Oh Happy Day Gifted a Telescope

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Oh Happy Day Gifted a Telescope

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:48 pm In your last image, the plate between the focuser knobs held in place by 4 screws.
Is there a bent clip under it?
This creates the proper tension between the focuser drawtube and knobs. Do not tighten it all the way down.
The tube can jam or the helical gear teeth can break if to much tension is placed on them.
Whoa I was wondering about that I don’t have them suer tight , and like I said the worm gear travels 90% it just slips a bit near the end.
Attachments
2EB323E7-3F98-4E66-BBED-83DD13089EB8.jpeg
41EF8D45-3459-4157-9F9E-297DAD2C0854.jpeg
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:30 pm
Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:48 pm In your last image, the plate between the focuser knobs held in place by 4 screws.
This creates the proper tension between the focuser drawtube and knobs. Do not tighten it all the way down.
The tube can jam or the helical gear teeth can break if to much tension is placed on them.
What Gabby says!

Also, if you would like to replace straight through finder, Celestron 51630 Star Pointer Telescope Finderscope comes with several different adapters and one of them will fit your scope.

Oh Happy Day thanks for the link !
Tomorrow no rain and I will have time to get it out side and see if I can at least get it going lining stuff up !
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

There should be a bent thin metal plate plate under the plate with the 4 screws, that is what applys the proper pressure on the helical gears so the drawtube moves smoothly without sliding up or down.
I would take a picture but I a not at home.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:59 pm
Whoa I was wondering about that I don’t have them suer tight , and like I said the worm gear travels 90% it just slips a bit near the end.
Sounds like you got it right Frank. Next step would be to try to achieve focus on some daytime target: treetop, poll, chimney, etc. You can even try from within the house through a window. Use 25mm EP.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

Hi Frank:
Just a little suggestion with terminology so everyone understands what's being referred to. The focuser gears are called a rack and pinion. The rack is the straight part while the pinion is the little round gear on the shaft. The thing you look through to aim the scope is a finder. It might be the red dot finder you mention, or a finder scope, or even just a couple of points on the scope body for sighting like a gun sight. Those are all finders. While it is possible to have a spotting scope for a finder, the term "spotting scope" usually refers to an independent instrument used on its own. Bird watchers and target shooters use them a lot, and they are handy for us when we just want a "grab and go" unit to use.

Nevertheless, you'll have some fun with this scope.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

gregl wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:53 am Hi Frank:
Just a little suggestion with terminology so everyone understands what's being referred to. The focuser gears are called a rack and pinion. The rack is the straight part while the pinion is the little round gear on the shaft. The thing you look through to aim the scope is a finder. It might be the red dot finder you mention, or a finder scope, or even just a couple of points on the scope body for sighting like a gun sight. Those are all finders. While it is possible to have a spotting scope for a finder, the term "spotting scope" usually refers to an independent instrument used on its own. Bird watchers and target shooters use them a lot, and they are handy for us when we just want a "grab and go" unit to use.

Nevertheless, you'll have some fun with this scope.
Thanks buddy and you are right I have a spotting scope for the range and should not be confusing calling the finder that !🙄
Same with the rack and pinion I gotta remember this stuff, I hope there won’t be a test !😁

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Yes the 'test' will be when you finally try to use it for its intended use
Good luck
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
MartinF Sweden
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MartinF »

What a great gift! :) The best thing about free stuff is that you don´t have to be as careful with it :D
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/FotografMartinF
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

UPDATE :::
I took the telescope outside this morning and even though it’s only 34 here and very windy I managed to line up the finder perfectly with the scope.
I picked a road sign way down the road and “zeroed” them both in on that object !
Here’s a question I hope can be answered.
I know the image will be upside down in the finder BUT is it also supposed to be up side down in the eye piece ?
I am assuming it makes no different when looking at something ( like the moon which I assume would make no difference,right side up or up side down but I just want to be sure.
The mirrors seem to be aligned ok but without having a laser to align the Mirrors I am afraid to play around with them as they seem ok .
I could buy a laser but I’m going to be getting one anyway in March when my 10” dob arrives so I don’t want to buy one when I have one coming with the new scope.
I guess I will find out tonight with the full moon !
I must say again thank you everyone for your help and I hope someone can answer my question about the upside down image in the scope itself before the full moon arrives tonight 😁
Attachments
5AB1B80E-B7C9-4DFC-8F57-49BB95F21ED4.jpeg
AC98885C-E5C1-4644-944B-C5297D0E00DF.jpeg
Last edited by Frankskywatcher on Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

That's great! Yes, image in both finer and scope will be upside down and flipped left to right. It will get some time getting used to navigate with reversed image but it will become natural with practice.

You are right, when you look at space targets it does not matter, since there is no up or down in space.

I agree, don't warry about collimation for now, try Moon, Jupiter, some stars and see how the views are.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Good luck on the "first light" experience. What fun!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Here we go so pumped to look at the moon thru my free telescope!
Hooray it works looking at the moon in detail, I feel like a school boy !!
Attachments
1F3608B7-8382-413A-9CE7-809928D3EEEE.jpeg
25D16848-6CE6-4490-9211-31B693462A16.jpeg

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats Frank! Try Jupiter next, before it is gone this season.

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:46 am Congrats Frank! Try Jupiter next, before it is gone this season.
Thanks my friend,still on the “shake down cruise” with the telescope lol but I did look at it with my naked eye and thought to myself can’t wait to zero in on that.
I did manage to look at the moon in pretty good detail using a HI 2.5mm but I don’t know what that is relation to the other two EP’s I have which are H25mm and SR 4mm those and a 3Xbarlow that I have no idea how to even use though I do get the concept of the 3 times magnification.
Thanks for the encouragement I got a long way to go but it’s awesome !😁
Attachments
7215FCA7-1B51-45DB-A92F-22A035D5FA9E.jpeg
3BEEB83D-5A0A-4E55-AE5E-2CF77D5E529D.jpeg
75BAC37A-D4A1-4029-A086-2DBE40BBA9CE.jpeg
7E4DB3D4-6572-48DB-A4A0-CAE3CFF49FA5.jpeg

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

The focal length of this telescope is 1000mm
So magnification is Focal length/eyepiece length

So 4mm is 250x
12.5mm is 80x
25mm is 40x

The Barlow one end into the focuser and the eyepiece into the other end and then all the above will be 3x more

The 4mm will probably only work on the moon its way too much for that scope

The 3x Barlow is pretty useless in that scope , may work ok with the 25mm

But you must try them all and see

Good luck
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Richard wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:04 am The focal length of this telescope is 1000mm
So magnification is Focal length/eyepiece length

So 4mm is 250x
12.5mm is 80x
25mm is 40x

The Barlow one end into the focuser and the eyepiece into the other end and then all the above will be 3x more

The 4mm will probably only work on the moon its way too much for that scope

The 3x Barlow is pretty useless in that scope , may work ok with the 25mm

But you must try them all and see

Good luck
Thanks for the info I was using the 12.5 ( I thought it read H I 2.5) and that was the only one that I could “ see” with clearly the other two were just blurred, I am assuming they were too strong .
I also noticed that the plastic “ straight thru” view finder is a joke .
I zeroed the mirror in against the finder and of course as soon as it got dark and I started moving the scope it went right out of alignment.
I am going to get a different one as suggested by Bigsmey but having a blast with this thing,I was out there till I couldn’t feel my feet anymore.
Still a few bugs to work out but man it’s so much fun !
Thanks for your insight !

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Glad you are having fun that is the most important
No The H 25 should be the best so perhaps its dirty , these are very old eyepieces .965 format with has not been used for years , probably 25+ years but I may be wrong (some really cheap scopes for kinds still use them) , one can get really good ones like the Orthos etc which give a better eye relief and great view (I use one sometimes in my Tasco T10)
When you eventually get your 10 inch dobs it will use 1.25 format and will open things up for you .
I used to have a similar scope , but much older it was a Tasco the OTA was same as yours but I played around with it , putting it on a Dobs base adding another finder etc , but I never changed the focuser as it was just too much money here in RSA and all those converters dont work as there is not focus travel, but unfortunately was never a great, or good scope so gave it away , BUT WAS FUN
I still have a picture of it
Attachments
IMG_1325.JPG
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Thanks Richard for your response I appreciate it.
Yeah I’m surprised I thought the H 25MM would work the best too it was the first one I use but everything was all blurry and I’m surprised because the one that works the best what is the H 12.5 MM.
The H25mm was blurry and so was the SR 4 MM.
I have since cleaned all of them with a Q-tip and I’ll try them again tonight but I could see the moon pretty well with the H 12 five MM not super detailed like not down into craters but could see all the media impacts in that big one down at the bottom that has the long streaks to go away from it I could see all that clearly but I couldn’t really zoom in anymore than that I guess it’s a learning curve!
I like what you do with that scope and yes I can’t wait for the 10 inch one to get here I just got a notification today they said near the end of February which is what the guy on the phone had told me when I ordered it.
I’m sure this will keep me busy and Bigzmey send me a link for a laser scope and I’ve already ordered that?
The “ straight through “plastic one with the six little set screws is useless.
I had it lined up perfectly during the day and of course at night I leaned forward bumped into it with my eye when I was trying to look for through it and it threw it off .
I zeroed it back in again on the moon itself but it was never just right,it’s just too flimsy it’s just cheap plastic junk!

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

When your scope arrives there will be a couple of decent eyepieces, the GSO 30mm Superview (Erfle) in a 2" barrel and a 1.25" Plossl (9mm). The Superview will yield approximately 45x, while the 9mm about 135x. The Superview may even give you kind of a floating in space effect, which is quite nice. The 9mm can be used to zero in on galaxies and globular clusters as well as the moon and planets.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Thank you Helicon that’s what I was thinking the better scope should have better EP’s.
I will say I’m having a lot of fun with this gifted one and it’s helping the learning curve .
I wish I could “ zoom “ in a little more( there is already great detail ) but I’ve found that the only EP in regards to the moon was the 12.5 and that worked well.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars