Stopping the aperture of my scope

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Michael131313 Mexico
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

Stopping the aperture of my scope

Post by Michael131313 »

Do you think that stopping the aperture of my AR102 by making a mask would be beneficial in viewing bright objects or any object? Thanks very much for your opinions.
ES AR 102 102mm, f/6.5, ES 254mm f/5 DOB, Obie 10x50, GSO SV 30mm, ES 68° 20mm, ES 82° 14mm, 11mm, 8.8 mm, 6.8mm, 4.7mm. Twilight 1 mount.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Stopping the aperture of my scope

Post by Bigzmey »

For nights of average seeing it might produce better views of Moon and planets.

80mm is a good mask to try, it will turn your scope to F8. Easy to make from cardboard.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
The Wave Catcher United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by The Wave Catcher »

Yes! I have Bresser 102 mm, f/4.5 achromatic refractor and I built an aperture mask from an old plastic yogurt lid. I cut a 60 mm hole in it. I really thought my telescope had very little chromatic aberration but the mask does wonders. My fast refractor is designed and works best for low power views of comets and large DSOs. The mask turns it into a pretty good planetary telescope too. My views of the Moon, planets, and double stars are exceptional with the mask. I call it my “poor man’s apochromatic” telescope.

Here is a photo of my mask after cutting and painting (still has masking tape):

Here is the mask in use:
Steve Yates

Astro-Tech AT102ED, 102 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Astro-Tech AT80ED, 80 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Bresser AR102s, 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor

Explore Scientific Twilight I Alt/Az Mount
Bresser Nano Alt/Az Mount
The Wave Catcher United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by The Wave Catcher »

I used the following “CA Cart for Telescope” to help me select an aperture size that met the Sidgwick standard for CA.

https://www.cloudynights.com/uploads/g ... _27450.jpg
Steve Yates

Astro-Tech AT102ED, 102 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Astro-Tech AT80ED, 80 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Bresser AR102s, 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor

Explore Scientific Twilight I Alt/Az Mount
Bresser Nano Alt/Az Mount
Michael131313 Mexico
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Michael131313 »

Thank you very much Bigzmey.
Thanks Steve for your help and instructions. I am going to make one and try it out.
ES AR 102 102mm, f/6.5, ES 254mm f/5 DOB, Obie 10x50, GSO SV 30mm, ES 68° 20mm, ES 82° 14mm, 11mm, 8.8 mm, 6.8mm, 4.7mm. Twilight 1 mount.
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

I made one from the bottom of a black plastic oil drain pan from a dollar store. Check there if your yogurt container isn't big enough.
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

The aperture mask on an achromatic refractor will reduce the spherochromatism (Gaussian error in optics), which is to a large extent due to the intrafocal marginal rays of light.
Ninety years ago, the designers at CZJ have found out a rule of thumb, like 1 devided by the square root of 2, as an optimum aperture mask downsizing to reduce the spherochromatism, but still balancing the gain with the loss of resolution.

An application of the Sidgwick matrix to masking the aperture may be misleading, because masking the aperture has no effect on the longitudinal chromatic aberration, masking changes the Zeiss RC-value of an refractor, making the longitudinal CA less visible. The math backgrounds are in the wave properties of light, and specifically thanks to the Fourier optics, the Fourier integrals somehow kicked down the road by Sidgwick, and lots of others.
Otherwise, our telescopes would be looking like German Makkaroni, I mean not the Italian Maccheroni,
https://www.gustini.ch/blog/wp-content/ ... gleich.jpg

Hoping, this helps,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
Michael131313 Mexico
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Michael131313 »

Thanks so much JG. I am going to use the CZJ formula to make my mask.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Does your AR objective dust cover have a smaller cap on it? Both my ST80 and ST120 have an extra removable cap in the middle of the dust cover that I can pull off to stop down the aperture.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

pakarinen wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:16 pm Does your AR objective dust cover have a smaller cap on it? Both my ST80 and ST120 have an extra removable cap in the middle of the dust cover that I can pull off to stop down the aperture.
Synta does it for their achro fracs, but not ES.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Michael131313 Mexico
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Michael131313 »

Thanks for answering for me Bigzmey. I am running late today. It would be a nice addition if they did.
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

I'm dubious about this because it reduces the resolution, as well as well as the brightness. For photography, you cam remove chromatic aberration by photo processing. You can use filters to reduce it for visual use. At one time, I used sunglasses to view bright objects through telescopes (doesn't work with the SUN!!!). Instead I bought a moon filter and variable polarising filter, which also work on Jupiter and Venus.

BTW, I like your avatar with your dog. We have two.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Baurice wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:28 am I'm dubious about this because it reduces the resolution, as well as well as the brightness. For photography, you cam remove chromatic aberration by photo processing. You can use filters to reduce it for visual use. At one time, I used sunglasses to view bright objects through telescopes (doesn't work with the SUN!!!). Instead I bought a moon filter and variable polarising filter, which also work on Jupiter and Venus.

As JG indicated stopping down the aperture is a balance between controlling the glare and optics aberrations, and loss of resolution. While it may appear counterintuitive, you may improve the views of bright targets (Moon and planets) and resolve more fine details. Typically, it is most effective on larger fast scopes (DOBs, achro fracs). I would not stop down a well configured APO or Mak.

There is danger in using filters to. If they are not of good quality you loose fine details due to light scatter on filters. I have stopped using polarizing filters because with samples I had from Orion and GSO I clearly saw loss of resolution and contrast at high powers.

Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:46 pm
Baurice wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:28 am I'm dubious about this because it reduces the resolution, as well as well as the brightness. For photography, you cam remove chromatic aberration by photo processing. You can use filters to reduce it for visual use. At one time, I used sunglasses to view bright objects through telescopes (doesn't work with the SUN!!!). Instead I bought a moon filter and variable polarising filter, which also work on Jupiter and Venus.

As JG indicated stopping down the aperture is a balance between controlling the glare and optics aberrations, and loss of resolution. While it may appear counterintuitive, you may improve the views of bright targets (Moon and planets) and resolve more fine details. Typically, it is most effective on larger fast scopes (DOBs, achro fracs). I would not stop down a well configured APO or Mak.

There is danger in using filters to. If they are not of good quality you loose fine details due to light scatter on filters. I have stopped using polarizing filters because with samples I had from Orion and GSO I clearly saw loss of resolution and contrast at high powers.
I have a Mak.
WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

I only mask for two reasons: to cut down on CA when using an achromat, or to make larger more aesthetic spurious disks on stars when observing double stars. The latter is also good for getting a more stable star when the seeing is less than desirable. Sometimes I will mask all the way down to 55mm, although 65-80mm is more likely. At 55mm even Sirius is almost always a nice pure white star with a completely stable airy disk pattern!
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

pakarinen wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:16 pm Does your AR objective dust cover have a smaller cap on it? Both my ST80 and ST120 have an extra removable cap in the middle of the dust cover that I can pull off to stop down the aperture.
My Sky Watcher ED80 has one on the dust cover. Now I know what it's for. :)
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro