Help with autoguiding and mount setup !

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Tycho65 Great Britain
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Help with autoguiding and mount setup !

Post by Tycho65 »

_MG_1742.JPG
Hi Astronomy friends,

I have reached a crossroads in this astronomy hobby. I have a Skywatcher EQ3 Pro Synscan mount with a Starwave 70mm ED refractor. I have tested autoguiding on PhD2 with a ZWO120mm-S guide camera on an Altair 60mm guide scope. I found that autoguiding was difficult as I had to balance the scope on my mount which was only EQ3 Pro. I had to find the necessary dovetail bar to mount on my EQ mount. I found attaching the guidescope to the telescope RDF bracket caused too much rotational loading on the system. After some time I found a small dovetail bar to attach the guidescope to the telescope (I had to buy telescope rings, adapt the rings as it would not fit tightly using some felt to pad it); further delay came from unable to focus the guide camera in the guidescope !! Then my mount failed and I had to get a replacement motor controller....all this took time and money. Then my work and other committments lead to many months of no astronomy.
Then I have decided to come back to this hobby during the lockdown in the UK. I then started practice autoguiding with a ZWO120mm-S and ST-4 connection (USB cable from camera to laptop, and ST-4 cable to the mount autoguider port). I found guiding to be around 1 to 1.3 arc RMS if I can remember. I thought this was not too bad, but the PhD2 guiding showed wild fluctuations of the RA graph, I don't really know how to interpret it all. I suppose I have to study PhD2 ?? in some depth. I started reading all the articles and instructions on PhD2 and autoguiding. Then I decided to go the EqMOD route, and now I have managed to control my mount I think using EqMod and the EqDir cable (and dispense with the Handcontroller)!
I now find my telescope and guidescope (with tube rings on scope and guidescope) is about 4 kg (without cameras or eyepiece in place). It feels heavy on my mount. Is this too much to put on the Eq3 ? I am wondering, do I upgrade to a HEQ5 Pro (with Rowan belt) or EQ6-R Pro, or better ? I suppose that depends on my budget I guess...

I think my 3rd imaging session with the EQ3 (Feb 15th 2018) actually yielded fair results, my problem was getting good flats and enough lights and I had a light pollution CLS filter on the Canon 100D camera (unmodified). I tested different objects with only about 30mins integration times. Anyhow, with my better image integration and processing (still learning !!!), my original data was not bad. I had the Horsehead nebula with reasonable Ha in the image !! I just have to muster some enthusiasm to setup on a dark night to manage HOURS, HOURS of data, learn autoguiding, drift alignment and maybe I will get a better image.

Some advice on mount upgrade or any advice would be really welcome ! (photo of the ED70 and guidescope attached).

Thanks.
Magnus
Then
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Help with autoguiding and mount setup !

Post by UlteriorModem »

I dont understand. Using the ST4 port bypasses any and all 'control' from the laptop.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Tycho65 Great Britain
Earth Ambassador

Post by Tycho65 »

UlteriorModem wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:00 pm I dont understand. Using the ST4 port bypasses any and all 'control' from the laptop.
Hi,
I have tried the ST4 port before, but now I am going to use Eqmod via a Eqdir cable.
I wondered if OTA and guidescope with tube rings is too heavy for my EQ3 mount.

Thanks
Magnus
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

From what I read about the EQ3 it's rated capacity is 5.5 kg or around 12 lbs.

A 'rule of thumb' for accessing a mount's capacity for AP is not to exceed 50-60 percent of the mounts listed capacity. So 8 lbs would be considered the 'maximum' for that mount.

So add up the weight of your equipment and you will have the answer. Unfortunately yes I believe it is too much weight on the EQ3.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Tycho65 Great Britain
Earth Ambassador

Post by Tycho65 »

Thanks Tom,
Looks like I will have to upgrade my mount to something better suited to AP.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

There is nothing wrong with ST-4 autoguiding. It is a convenient way to separate tracking from guiding. So you can use EQMod for goto and ST-4 for auto-guiding. If you like to combine it through EQMod, nothing wrong with that either. Your main problem is the mount. Upgrading will solve a lot of problems. If you search on SGL you will find several people who used an EQ3 mount for AP quite successfully so it can be done. I have no doubt it will be frustrating. Also the EQ3 generally has no ball bearings so it will have stiction.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Tycho65 Great Britain
Earth Ambassador

Post by Tycho65 »

Thanks Henk!
I did not know there was no ball bearings in EQ3. There is certainly lots of "stiction" or is that backlash ?

I think my setup with the tube rings on my OTA makes everything too heavy. That is quite a lot of heavy metal there in those tube rings !!
I got 1 to 1.5 arc second RMS on autoguiding using ST4 with the ASI120mm-S camera on the 60mm guidescope. I might go through the graphs and data to see if I can understand it. I still have to read the manual on PhD2 !!

I think I will upgrade the mount, its too much frustrations, and could take me years to control with the number of clear nights we get in the UK.
Now its deciding what mount to get. That depends on if I can get back into work, as I would like to combine my night time astronomy and my daytime solar Halpha interests.

Magnus
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

“Stiction” is static friction. The drive motors have to overcome the stiction to move the mount in declination or right ascension. Stiction also makes it difficult to balance. Ball bearings greatly reduce the resistance to movement.

1.0 -1.5 arc SEC total rms error isn’t horrible (I have a Celestron AVX). How do your stars look?

Upgrading the mount would probably be a good idea anyway especially if it is in your budget.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

I got 1 to 1.5 arc second RMS
That's not too bad considering the load on the mount.
Tom

Current Equipment: