omegon push+ problems

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Robby1985
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

omegon push+ problems

Post by Robby1985 »

hi there,
after 20 years i bought me a new telescope, a Omegon Dobson Advanced X N 203/1200
this telescope was sold in a kit wit a Omegon Push+ system.

ive read the manual and bought myself the Skysafari 6 Plus app for my cellphone, adjusted the parameters and connected the omegon push system.
connection perfect and allignment goes also. But in the Azimuth the encoder registers nothing... only altitude works.

contacted the reseller, and he send me a new one... did everything again, guess what=> same problem
i tried my girlfriends cellphone, and installed stellarium and skychart on my pc and everywhere the same problem

contacted the seller again and he send me a new kit, now i have 3 kits here at home (feeling myself very stupid about his, is it me or what???)

Mounted everything again, problems stays
no movement in the azimuth, even when i dismount the encoder after a star allignment and turn it by hand.. it registers nothing.

are there people that recognize this problem, had the same problem or have a solution???

maybe people from belgium or not to far in holland that uses one and let me pass by to show me what i do wrong???

greetz Robby
Ruud
Orion Spur Ambassador

Re: omegon push+ problems

Post by Ruud »

Hi Robby,

did you see this video?

7x50 Helios Apollo 8x42 Bresser Everest 73mm f/5.9 WO APO 4" f/5 TeleVue Genesis 6" f/10 Celestron 6SE 0.63x reducer 1.8, 2, 2.5 and 3x Barlows eyepieces from 4.5 to 34mm
Robby1985
Earth Ambassador

Post by Robby1985 »

yes, its the only instalation video there is. also a paper IKEA like version.
i have 3 different setting, one for skysafari, one for stellariom, one for skychart, but they do all the same.
ALT works and AZ not. already had 3 sets of the push + so there must be something i do wrong.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I have Astro Devices encoders that I use with SS+. My azimuth stopped working once, but it turned out the connector was loose.

Maybe recheck all parameters like encoder step number? And SS is set to alt-az?
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Robby1985
Earth Ambassador

Post by Robby1985 »

did recheck the parameters multiple times, changed the read out speed also from slow to fast. sometimes the skysafari app does also invert my ALT, scope goes down and on my screen he says it moves up.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

After three times I would be sending the entire telescope back for exchange.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Robby1985
Earth Ambassador

Post by Robby1985 »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:19 pm After three times I would be sending the entire telescope back for exchange.
thats the point... ive got 2 new sets of encoders and they do al the same when i reinstall everything.
the shop is now gonna install one and try and keep me posted. very curieous what im doing wrong.
i can adjust a machine or a robot to 0.001mm right in his position, but cant get a push+ not to get working right. very strange

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Robby1985 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 2:19 pm sometimes the skysafari app does also invert my ALT, scope goes down and on my screen he says it moves up.
I have experienced that a few times. Restarting has corrected it, but it’s annoying if I’ve spent the time to align on several targets.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Post by The Happy Parrot »

Robby1985 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 2:19 pm ... sometimes the skysafari app does also invert my ALT, scope goes down and on my screen he says it moves up.
Hi Robby1985. It sounds like polarity or component is reversed. Is it possible a connection is reversed, an item is placed backwards or upside down?
Robby1985
Earth Ambassador

Post by Robby1985 »

hi everyone, we found the solution. apparently there is a production fault in the vable between the 2 decoders. omegon wil sent me a new cable, they have a whole serie with faulty cable. glad its not me :p

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Always a good thing when there's a simple solution.
maxRSM
Earth Ambassador

Post by maxRSM »

Robby1985 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:50 pm hi everyone, we found the solution. apparently there is a production fault in the vable between the 2 decoders. omegon wil sent me a new cable, they have a whole serie with faulty cable. glad its not me :p
Hi all.
I have just received a Omegon plus+ and guess what , alt works ok, azimuth encoder doesn't work...
I guess there are a lot of faulty cables around...
In the faulty connector the color are [ BLACK RED GREEN BLUE ] in both of the plugs.
Please could you check and write down the colors in the new cable ?
Maybe i can fix the cable without waiting for a new one...
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

If your telescope is new contact your retailer to get a new cable under warranty.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
maxRSM
Earth Ambassador

Post by maxRSM »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:13 am If your telescope is new contact your retailer to get a new cable under warranty.
Yes, it is brand new and under warranty, but i tried to contact reseller but he have not answered yet.
So i have made a new cable on my own and it works !
In the original one the plug's metal clips are not forced enough in the cable so there is no contact between plugs and cable...
I have tried to use the PUSH+ with Sky Safari 6, it works for a while but at some point ALT goes in reverse mode, so i move the telescope up and the cursor on the screen goes down , so it's quite useless at the moment , no problem on the azimuth ,it works always :-/
I have tried to sync the position on the moon and after some 360° of the base the system mantains the alignment quite well but the altitude is swapped.
I have a dobson, so i have selected "altaz pushto system" in the menu and tried to put -36000 steps instead of +36000 in the encoder definition but it doesn't solve the issue.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

If you do not hear from your retailers soon you can try contacting Omegon directly: https://www.omegon.eu/contact
maxRSM
Earth Ambassador

Post by maxRSM »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:55 am If you do not hear from your retailers soon you can try contacting Omegon directly: https://www.omegon.eu/contact
They never answered my request BUT they have just shipped a new cable to my address !
I'm waiting for the delivery in some days.
:-)
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Sounds like quite the drama to get this working for you :(
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt