Atmospheric dispersion or something else?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Atmospheric dispersion or something else?

Post by turboscrew »

Last night I had yet another try with my OrionOptics VX12. Tried to see Jupiter, saturn and some DSOs in Cygnus.
The session took about one hour followed bu about 1.5 hours of heavy cursing.
I didn't see any DSOs, and I imagine that the sky was not dark enough yet, I saw Jupiter and, I think, 4 moons, and I saw Saturn, but the images were terrible.

With 10 mm eyepiece (120X)I saw something like this:
https://www.cloudynights.com/uploads/mo ... 805639.jpg
Is this normal given the conditions, or is there something wrong with my gear?

The seeing was supposed to be quite good, but Saturn was about 7 degrees above the horizon.
Meteoblue ( https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/ou ... and_644450 )
gave 5 for seeing index 1 and 4 for seeing index 2.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Atmospheric dispersion or something else?

Post by sdbodin »

Yup, sounds about right, I don't look at anything 7 deg above the horizon. Haven't looked at either Jupiter or Saturn this year and they are 20 deg above my horizon, and don't plan to either. Just an exercise in frustration.

Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

sdbodin wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:41 pm Yup, sounds about right, I don't look at anything 7 deg above the horizon. Haven't looked at either Jupiter or Saturn this year and they are 20 deg above my horizon, and don't plan to either. Just an exercise in frustration.

Steve
Phooh, that's a relief.
This was the 3rd time I took the tube out - the weather Gods haven't been good to me.
I'm still figuring out how the thing behaves.

I also learned that I really need a tracking EQ mount. With 10 mm eyepiece , I didn't even get it focused when Saturn was out of the FOV. And my Dobson is not that smooth to move. It's a bit sticky causing big overshoots in adjustments.
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

BTW, I wonder if the linked picture is turned around? I think in my "upside down" view, the red was above and the blue below. The general blurriness was the same.
- Juha

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

turboscrew wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:56 pm BTW, I wonder if the linked picture is turned around? I think in my "upside down" view, the red was above and the blue below. The general blurriness was the same.
You are right.
Blue rays on top, red at bottom. In a Newton reversed.
The colors as well as the blurriness can be corrected by a athmospheric Dispersion Corrector. It works quite well in refractors with their long focus range. In a Newton one must be careful and ask the dealer how much focus-travel is added.
https://agenaastro.com/zwo-1-25-inch-at ... r-adc.html
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

John Baars wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:59 pm
turboscrew wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:56 pm BTW, I wonder if the linked picture is turned around? I think in my "upside down" view, the red was above and the blue below. The general blurriness was the same.
You are right.
Blue rays on top, red at bottom. In a Newton reversed.
The colors as well as the blurriness can be corrected by a athmospheric Dispersion Corrector. It works quite well in refractors with their long focus range. In a Newton one must be careful and ask the dealer how much focus-travel is added.
https://agenaastro.com/zwo-1-25-inch-at ... r-adc.html
Good to know. I had a brief look, but decided to leave the atmospheric dispersion connectors for later.
- Juha

Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Baurice »

I've managed to get Jupiter's two main cloud belts and Saturn's rings (but not the Cassini Division) but it has been tough.