is this a normal amount of hot pixels and noise? canon 500D/rebel T1i

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
realflow100 United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

is this a normal amount of hot pixels and noise? canon 500D/rebel T1i

Post by realflow100 »

After doing the "clean manually with the dust cap on the camera body" trick a couple times leaving it for at least a good minute or two
this is the result. a raw image of 30 seconds exposure at iso 12800 (max) with the dust cover on and viewfinder covered

I want to know if this looks like a "normal" amount of noise at these settings for my camera.
the amount of hot pixels and noise doesnt appear to be much (if any) different than before I did the "clean manually" trick but i'm not sure cause its hard to tell.
my camera is quite old and well used.
https://easyupload.io/871lq0

nevermind i found a website. here is raw .cr2 file
Svbony SV503 70mm ED F6 420mm FL refractor telescope (New)
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-F6.3 II VC lens
canon 50mm STM F1.8
svbony 8-24mm zoom eyepiece
svbony goldline 66 degree 9mm and 6mm + 40mm plossl + 2x barlow.
svbony UHC 1.25 filter + astromania 1.25" O-3 filter + also an svbony H-B filter.
seigell United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

Re: is this a normal amount of hot pixels and noise? canon 500D/rebel T1i

Post by seigell »

Actually, that CR2 looks rather decent for an "old" T1i - especially one that was "pushed" to ISO12800.

I see the expected Read Noise and a bit of Pattern Banding, but not able to find a single Hot Pixel.

I assume that your "manual clean", you were actually performing the In-Camera Hot Pixel Detection and Deletion" routine. It did the trick for me with my T2i for years (redo the routine every 6 months - to address any Newly Failed pixels).

Now, of course, you won't be shooting DSO at ISO12800 (the digital gain is not worth the increased Noise). T1i works best around ISO800 (best ISO Noise / Dynamic Range).
ES AR152 / ES 80ED Apo / Orion 8in F/3.9 / C9.25-SCT / C6-SCT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90 / Meade 6000 APO 115mm
CGEM (w HyperTune and ADM bling) / 2x CG5-AGT / Forest of Tripod legs / Star Adventurer / Orion EQ-G
550D (Modded-G.Honis) / 60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide / Mini 50 SSAG / ST-8300C / ASI120MM-S / ASI1600MM-Cool
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't... (Currently Self-Exiled to Muggy Central Florida...)
realflow100 United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: is this a normal amount of hot pixels and noise? canon 500D/rebel T1i

Post by realflow100 »

it depends how fast or slow the lens im using is in terms of ISO for exposure length.
Too fast of lens = over exposed even with a long exposure. so I have to use a lower iso. at a certain point I'll be at iso 100 if I do a minute or two long exposure at 50mm F1.8 even that might be too long of an exposure. because of my crazy insane light pollution where I live.
just a 30 second exposure at F5.6 at iso 1600 already blows out the core of orion nebula and many stars.

I see some noticable hot pixels in low light when shooting video or using live display.
one near the left kinda. and a few bright white and red ones near the middle. super annoying. and repeating the manual clean trick doesnt get them to go away.

I'll try to take some photos of moderate-low light to show what I mean later when I get the chance

Make quadruply sure the program your using to view the raw .cr2 does not automatically try to fix hot pixels ect.
Svbony SV503 70mm ED F6 420mm FL refractor telescope (New)
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-F6.3 II VC lens
canon 50mm STM F1.8
svbony 8-24mm zoom eyepiece
svbony goldline 66 degree 9mm and 6mm + 40mm plossl + 2x barlow.
svbony UHC 1.25 filter + astromania 1.25" O-3 filter + also an svbony H-B filter.