Total Beginner - Computerised Telescope Advice

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Magic86
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Total Beginner - Computerised Telescope Advice

Post by Magic86 »

Hi All!

I’ve always loved space and star gazing and would like to explore a little more. I’m probably mainly after your typical moon (as close as I can see), nearby planets and stars.

It’s something I just want to be able to go in the garden or out camping and take a telescope and explore. That’s sort of where I’m at.

I was looking at computerised telescopes because they sound amazing. Taking all the hard work out of it and letting me see what I want to see.

With that in mind, I was looking at the Celestron LCM 80 and wondered if anyone could give some advice? Is it right for what I want is are there better options for under £200?

Thanks!!!
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Total Beginner - Computerised Telescope Advice

Post by helicon »

Hello and Welcome to the Forums. I'm not familiar with that scope but I am sure someone will be along to answer your question.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Hello and welcome :)
Are you buying this from a retailer or used?

If it works properly then 200 is not a bad price, does it come with any accessories?
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Magic86
Earth Ambassador

Post by Magic86 »

Thanks for replying. It comes with 2 eye pieces and a tripod so pretty basic.

I was also looking at the Celestron Starsense 114AZ which although isn’t computerised it does use a smartphone to help you track the stars. It’s a Newtonian and looks slightly better spec.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

These telescopes are the bare basic for goto mounts, as far as I know the LCM is discontinued so my question if used or not.

These do work generally, reasonably well can can get you out viewing. Either will require a bit of setup and tweaking that people here can help you with.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Magic86
Earth Ambassador

Post by Magic86 »

It’s new.

The LCM is £170 and the 114 Newtonian is £199.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

For ease of use to start I would suggest the refractor version as they seldom need collimating of the lens cell where as if traveling with the newtonian you will need to learn to collimate the mirrors.
A easy enough thing to do but is one thing less to worry about with the refractor.
Gabrielle
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Hello Magic,
Welcome to the forums!
Maybe this is not the digital and computerized answer that you want, but it comes from the real world.

-Buy yourself a planisphere and discover the constellations. https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/pr ... rsion.html or just download the free planetarium program http://stellarium.org/ Online (less impressive): https://stellarium-web.org/
-Buy a good atlas and make yourself familiar with the brightest stars. https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/pr ... -6mag.html
-Buy a pair of 10X50 binoculars and try to find some of the brightest deepsky-objects.

Then comes the moment to decide whether you still want to buy one of the two telescopes you suggested. That may be the case, but at least you will have a solid base of observing experience by then, which will prevent your new telescope ending up in a cupboard.

Beware:
Goto systems seem rather easy.
Every goto or computerized telescope needs calibration on the brightest stars. In most cases you must know their name....some don't need it. Those with GPS calibration are very expensive.
"If"... you succeed calibration, your database will direct to 4000 objects. Of which 3900 cannot be seen. Because they are too faint for your telescope under moderate light polluted skies.
On the whole most of you money goes to the electronics and not the optics. Economic closing post on these kind of telescopes are the mechanics.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Hello and welcome to TSS :)

Do NOT buy that 114mm

Notice that it states that the focal length is 1000mm (40"), BUT the scope is only 18" long!

That is what's called a Bird Jones design.
It uses an internal lense to create the 1000mm.
They are a PIA.

(An SCT or Mak is generally the only scope that effectively "folds" it's focal length)

Personally, I would look at Celestron's Nexstar series, quite proven.

If you go with this new LCM, get the refractor.

A Newton reflector should be approximately the same physical length as it's focal length.

Hope that helps :)

Feel free to ask more questions :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

To piggyback on Jeff's caution above, the reason the manufacturer uses that little lens in the focuser tube is to correct the image coming from the spherical primary mirror. A standard "vanilla" Newtonian uses a parabolic primary mirror. Parabolic mirrors take more work and time to make therefore making them more expensive to produce. This is the reason why the focuser tube has that little lens (aka sub-aperture corrector). Go here to learn way more than you ever wanted to about this design: https://www.telescope-optics.net/sub_ap ... htm#bottom

Can you get a decent image from these scopes, yes, but the steps necessary to keep the optics aligned (collimated) requires more work than is necessary for a Newtonian with a parabolic primary mirror.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Because it's a new scope package, it's difficult to recommend it. It's quite "affordable" for a go-to scope.
You get what you pay for.

If you can swing for one of the scopes in the Nexstar series, you will have a scope that will last years.

If not, I would look at non goto scopes and use your phone to help find stuff :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Hi Magic, welcome to the boards, I would be tempted to look for a second hand NexStar. For visual these are good once you get the hang of alignment.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447