Newbie With Celestron 130 SLT Questions

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
steverandell
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Newbie With Celestron 130 SLT Questions

Post by steverandell »

Hi im relatively new to using a telescope..ive used a small celestron for a while and this week ive upgraded to a celestron nexstar 130SLT.. It was seond hand but i thought id take a chance.. there were no eye pieces with it but i had two i can use from the other telescope i have.. also on the 130slt there is a 2x doubler.. when i put the eye pieces into it ( a 20mm and a 10mm) i just cannot see anything .. if i look at the moon its just a completed out of focus white light , and if i try and look at any stars all i can see is the plastic cross piece at the top of the tube if tht makes sense.. do i need to use a different size eye piece or do you think there could be something wrong with the setup of the telescope... if i use the two eyepieces without the doubler the images are nice and clear.. but im eager to see smaller objects bigger and clearer..
Also i would really love to be able to take photos,, i have a dslr type camera how do i attach it to get photos ive tried just holding the camera close to the eyepiece but thats nigh on impossible to get a picture.
any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
cheers steve
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Newbie With Celestron 130 SLT Questions

Post by JayTee »

Hi Steve,

I moved your post over to the beginner's forum so it would get more responses. Your new title is Newbie With Celestron 130 SLT Questions

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Hello and welcome Steve, the first question.
Are the secondary mirror and primary collimated?
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

steverandell wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:49 pm if i use the two eyepieces without the doubler the images are nice and clear.. but im eager to see smaller objects bigger and clearer..

Hello Steve

I would get used to using your new telescope without the Barlow (doubler) for a while and you will start to get used to seeing where it comes into focus etc.

Welcome to the forum.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
steverandell
Earth Ambassador

Post by steverandell »

I think I know what the problem is.. the Barlow doesn't have any glass lens in it ..it's just a hollow tube..or is this how it's meant to be?
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

steverandell wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:11 am I think I know what the problem is.. the Barlow doesn't have any glass lens in it ..it's just a hollow tube..or is this how it's meant to be?

Not normally! Either the lens is missing or it's an extension tube. Is there any text printed on it?
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Lots of people remove the lens on these cheap barlows to make an extension tube for close up views , so try looking at something close like a lamp post and it should work, however with the extension in place the telescope will not focus on distant objects ,like the moon , stars etc.
If you want you could get a shorter eyepiece for more magnification , but dont get shorter than 5mm as your scope is a F5
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Steve and welcome to TSS!

I also have a 130 SLT and had a great time with it. Still pull it out occasionally.

Optically, it is pretty good. Quite shaky too, but some of that can be helped with a few tweaks. GOTO works pretty well.

Photography with a dslr will be quite challenging. Prime focus by mounting the camera directly to the focuser is pretty much out unless you modify the scope by moving the primary mirror up the tube. Eyepiece projection method works, but the quality it low. If you are trying to get “something”, a cell phone with adapter will get you that.

The 10mm and 20 mm eyepieces are just about what you need. You can get down to a 5 mm for high magnification views (130x), but I was only able to use it mine only a few nights a year when the seeing was exceptional. A small and clear view beats a close up fuzzy view.

Get out and enjoy! Let us know how it goes and good luck!

Overall, for the money, it is a nice fun scope and you should get lots of enjoyment from is.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
steverandell
Earth Ambassador

Post by steverandell »

Thanks For the advice everyone..the 2x doubler must have been used as you say for an extension...the moon last night on the 10mm was incredible detail.. I was just so disappointed I couldn't get a photo of it... So the general consensus is to get a phone mount rather than a camera mount
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

For the moon and planets you can get a cheap camera/web cam type eyepiece they fit into the focuser same as an eyepiece and are light so will work on the scope , they really only work for the moon despite the adds stating its good for the major planets , my Avatar is with one
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Adding a barlow ( with a lens) in the light path means more in-travel of the focusser. If it is a real barlow and you can't reach focus not much can be done about it exept ( and you don't want to do this, exept being ATM) moving the mirror upwards in the tube. Extra short barlows are specially made for Newtons. Such a barlow doesn't come with the standard accessoires though.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.