Daylight tryout - funny phenomena?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Daylight tryout - funny phenomena?

Post by turboscrew »

To get to know my tube better, I did some practice in bright daylight. I noticed two phenomena.
The bigger magnification, the thicker "milky fog". Where does that come from? With 300x it was very hard to focus.
The other was when I attached my Canon PowerShot A590 to it (Yes, I did get a projection adapter. Shame on me.) Very blurry image (and the camera did play games with me when I tried to adjust - low batteries, maybe). I guess the bad image was due to bright daylight. I think that was because the day light was too bright, and if I adjusted the aperture, I got secondary mirror shadow.
What causes the first phenomenon (milky fog), and am I right about the second (secondary mirror shadow)?
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Daylight tryout - funny phenomena?

Post by SkyHiker »

The magnification limit by Dawes' criterion limits the magnification to roughly the objective diameter, or better half of it, in mm, which 300x for your 12" mirror. Your secondary will give a further contrast limitation though, and a diameter of anything above 8" will suffer disproportionally from turbulence. So really from a resolution perspective your scope is really 8" or 200x, with further deteriorating factors (more turbulence in the daytime probably).

The shadow is caused by your daytime pupil being smaller so the light hole caused by the secondary can cover your entire pupil. At night this is effect is also present except the pupil is much larger so it does not get noticed. See Al Nagler's article in S&T, https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-e ... ce-primer/

I just went to Nagler's articles at TeleView and they are very worth while reading: http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=154

He also has an article that calls the magnification rule that I just used a myth, check it out: http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page ... vice&id=86
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

What SkyHiker said.:)
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

SkyHiker wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:25 pm The magnification limit by Dawes' criterion limits the magnification to roughly the objective diameter, or better half of it, in mm, which 300x for your 12" mirror. Your secondary will give a further contrast limitation though, and a diameter of anything above 8" will suffer disproportionally from turbulence. So really from a resolution perspective your scope is really 8" or 200x, with further deteriorating factors (more turbulence in the daytime probably).

The shadow is caused by your daytime pupil being smaller so the light hole caused by the secondary can cover your entire pupil. At night this is effect is also present except the pupil is much larger so it does not get noticed. See Al Nagler's article in S&T, https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-e ... ce-primer/

I just went to Nagler's articles at TeleView and they are very worth while reading: http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=154

He also has an article that calls the magnification rule that I just used a myth, check it out: http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page ... vice&id=86
I'm still wondering about the "milky haze". And the latter was not about eye, but a camera, but I assumed the effect of reduced aperture is similar.
BTW, I apperciate your feedback, SkyHiker,: a tech guy to another. I guess I understand what you say.
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

About the Milky haze.
( given a perfect mirror, without aberrations like a.o spherical abberation)
Three things at work here:
1- The higher the magnification, the lower the contrast. As magnification goes up by say 2X, the image will become 4X dimmer. At a certain level details will dive under the threshold of the human eye is capable of. Details will be blurred.
2- As the magnification goes over the resolution limit of the telescope, a black line will not be imaged as a black line, but is grayed.
3- The better the optics are polished, the less light scattering occurs. ( I.e. less micro-surface-ripples) That is why handpolished Zambuto mirrors have that high quality. Machine-polished mirrors work OK at lower- midrange magnifications. At highest magnifications ( 2XD - 3XD) it becomes more and more obvious as a mist/ haze hanging around the highly magnified star. The better the optics, the less the haze.

Nr 1 is due to the human eye. Nr 2 is an optics-rule, nr 3 is due to polishing quality.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

John Baars wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:08 am About the Milky haze.
( given a perfect mirror, without aberrations like a.o spherical abberation)
Three things at work here:
1- The higher the magnification, the lower the contrast. As magnification goes up by say 2X, the image will become 4X dimmer. At a certain level details will dive under the threshold of the human eye is capable of. Details will be blurred.
2- As the magnification goes over the resolution limit of the telescope, a black line will not be imaged as a black line, but is grayed.
3- The better the optics are polished, the less light scattering occurs. ( I.e. less micro-surface-ripples) That is why handpolished Zambuto mirrors have that high quality. Machine-polished mirrors work OK at lower- midrange magnifications. At highest magnifications ( 2XD - 3XD) it becomes more and more obvious as a mist/ haze hanging around the highly magnified star. The better the optics, the less the haze.

Nr 1 is due to the human eye. Nr 2 is an optics-rule, nr 3 is due to polishing quality.
The view was not blurred, but just misty - even foggy, and that was 333x with a 300 mm primary mirror.
And in broad daylight, in the middle of a sunny day.
I tried to focus to a spruce cone.
- Juha

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

turboscrew wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:40 pm The view was not blurred, but just misty - even foggy, and that was 333x with a 300 mm primary mirror.
Foggy even at 1.1XD ?
That is serious. It rules out the minor Seidel aberrations like Field curvature, minor Coma, Distortion.
Astigmatism but above all severe Spherical aberration could be a cause of it. Zones are candidates too. But I haven't heard you complain about fat stars at night.

Daytime:
Don't rule out extraneus lights, like the brilliance of low angle scattered light even in a blackened tube, especially during daytime. It can be really really horrifying during the day but hardly visible under dark skies while examining DSO's. Flocking your tube might help.

Two pictures of a telescope directed at clouds, as seen from the eyepiece.
Not- flocked and flocked. Look at all the extraneus light that reaches the eyepiece.
Met en zonder light-trap in Mak.png

Last thing I can think of is that the edges of the mirror are not well polished at all. Nr. 3 in the former post. Zambuto makes his mirror surfaces smooth, but that is not the only thing. If there are lots of little scratches and digs remaining from the coarser grinding process, especially at the edges, it leads to a mistier image. Everybody looks at the middle of a mirror, but that is the least important place. The edges are more important. You can examine that yourself with a very strong magnifying glass.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

John Baars wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:22 pm
turboscrew wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:40 pm The view was not blurred, but just misty - even foggy, and that was 333x with a 300 mm primary mirror.
Foggy even at 1.1XD ?
That is serious. It rules out the minor Seidel aberrations like Field curvature, minor Coma, Distortion.
Astigmatism but above all severe Spherical aberration could be a cause of it. Zones are candidates too. But I have't heard you complain about fat stars at night.
Fat stars? Well, if I don't know what they are, I've probably not seen them?
Daytime:
Don't rule out extraneus lights, like the brilliance of low angle scattered light even in a blackened tube, especially during daytime. It can be really really horrifying during the day but hardly visible under dark skies while examining DSO's. Flocking your tube might help.
I guess that's possible. It was a pretty bright and sunny day.
Two pictures of a telescope directed at clouds, as seen from the eyepiece.
Flocked and not-flocked. Look at all the extraneus light that reaches the eyepiece.

Last thing I can think of is that the edges of the mirror are not well polished at all. Nr. 3 in the former post. Zambuto makes his mirror surfaces smooth, but that is not the only thing. If there are lots of little scratches and digs remaining from the coarser grinding process, especially at the edges, it leads to a mistier image. Everybody looks at the middle of a mirror, but that is the least important place. The edges are more important. You can examine that yourself with a very strong magnifying glass.
I'll check that. It's the OrionOptics VX12 with the 1/10 pv mirror.
- Juha