection is strong enough.
Good, nice that you got it working.
turboscrew wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:37 pm And even if the laser beam gets back from the primary mirror into the hole in the collimator, the errors may pop out in some other respect, like non-symmetrical field curvature or coma.
Coma is irrelevant for collimation because collimation plays only on the optical axis where there is no coma. If you collimate using a laser in the standard way your scope is collimated, period, it will not somehow introduce coma elsewhere. What you suggest just does not happen.
turboscrew wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:37 pm Still, back to the track: I wasn't asking about collimation in general, but specifically about the barlowed laser method, to get at least one of the components right. The others can then be collimated based on the knowledge that possible collimation errors are not due to the primary mirror.
Do not make the mistake of collimating the primary first then the secondary. The collimation of the primary depends on that of the secondary. So if you collimate the primary first, then the secondary, you must redo the primary. There is no point in collimating the primary first. The collimation of the secondary does not depend on that of the primary.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

SkyHiker wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:57 am
turboscrew wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:37 pm Well, first about the laser and the beam (Nils Olof Carlin's own words): "Put your laser collimator into a Barlow lens, and aim it at a wall, at a distance about the focal length of your mirror. You will see a much larger spot, perhaps not quite round, but if it is large enough to cover the main mirror spot, you are ready to go on ( if it is too small, try a shorter Barlow!)."

turboscrew wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:37 pm And even if the laser beam gets back from the primary mirror into the hole in the collimator, the errors may pop out in some other respect, like non-symmetrical field curvature or coma.
Coma is irrelevant for collimation because collimation plays only on the optical axis where there is no coma. If you collimate using a laser in the standard way your scope is collimated, period, it will not somehow introduce coma elsewhere. What you suggest just does not happen.
What I meant was that if the collimation is off, the coma may be asymmetrical. I think coma corrector can't handle that.
turboscrew wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:37 pm Still, back to the track: I wasn't asking about collimation in general, but specifically about the barlowed laser method, to get at least one of the components right. The others can then be collimated based on the knowledge that possible collimation errors are not due to the primary mirror.
Do not make the mistake of collimating the primary first then the secondary. The collimation of the primary depends on that of the secondary. So if you collimate the primary first, then the secondary, you must redo the primary. There is no point in collimating the primary first. The collimation of the secondary does not depend on that of the primary.
I understand that that's the beauty of the barlowed laser. It's not dependent on the collimation of secondary mirror or focuser.
And I think it's worth the while to be a bit more picky now. I checked the spider, and it's obviously turned 90 degrees. I also think that in my scope the offset is 2 mm, because the left side vanes were 2 mm shorter than the right side vanes. :lol:
I think the shorter vanes belong to back and the longer in front. It looks like the vanes were not meant to be adjustable, so I need to rotate the spider. But the laser in focuser hits the primary within the doughnut... :lol:
I think it's hard to collimate the traditional way when you can't trust _anything_.
Next I probably need to figure out how to measure the height of the secondary. Then how to figure out how to check the focuser direction.
- Juha

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

turboscrew wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:21 pm
SkyHiker wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:57 am

What I meant was that if the collimation is off, the coma may be asymmetrical. I think coma corrector can't handle that.
I understand that that's the beauty of the barlowed laser. It's not dependent on the collimation of secondary mirror or focuser.
Yes it is. If you change the secondary you change the optical axis to the primary. This is not vice versa.
turboscrew wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:21 pm And I think it's worth the while to be a bit more picky now. I checked the spider, and it's obviously turned 90 degrees. I also think that in my scope the offset is 2 mm, because the left side vanes were 2 mm shorter than the right side vanes. :lol:
I think the shorter vanes belong to back and the longer in front. It looks like the vanes were not meant to be adjustable, so I need to rotate the spider. But the laser in focuser hits the primary within the doughnut... :lol:
I think it's hard to collimate the traditional way when you can't trust _anything_.
Next I probably need to figure out how to measure the height of the secondary. Then how to figure out how to check the focuser direction.
Read Don Pensack's article on collimation. I am done.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

So Nils Olof Carlin lied?
- Juha

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

turboscrew wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:52 pm So Nils Olof Carlin lied?
No. His Barlowed method would also need a correction when collimating the primary before the secondary. Changing the secondary causes a change, albeit a small one, in the Barlowed reflection.

Here's a link to Gary Seronik's collimation method. He is a bit of an odd duck in that he starts with the primary, then the secondary, then corrects the primary for changes in the secondary. The latter are small changes and may be negligible in many cases. He just uses a collimation cap.

https://garyseronik.com/a-beginners-gui ... llimation/
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Perhaps starting out you may want to learn the collimation cap and cheshire methods before trying using a barlowed collimator.

Squaring the secondary under the focuser first is essential to aligning the primary, the method linked by Henk is a good one as well but adds a step that may not be required.

What makes the method insensitive to other collimation errors except primary mirror?
When Nils Olof Carlin mentions this he means using a Cheshire not the laser.
Reading some of your questions/ comments it seems you are possibly reading to far down the page and combining Schmidt and spherical mirrors.