Looking For a Different Setup

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Looking For a Different Setup

Post by Sky Tinker »

For the long run, this is one of the best EQ5-class go-to mounts; for imaging primarily, and overkill for visual-use of course...

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Orion-S ... 116276.uts

This, a souped-up go-to Meade LX70, incognito as an ES EXOS-2...

https://www.astronomics.com/explore-sci ... drive.html

The previous EXOS-2 go-to was the first incarnation, and is currently going the way of the Dodo...

https://optcorp.com/products/explore-sc ... 2IQAvD_BwE

Incidentally, a camera's sensor is much more sensitive than the human eye. During a timed exposure, far more light is collected. But a camera will not tolerate a shaky mount. A camera must be held rigidly, like a rock, and during the length of the exposure; else, the images will blur. The human eye and brain are much more forgiving of shaky images; but a camera will have none of that.

The longer the refractor, in relation to its mount, the shakier the telescope...

https://www.astronomics.com/astro-tech- ... l?___SID=U

That one is a for a good balance between imaging and visual-use.

This one is suited for imaging even more so... https://www.astronomics.com/astro-tech- ... l?___SID=U

Again, a camera's "eye" is far more sensitive, therefore large apertures are not needed, as they are for the weak human eye.

Refractors are the easiest with which to image. Newtonians are perhaps the most difficult, but quite doable.
"Look, son! Up there!" His son shouted back, "I see it! What is it?" The father regaled, "The galaxy! Andromeda! Our origin, our destiny!" And so the boy was hooked, and for the rest of his natural life.

"Desserts tend to corrupt, and absolutely delicious desserts corrupt absolutely." - Chef Acton

Alan :Astronomer1:

Apochromat: Takahashi FS-102 4" f/8 - Achromats: Meade S102 102mm f/5.9, Antares 805 80mm f/6(flocked & blackened), Meade "Polaris" 70mm f/12.9, Sears(Towa) #4-6340 50mm f/12(flocked & blackened) - Newtonians: Orion 6" f/5(flocked & blackened) - Catadioptrics: Explore Scientific 127mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain, Celestron "PowerSeeker" 127mm f/8 "Bird Jones" reflector(modified, flocked, blackened, and collimated!) - Mounts: Meade LX70(EQ-5), Astro-Tech Voyager I alt-azimuth
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Skytiner and Ozman, if I were to invest in one of those mounts with the goto system to automatically track stars, a f/7 or f/6 refractor, and a decent DSLR or OSC camera, that will be good to learn AP in light pollution? (increasing my budget to around $1500)

Keep in mind guys, I'm not trying to get the greatest quality photos... I'm just wondering if it is worth it to increase my budget from $800 to $1500 for AP. I know the images won't be great by your standards, but will the quality be worth the extra cost?

I know AP is possible in light-polluted areas without spending $10,000 dollars. I've seen AWESOME pictures (by my standards) of people doing it with OSC cameras or DSLR's. I know I will be limited to the brightest DSO's in my backyard, but that's is okay with me. Again, not trying to hit NASA's front page.
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

It's very good that you are taking your time in deciding upon a suitable kit, and for the journey ahead; perhaps even better than you realise. Consider getting this book, and also before deciding...

Your local library may have a copy of it. Imaging planets is another animal however. There are quite a few different objects in the sky, and each requires a specific imaging telescope, aperture-and-focal-length-wise(not so much design-wise).

Let's say that you're set up with a 4" f/7 ED refractor on a go-to mount. You pop in an eyepiece, and you direct the telescope to, say, M51, the Whirlpool galaxy. But you can't see it, even with your lowest power eyepiece. Ah, but you then attach a camera, and have its "eye" focussed upon what is to your eye a greyish, blank part of the sky. Let's say that the camera focusses upon the area for about 20 minutes as the mount tracks what is to your eye the invisible M51. And then the camera's shutter closes. You then take out the SD-card and run into the house to the PC.

What will you see once you bring that mystery image up within a program; a blank space, or a glittering jewel?

Of course you can perform astrophotography under an illuminated dome. That's why so many people do it in the first place, and because they can't see much with their eyes and eyepieces, even with an 8" "Dobsonian".
"Look, son! Up there!" His son shouted back, "I see it! What is it?" The father regaled, "The galaxy! Andromeda! Our origin, our destiny!" And so the boy was hooked, and for the rest of his natural life.

"Desserts tend to corrupt, and absolutely delicious desserts corrupt absolutely." - Chef Acton

Apochromat: Takahashi FS-102 4" f/8 - Achromats: Meade S102 102mm f/5.9, Antares 805 80mm f/6(flocked & blackened), Meade "Polaris" 70mm f/12.9, Sears(Towa) #4-6340 50mm f/12(flocked & blackened) - Newtonians: Orion 6" f/5(flocked & blackened) - Catadioptrics: Explore Scientific 127mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain, Celestron "PowerSeeker" 127mm f/8 "Bird Jones" reflector(modified, flocked, blackened, and collimated!) - Mounts: Meade LX70(EQ-5), Astro-Tech Voyager I alt-azimuth
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

I will look into that book, thanks!

I have been doing TONS of research on it (I can't stop, definitely got the bug)

I have even noticed that I can see more with my iPhone by turning up the exposure and ISO, than I can with my eye, in my backyard. With my current 130 SLT I can baaaareeeely see DSOs and some detail in planets. When I mess with the settings on my phone and zoom in, I see a ton more.

I don't really care about shooting planets (there's not that many of them anyway). It would be cool to be able to see them, but I am mostly interested in shooting DSOs, in the best quality for the price range.
-James W.

Ozman
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Ozman »

If you get an AVX and an 80mm APO refractor, you will be able to take EXCELLENT pictures of DSOs. You will later be able to add an auto-guider and GREATLY increase the possible exposure time. The smaller aperture will make dim DSOs more difficult to see visually, but the premium APO optics make the scope a joy to use visually and can handle more magnification per aperture than the average scope. It will provide a superior planetary view.

Of course you could also later add a larger aperture scope for visual use on the mount if you wanted.
AD12, 8" LX200ACF, 120 Skywatcher, ES 102CF APO, AR102, ST100, 90mm Mak, ST80, 60ETX
Oberwerk BT-82XL-ED, 25x100s, 15x70s, 8x56s, Kasai 2.3x40s, Celestron AVX, CG4, SLT, LCM
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Now you are in the ball park! I have a 5" F/7.5 triplet but like my 6" F/4.8 Mak Newt better, and it is much cheaper. Flat field, add a cheap Fuji X-a1 body, put an AVX under it and you are set for $1600, not counting the camera - maybe you have a DSLR already. The Mak-Newt MN 152/Comet Hunter is very cost effective and good, do a bit of searching and you will find good reviews. Good for visual too. Note the low F ratio, you will get an image much quicker than with an F/7 Apo or doublet. And those will need a field flattener too.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Another option, a $640 apo on a $360 iEXOS-100 mount from Explore Scientific. The mount is a bit of an unknown, read the reviews but it could be viable. An AVX is much less of a risk - many have one with success - but it would require you to increase the budget again because it is $900 by itself. And, the apo absolutely requires a field flattener. I have one so I know.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

I do not have a DSLR right now, but I should get one in the next month or so (I'll make a separate post to get some recommendations for that, this is already a really long post lol) I am also not worried about seeing faint DSO's visually, I just want to be able to do all this from the backyard, if possible

AVX mount, is that the Celestron Advanced VX EQ mount for $899.99? (# 91519)

A field flattener is another $200, right? I should buy that with the camera, right?

Then the auto-guider--should I invest in that now, or get experience with a motor drive and short exposures first?

Is there a link you guys can share for the 80mm APO refractor that can keep me around my new budget?

I'm getting really close guys I can feel it...
-James W.

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

It’s good you’re getting close, because we only give you 70 posts in a thread.

Just kidding. :D :lol:
AVX mount, is that the Celestron Advanced VX EQ mount for $899.99? (# 91519)
Yes

It would be best if you spent a month or two using the scope visually, let your pocketbook recover, then let’s go after some more game AP gear after that.

If you want a DSLR sooner, I highly recommend the Canon T3i as the camera of choice. I own two of them. Right now used, for the body only, they are around $250. Both of mine were purchased used and functioning perfectly.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Well, here's the thing, my pocket book won't necessarily recover anytime soon to be able to tack on more stuff lol so I want to make sure I get everything I need now to be able to start learning and doing basic AP. Not necessarily pro-status, but I definitely don't want to start out doing just visual astronomy (I've been doing that my whole life, and recently with a serious telescope, and I'm more satisfied getting shots with my iPhone than not being able to see much In my backyard).

AVX mount, 80 mm APO refractor... is there anything I need for the setup that I should buy now (other than accessories I can buy with the camera, like the field flattener I'm assuming), to be able to start learning and shooting when I get my camera + accessories? like an auto-guider, is that something I should invest in right now? I see they are around $300.
-James W.

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

You can postpone the autoguider if you do a good polar alignment.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I do my guiding using a $10 70mm frac from Craigslist. As long as you beef up the focuser so it doesn't slip or move then a cheap scope for a guide scope works well enough. You will also need a guide camera. Once again, from the used market. A ZWO ASI120MM or MC will work great and they are now used between $80-$100. And of course, you will need a laptop or tablet to run everything. And that should do it.

Cheers,
JT

This is from my 80mm APO on an AVX mount using a Canon T3i. It is Eta Carina nebula.
Eta Carina.jpg
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Okay so right now I should buy the $899.99 AVX mount and an 80mm APO refractor, and then everything else I should buy with the camera?

Can someone link me the 80mm APO refractor they recommend? The only one I can find is Sky-Watcher ProED 80mm Doublet APO Refractor Telescope. Is this what you are talking about or did you guys have something else in mind?
-James W.

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

JayTee wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:28 am

This is from my 80mm APO on an AVX mount using a Canon T3i. It is Eta Carina nebula.
Eta Carina.jpg
That. Looks. Amazing.
-James W.

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I use the Explore Scientific 80 mm triplet APO. On sale now for $637.

JT

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Baskevo wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:34 am Okay so right now I should buy the $899.99 AVX mount and an 80mm APO refractor, and then everything else I should buy with the camera?

Can someone link me the 80mm APO refractor they recommend? The only one I can find is Sky-Watcher ProED 80mm Doublet APO Refractor Telescope. Is this what you are talking about or did you guys have something else in mind?
That looks like a nice apo, very affordable. At F/7.5 the field might be flatter than mine, the ES ED80. Maybe you can get by without a field flattener. Amazon has lots of reviews about it, they look good but do your own research.
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Alright I think I have decided on the scope. I'm going to go with the Explore Scientific ED80 Triplet APO Refractor for $639.

I cannot decide on the mount though. I have it pinned down to:

Celestron Advanced VX Computerized Mount for $899
vs
Orion 9995 Sirius EQ-G Computerized GoTo Telescope Mount for $1099.99

Do you guys think that the GoTo function and the built-in routine polar alignment function is worth the extra $200? Because they are pretty similar otherwise, correct? Or should I save the $200 to put toward a guide system to more accurately track when I buy the camera?
-James W.

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

You've got your terms a bit mixed up. First, go read this post, it's pretty short. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=914

Secondly, both mounts are nearly identical. Both have a 30lb payload and both have goto and both have a polar alignment routine. Some would argue that the Orion is slightly better but nobody owns both of them to do a side by side comparison to see if the Orion is really worth $200 more.

If you already own a 50, 60, 70, or 80mm refractor then you already own your guide scope. All that is left is the guide camera and you can get that used for around $100.

There you go, now go out there and pull the trigger!!!

Cheers,
JT

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

AWESOME. Thank you, JayTee! I knew I was wrong in that post after watching some videos, but I was still so confused on the difference between tracking, guiding, auto guiding, etc. That was the post I was looking for this entire time!

Alright! I'm going to do it tomorrow. Thank you all so much for all of your help and for baring with my questions lol I really do appreciate it! I'm sure I will have a lot more questions for your guys once I get my setup and purchase a camera :D

Clear skies, all!
-James W.

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

Before deciding on the mount, research user-reviews of each one. There have been problems reported with the AVX. It has a lot of helpful, computerised bells and whistles for the price, but the mechanical construction should also be taken into consideration. The DEC-axis of the AVX has been known to stick, for example, and via its simple, flat washer.