Oh Happy Day Gifted a Telescope

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Roverich
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Oh Happy Day Gifted a Telescope

Post by Roverich »

Check Amazon. . They have one for 37 dollars. Says 17 in stock
Current scopes 16in night sky dobsonian , 80mm synta refractor on a slik professional tripod with a stellarvue m1 mount Meade series 4000 eyepieces. Meade 70mm binoculars. Keep looking up.

In route. Astrotech 102ed refractor :sprefac:
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Roverich wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:15 pm Check Amazon. . They have one for 37 dollars. Says 17 in stock
Is this the one you are referring too?

If it is it has a plastic base Im not sure I want to go with that,however after reading the reviews One guy said it fit thru the existing hole in his scope .
Attachments
E5EB092E-8897-423F-97CF-6071FF756C76.jpeg
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Roverich
Moon Ambassador

Post by Roverich »

Yes that's the one. I just looked at orions site and the pic there looks like it's metal but it says durable plastic .. Also in stock at .Orion it says
Current scopes 16in night sky dobsonian , 80mm synta refractor on a slik professional tripod with a stellarvue m1 mount Meade series 4000 eyepieces. Meade 70mm binoculars. Keep looking up.

In route. Astrotech 102ed refractor :sprefac:
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Roverich wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:10 am Yes that's the one. I just looked at orions site and the pic there looks like it's metal but it says durable plastic .. Also in stock at .Orion it says
Thank you I really appreciate your help.
I just took the plunge with the company in China seeing as that was the only option for the all metal one and I would have to wait either way so just keeping my fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong and that it eventually gets here.
Attachments
ECD7D6C2-9BF6-4472-9FEC-4DFFFEDF1F99.jpeg
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

UPDATE : The Focuser that I ordered from China finally came in it looks pretty good!
I’m glad I waited it was $25 for the same focuser that they wanted stateside for 50 bucks!
I just gotta wait till My tenants dub Sony and comes in so I’ll have some interviews through and then I’ll start cutting a bigger hole in the tube for the new focuser.
I have to Laugh made in China,comes with no “destructions “ not that I need them for this but not even any hardware to mount it no blogs and nuts ,how do you like that!
Attachments
2C41DC93-BE23-42F8-80FD-D570C792F33C.jpeg
1431D28D-EABC-43DF-823E-83D80403138C.jpeg
07B399E1-3A0F-4FBA-8F32-C4F8E746ECD9.jpeg
F7E668E6-59DD-496C-A20C-79407EE3316B.jpeg
Last edited by Frankskywatcher on Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Not a bad deal for 25 smackers, but not any nuts/bolts? Wow, I guess focuser meant just that and nothing else :lol:

Should be easy enough though; hoping it goes well!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Thanks for the reply and funny you say that because the old focuser that’s on it now only has three screws and nuts .
I’m looking also at the angle as to how it’s going to sit on the light bucket.
I will have to take a file and file all of the inside of it out to make it more snug to the circumference of the tube it’ll be interesting.
I’m not gonna do anything now until my tenant stab somebody in the back or it gets here so I have something to always view through then I’m gonna start working on it .

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Looks good, Frank! Filing stuff and finding screws to fit is part of the hobby. :) Enjoy and take your time.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:33 am Looks good, Frank! Filing stuff and finding screws to fit is part of the hobby. :) Enjoy and take your time.
You are correct sir!
I took it and laid it on the tube,looks like I might have to file some of it down that and the hardware but like you said that’s half the fun!
Thank you again for that wonderful gift it’s getting used !

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

How different are the curves between the focuser base and tube?
You may want to make a spacer out of felt or foam instead of filing the focuser base.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:32 pm ...
I will have to take a file and file all of the inside of it out to make it more snug to the circumference of the tube it’ll be interesting.

I'd suggest using JB Weld putty (the stuff that comes as a stick, not the stuff in the tubes). Put a piece of waxed paper against the scope tube and put the JB Weld onto the focuser tube being careful not to get any putty on the inside of the focuser assembly. Press the two together, clean around the edges and let it set. Then remove the focuser and take off the waxed paper and you should have something with an almost perfect fit yet can still be removed if needed.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Thank you to both of you both are great suggestions between the felt and the JDWeld sticks I’ll be doing something !
I don’t really wanna have to grind down the focuser BUT meanwhile back at the ranch I got great news today MY SCOPE HAS SHIPPED !
Attachments
A4FC3933-2741-4B7E-ABAC-1CB9545CD15E.jpeg

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars