Looking for a portable "all-rounder" telescope

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
robunomy
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Looking for a portable "all-rounder" telescope

Post by robunomy »

Hi!

I would like to ask for advice with picking my first telescope.

I'm using binoculars mainly to observe the Moon, but the time has come for me to move to greater heights.

My main goals are versatility and portability. I live in the southern suburbs of Dublin in Ireland, basically at the base of the Wicklow Mountains.

I would like to use the telescope to observe the universe from my backyard as well as take it to the other side of the mountains away from Dublin for some deeper observations. I am also occasionally (not too often, though - like once every 2-3 months) traveling to rural areas of the country where the conditions are even better. I do not own a car and that's why I'm making a post like this instead of "which Dobsonian do I get?" I'll have to take the bus and then walk, take the bicycle or just walk when I'm taking the telescope out. I was recommended stuff like Skywatcher Heritage 130P but I'm not sure, feels maybe a bit too basic?

I'm interested in getting a telescope that would provide me with the best "general experience" in viewing the night sky in my situation. I'm not really interested in astrophotography at this time since I hear that is expensive. For a few years at least, I think just observations are fine

I'd like to get something that's sufficiently powerful while being portable and relatively beginner-friendly within the price range of 300-600 Euro with accessories. I don't think I want to go with something too basic as I'm 100% sure my interest in astronomy is not going away and I'd like to be OK with this telescope for a good while.

I've been reading a fair amount about telescopes on this sub in the last month or two, but there's just so much information that I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed/unsure when it comes to picking something that might suit me. There are a few telescopes that I think might suit me, but rather than listing those here, I figured I would just ask and see what would people with experience recommend me.

Thanks for reading all the way down here. I would appreciate any advice a lot!
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Looking for a portable "all-rounder" telescope

Post by Greenman »

I think Not an 8” Dobson looking at your portability issues... I would look at the back packers - probably Meade...

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/revi ... telescope/

:text-welcomeconfetti:
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The Meade backpack telescopes seem to be fairly popular and there are quite a few reviews available to see if it will work for your interests.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ARock »

A backpack "bus and walk" telescope is going to have to be lightweight (small) possibly on a photo tripod. A 80mm F/5 Sky-Watcher Startravel 80 OTA on a photo tripod might fit the bill. A 6" Mak/SCT would probably be ok too, but you might need a heavier mount for it which makes it non portable.

My suggestion would be to separate the two cases out, get something like Startravel 80 OTA on a photo tripod for portability and a 8" Dob for the backyard. You can probably fit both under 600 Euro.
AR
Scopes: Zhumell Z8, Meade Adventure 80mm, Bushnell 1300x100 Goto Mak.
Mount: ES EXOS Nano EQ Mount, DIY Arduino+Stepper drives.
AP: 50mm guidescope, AR0130 based guidecam, Canon T3i, UHC filter.
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.
FerrariMX5
Moon Ambassador

Post by FerrariMX5 »

Robunomy,

Welcome to the forum,

Disclaimer: I'm a beginner too.

Here is what I suggest to supplement your research,

1) Join a club or group to get hands on experience with different set-ups.
2) Go to your library: ours offers a loaner program and this program extends to all of our local libraries.

We check out a 4* Dobsonian telescope for two weeks at a time.
Each are equipped with a zoomable eyepiece. <-- advisable for a loaner
Your library may have a similar program

If you find the 4" Dobsonian telescope too awkward to fit your needs for portability, then the 8" will definitely be out.

600 Euro is a great budget to work with.

Basically, "basic" covers a lot of bases.
On the basis of portability, basic may very well meet your needs, but be sure to include desirable, quality features.
I based mine on the basis of cost, not portability. (I have $150.00 invested in the hobby so far)

A good scope that meets your objectives will carry you to the other side of the mountain and beyond.

300 Euro should also fill the bill for portability and light gathering ability.

You will get some great advise from the experienced members.

Clear skies.

Tony
:sprefac: Vintage Celestron NS8 Circa, 2002.
The speed of light: 299,792,458 Meters per Second
The speed of time: One Second per Second.
The speed of gravity: 299,792,458 Meters per Second
Warp 10: Touching all points in the universe at the same time.
Welcome to the Universe (Its bigger than you think).
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

I used to take the bus/train and then walk to my observing destinations, and the two most widely used scopes were:

o) Orion Skyscanner 100 (also known as the Skywatcher Heritage 100p but not sure if SW still distributes it) - you can mount a heavy duty photo tripod at the bottom of the tabletop mount. Scope goes in a backpack, while the tripod goes in a shoulder bag.

o) Celestron Powerseeker 114 or Meade Polaris 114 (114/900mm Newt) - both scope and EQ tripod goes into an Orion or Meade shoulder carry bag.
The Meade comes with an adequate EQ tripod, while the Celestron needs a slightly beefier tripod.

I have a scope nearly identical to the Skywatcher Heritage 130p - this provides slightly larger aperture than the above two scopes, but you'll need to find a carry bag that the scope will fit into (couldn't really find one, but you might find something). Probably need to create a light shroud to cover the open/exposed part of the scope. Also you'll need to find a bench or table to set the scope on, as it doesn't have an option to put a camera/video tripod at the bottom of the base (like the Skyscanner or Heritage 100p).

The smallest scope I took with me as a grab-and go was a 50mm F/7 Meade refractor to Australia 3 yrs ago - it fit inside my airplane carry-on backpack. Saw a lot of deep sky objects with it. Also took the Orion Skyscanner with me to Australia last December as an airplane carry-on, so my main backpack had to be checked-in.

You can see a lot of deep-sky objects outside the city, as long your expectations aren't too high.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I went to the Astronomy Ireland office and showroom in Swords (near the airport) when I was visiting Ireland about 6-7 yrs ago. All Celestron products though. In fact, all the scopes I saw in the camera stores in Dublin were Celestron models and nothing else.
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
robunomy
Earth Ambassador

Post by robunomy »

OleCuss wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:19 pm Welcome to the forum!

Much depends on your definition of "portable". This can range from needing to fit into a backpack to being able to put the rig on a semi-tractor's trailer.

So far, I'd be inclined to think you will find an 8" Dobsonian to be your best bet. Fits pretty well into most automobiles and not too tough to carry when needed (IMHO). Quite a bit of light-gathering and you'll probably be able to get up to 200x (and maybe a little bit more) when observing the planets. Overall, for visual use it is usually the best value.
I do not own a car. I would probably go for a 6-8 inch Dobsonian if I had a car as it's so heavily recommended but I don't think it's the best considering my overall conditions. That's why I'm looking for "the next best thing"
OleCuss
Mars Ambassador

Post by OleCuss »

robunomy wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:33 pm
OleCuss wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:19 pm Welcome to the forum!

Much depends on your definition of "portable". This can range from needing to fit into a backpack to being able to put the rig on a semi-tractor's trailer.

So far, I'd be inclined to think you will find an 8" Dobsonian to be your best bet. Fits pretty well into most automobiles and not too tough to carry when needed (IMHO). Quite a bit of light-gathering and you'll probably be able to get up to 200x (and maybe a little bit more) when observing the planets. Overall, for visual use it is usually the best value.
I do not own a car. I would probably go for a 6-8 inch Dobsonian if I had a car as it's so heavily recommended but I don't think it's the best considering my overall conditions. That's why I'm looking for "the next best thing"
Much would depend on the bus. If you built a case to hold the instrument and if you bus has a luggage storage underneath - you could make it work.

Otherwise, a nice ETX-80 can be quite enjoyable and you can, indeed, get it in a backpack version.

Alternatively? If you can swing the budget, a really good ED spotting scope can be awesome! Great for night-time and for daytime as well. Plus, they are made rather rugged as well as portable. Something like an 80mm swarovski with a case and a nice tripod and tripod head? Expensive but great!
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Given that you would use public transportation, I assume you don't want something that's heavy and/or large or long. If so, I'd suggest having a look at a 80-100mm fast (i.e. short focal length) refractor or a small Maksutov. (I have both, largely for their portability.)

Those can be used on a photo tripod which can be collapsed down to a relatively small size.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

I will second an 80mm f5. They are sometimes called short tubes or ST-80 :)
Meade and Skywatcher have them. You can get one in a backpack, but the included tripod is JUNK. However the kit is well below your price range, so you could literally throw the tripod away and replace it with a better one and still be below your price point ;)

Now, that said, the ST-80 is best for deeper sky stuff and will show a lot of false colour or CA on planets :(

Another option is a small Mak, I have a Celestron/Skywatcher C90. It also is available in a backpack. (Again, the tripod issue) but it also will be in your budget.

I have both of the above scopes, love both.
If I want deeper sky I go with the first, if I want planets I go with the second.

IMHO, the ST-80 is probably a bit more versital than the C90 Mak.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Whatever you get it will have to be on a mount that is vertically adjustable. With such a mount you will not need an adjustable observation chair. I doubt you can carry an observation chair on the bus/bicycle. To observe without a chair is very painful after a short while. With all the moving/traveling you will need a scope that holds collimation very well. That will be a refractor on a vertically adjustable tripod/mount. I would use a 80mm f5 refractor. Upgrade eyepieces with GSO/Meade 32mm, 25mm, and 20mm plossls with a 2x barlow lens. Most of these 80mm f5 scopes come with a mount you can just go ahead an throw in the trash. The Orion Tritech II tripod may work/check around for other tripods low in weight. I started with a telescope. Now fifty percent of my observing is done with binoculars. With the Oberwerk 15x70 LW binoculars mounted on the Orion Tritech, I could observe M104 Sombrero galaxy from my bortle 4 darksite.

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

If you want a "rest of your lifetime scope", to me, this is by far your best Jack-of-All-Trades telescope -- the Celestron 5SE. It is just a tiny bit above your budget, but well worth it.
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/se-ser ... r-5se.html

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

JayTee wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:37 am If you want a "rest of your lifetime scope", to me, this is by far your best Jack-of-All-Trades telescope -- the Celestron 5SE. It is just a tiny bit above your budget, but well worth it.
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/se-ser ... r-5se.html

Cheers,
JT
Not exactly bus/ bicycle transportable though or at least not with the tripod. :)

I would look at the various backpack telescopes available as well as the various spotting refractors, Harrison, First Light Optics or 365 Astronomy in UK all carry different spotting scopes as well.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

robunomy wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:03 pm I don't think I want to go with something too basic as I'm 100% sure my interest in astronomy is not going away and I'd like to be OK with this telescope for a good while.
robunomy wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:03 pm I'll have to take the bus and then walk, take the bicycle or just walk when I'm taking the telescope out.
IMHO These are two conflicting criteria. Most (NOT ALL) backpack scopes that are bus/bicycle/walking friendly don't usually fall into the category of "I'd like to be OK with this telescope for a good while." My recommendation was based on getting a scope that will be with you for a good while because your modes of transportation could change tomorrow!

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Baurice »

Astrophotography is not expensive. Long exposure deep sky astrophotography is. There are loads of objects that you can photograph without using long exposures.

Here's a few examples:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I'm told, but haven't tried it myself, that chromatic aberration in fast refractors is easily knocked down with an inexpensive filter. Aside from that, bright stars and planets in my 80mm aren't too horrible IMO. But everybody has a different tolerance for what's acceptable to them.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
robunomy
Earth Ambassador

Post by robunomy »

Thank you all for the responses folks! I really appreciate it.

I'm leaning towards ARock's suggestion to separate the two cases in order to avoid having to make compromises.
I'm now thinking I'd get an 8-inch Dobsonian for the backyard, and grab a suitable "portable" small scope later if/when I need it (and am able to finance it) and for the meantime I'd just keep using my Olympus 10 x 50 DPS-1 binoculars for my bike trips/walks up the mountain.
I was sort of hesitant about the Dobsonian not only due to the portability issue, but also due to the higher levels of light pollution in the area I live in. However, I read everywhere that people even in areas with suburban light conditions can see quite a bit with an 8-inch Dob (I really like the lingo, by the way ^^.) I think this applies to me as well as I'd say it's around Bortle 5-7 - the situation isn't quite that bad, particularly when looking towards the south (Dublin lighting everything up to the north is pretty noticeable.)

Would you say this makes sense to you? If so, any recommendations about the Dobsonian? There seem to be so many since they're so popular.
ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ARock »

IMO the best deal is an Apertura AD8 or a Zhumell Z8. They are a little more expensive than the competition but the included accessories make them great value. But these brands might be much more expensive in your neck of the woods, where Skywatcher or Orion are likely to be your main options. But the AD8 and the Z8 are brandnames for the same Dob made by GSO, and they likely sell under other brands as well. So you might find a Dob, which looks exactly the same as the AD8 but has a different name. The mirros on most Dobs are very similar, the differences are in the base/bearings, focuser, and accessories.

It is good to buy one with a 2" (with 1.25" adapter) dual speed Crayford focuser (common), and comes with a Right Angle Correct Image (RACI) finderscope (rarer except the AD8 and Z8).
AR
Scopes: Zhumell Z8, Meade Adventure 80mm, Bushnell 1300x100 Goto Mak.
Mount: ES EXOS Nano EQ Mount, DIY Arduino+Stepper drives.
AP: 50mm guidescope, AR0130 based guidecam, Canon T3i, UHC filter.
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.