I think I am ready - Going to buy a Zhumell Z8 telescope and Nikon ACULON 16x50 binoculars (I think)

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
smccarthy
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

I think I am ready - Going to buy a Zhumell Z8 telescope and Nikon ACULON 16x50 binoculars (I think)

Post by smccarthy »

I think I have picked out my first purchase (that I'll make in a couple of weeks). The Zhumell Z8 Dobsonian telescope and the Nikon Aculon 16x50 binoculars. I live in San Tan Valley, AZ (USA), which is south of Phoenix. There is some light pollution (not as much as Phoenix or Chandler or Gilbert), but still some (I am on the outskirts, more south). I think the Z8 Dobsonian is a good value for a first telescope. I've seen many places that say it is a better option than the Orion SkyQuest XT8 (though Orion's customer service I hear is amazing). I first want to do just visuals with the telescope. Maybe after some time, I would like to take images ( I know I'd need a different telescope with the EQ mount , from what I've read ). But I figure I'd also need a DSLR camera ( I only have an iPhone 7 now - maybe an upgrade to the latest iPhone 11 in the near future ), so I won't make this first purchase on wanting to do pictures as well.

I was initially going to base my telescope purchase on whether it had Go-To or not, but I read mixed reviews on Go-To. Some even stated that you can use apps on your cell phone almost as easily to find objects. Before this, I was going to go with the Celestron 5 SE.

I know the Z8 Dobsonian is pretty large and bulky, but I live in a house (storage shouldn't be a problem), and have a minivan (transporting shouldn't be a problem), so I don't anticipate any issues using it either in my backyard, or traveling a little ways away with it.

I was looking at some Celestron binoculars, but I read a few posts around the internet that some have collimation (I think) issues. That is why I decided on the Nikon ones.

Are there any other options I should consider (around the same price range - around $400-$500 for the telescope and around $100-$150 for the binoculars)?

Thank you,

Shawn

PS: Are some places better to buy astronomy items (new) than others? I was looking mostly at Amazon, since I have Amazon Prime.
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Re: I think I am ready - Going to buy a Zhumell Z8 telescope and Nikon ACULON 16x50 binoculars (I think)

Post by Richard »

Congrats great scope , as far as the binos go you will need a tripod for 16x , me personally I would rather get 8-10x then they can be hand held
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: I think I am ready - Going to buy a Zhumell Z8 telescope and Nikon ACULON 16x50 binoculars (I think)

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I think you're doing fine! I have a Z12 and the 10x50 Aculons. You can likely get the Aculons at local sporting goods stores. ZhumellS are carried by Highpoint Scientific. https://www.highpointscientific.com/bra ... -zhue023-1

They do great support too.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Nice scope! You may want to consider a quality eyepiece to go along with it.
I have no experience with Nikon binoculars but I recently purchased a pair of Oberwerk 10 X 60 binos for $189.00 and they are fantastic!
You will need a tripod for the 16X.

Enjoy!

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I really like my 10x50 Aculons. Very light and easy to manage, but a tripod always helps IME.

And yes, I've had collimation problems with my C-tron Skymaster 15x70s. If I buy another pair of 15x70s, they'll be Oberwerks.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
smccarthy
Earth Ambassador

Post by smccarthy »

I just bought my Nikon Aculon's 10x50. They'll be here tomorrow ! I'll think of getting a tripod for the binoculars in the future (after using them without a tripod first).

I hope to buy that Zhumel Z8 in a few weeks. Is there any difference between ordering from Amazon (I have amazon prime) or highpointscientific.com ?

Larry 1969, I am looking at eye pieces now. However, I do not think I'd buy a new eyepiece until I use the eyepieces that come with the Z8 itself. Thanks for the idea !
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

smccarthy wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:41 am Larry 1969, I am looking at eye pieces now. However, I do not think I'd buy a new eyepiece until I use the eyepieces that come with the Z8 itself. Thanks for the idea !
The eyepieces that come with the scope are pretty decent. Decent enough that you will be impressed.
My scope has the same focal length as your Z8 (1,200 mm) and my go to eyepiece is my Explore Scientific 18mm 82* for DSOs and my 8.8mm 82* for planets. If seeing is good my 6.7mm 82* is nice.
Here's a cool field of view calculator that allows you to determine what you could expect to see with different eyepieces.

https://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/

Take your time and shop around. I purchased all of my eyepieces through Cloudy Night's classifieds.

Clear skies!

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

smccarthy wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:41 am Is there any difference between ordering from Amazon (I have amazon prime) or highpointscientific.com ?
Amazon has easy returns, but my first pair of Skymasters arrived broken on delivery from Amazon. I ordered my Twilight 1 mount from Amazon and that arrived fine as did my ST80 clone. My gut tells me that more expensive optics would best be ordered from Highpoint. YMMV.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

As mentioned before, 16x binoculars will need a tripod
Go for 10x :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

The Z8 is a good telescope. I have the Z10 and have really enjoyed it. Good luck with the purchase!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

You are on the right track Shawn. DOBs give you the most aperture for your $$ and Nikon makes good quality binos. I would consider 10x50 instead. They have wider field of view - easier to find targets in the sky and will be less shaky for free-hand observing. Still it will be a good idea to stabilize them with monopod.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

smccarthy wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:41 am I just bought my Nikon Aculon's 10x50. They'll be here tomorrow ! I'll think of getting a tripod for the binoculars in the future (after using them without a tripod first).

I hope to buy that Zhumel Z8 in a few weeks. Is there any difference between ordering from Amazon (I have amazon prime) or highpointscientific.com ?

Larry 1969, I am looking at eye pieces now. However, I do not think I'd buy a new eyepiece until I use the eyepieces that come with the Z8 itself. Thanks for the idea !
This is a good idea to observe with stock EPs for awhile. I have purchased telescopes and other astro stuff from Amazon in the past. It is as save as buying from HPS. Both could screw up on occasion, but both have good return policies.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
smccarthy
Earth Ambassador

Post by smccarthy »

The Zhumell Z8 seems to be out of stock everywhere now. Is buying the Aperura AD8 the same exact scope ? Or should I wait for the Zhumell Z8 to be back in stock?

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

smccarthy wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:46 pm The Zhumell Z8 seems to be out of stock everywhere now. Is buying the Aperura AD8 the same exact scope ? Or should I wait for the Zhumell Z8 to be back in stock?
There are might be some differences in supplied accessories, but yes, Apertura is the same scope. Made for Zhumell and HPS by GSO.