Can't see stars with my camera

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
bigfish
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Can't see stars with my camera

Post by bigfish »

Last night we had a somewhat clear sky. I was planning on using my new Bahtinov mask to focus on a star. There were not a lot of bright stars, only a couple and they weren't all that bright to begin with. When I looked through the finder scope I could see a ton of stars that I couldn't see with my naked eye. The problem is when I tried to find a star with mt ASI183 I couldn't see any at all.
I tried all kinds of different settings, ASICap, Firecapture and Sharpcap but nothing. The camera was working fine on the Moon and Jupiter but not the stars.
Is it possible the stars just weren't bright enough? Or something else?
I have A laser collimator and as far as I can tell everything is straight.

So after fooling around for more than an hour trying to find a star my hand controller decided to die (no power at all) then a bunch of clouds moved in. :lol: I was super disappointed and packed it up without trying to find a star with an eyepiece.
Redcat 51, Orion 8"x1000mm Reflector, ASI183MC Pro, ASI533MC Pro, ASI462MC, ASI120 Mini, SVBONY SV106 Guide Scope, ZWO Mini Guide Scope, Skywatcher EQ6 Pro, Sky view Pro.
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1044

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Re: Can't see stars with my camera

Post by Gordon »

What did you have the exposure time set to. Could it be that it was set too fast? Typically a 10 second exposure time should give you stars.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Gfamily Wales
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Gfamily »

How annoying.

Since you know you can get an image of Jupiter with the camera, I would start with that, then when you have it in the middle of the sensor and with as good a focus as you can manage; when you have both of those, go to your finder and use its adjustments to make sure Jupiter is exactly positioned on the cross hairs.
Then, without touching the camera or its settings, move across and get Saturn exactly on the finder's cross hairs.

Adjust the gain on your software until you have as good an image of Saturn as you can get.

If you can't get any image of Saturn, go back to Jupiter (only using the finder to centre it), if you can't find Jupiter this time, it's likely that there's some slackness in the optical path.

If you can get an image of Saturn, then go to Altair, centreing it again in the finder, and adjusting the gain until it's visible in the software.

Make a note of the gain settings needed for stars.
LS8 Meade SCT, SW 127 Mak, 72mm Lightwave Refractor
Star Adventurer
AZ Gti mount
www.midcheshireastro.co.uk for astro company
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

I suspect a combination of focus and exposure time. A agree, 10 seconds will usually shows stars that are moderately out of focus, so that is where I would start.

Hope this helps,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
bigfish
Mars Ambassador

Post by bigfish »

Gordon wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:37 pm What did you have the exposure time set to. Could it be that it was set too fast? Typically a 10 second exposure time should give you stars.
I did have "high speed" checked and file type to AVI.
I guess it should be JPEG?
Redcat 51, Orion 8"x1000mm Reflector, ASI183MC Pro, ASI533MC Pro, ASI462MC, ASI120 Mini, SVBONY SV106 Guide Scope, ZWO Mini Guide Scope, Skywatcher EQ6 Pro, Sky view Pro.
bigfish
Mars Ambassador

Post by bigfish »

sdbodin wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:02 pm I suspect a combination of focus and exposure time. A agree, 10 seconds will usually shows stars that are moderately out of focus, so that is where I would start.

Hope this helps,
Steve
Should I have the file type set to JPEG?
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

bigfish wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:38 pm Should I have the file type set to JPEG?
Should make no difference, you are not saving a file, only viewing in real time.

Steve
bigfish
Mars Ambassador

Post by bigfish »

sdbodin wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:00 pm
bigfish wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:38 pm Should I have the file type set to JPEG?
Should make no difference, you are not saving a file, only viewing in real time.

Steve
Then I don't know how to make it a 10 second exposure.
I had the exposure slider cranked up. Is there another setting? What about high speed being checked?
Thanks for your help.
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

OK, I don't use Sharpcap much, but this works for me when testing.
sharpcap_pic.jpg
Just set whatever exposure time you want, also make sure gain and gamma are pushed up, you can change them later to make the picture better.

Steve
bigfish
Mars Ambassador

Post by bigfish »

sdbodin wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:24 pm OK, I don't use Sharpcap much, but this works for me when testing.
Just set whatever exposure time you want, also make sure gain and gamma are pushed up, you can change them later to make the picture better.
Steve
Thank you Steve!
I think I understand now.
I found the setting in both ASICap and Firecapture.
Attachments
10 seconds.png