New Telescope recommendation

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Tom18202
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

New Telescope recommendation

Post by Tom18202 »

I was looking into purchasing my first telescope for myself and my 8 and 6 year old. I usually get sucked into the habbit of trying to by something too advanced earlier than I should. So i was hoping to reach out to this community to help me identify a good beginner telescope. What I think i would be looking for

1) Easy to use as my children will be using this.
2) Able to see planets (Saturns rings and jupitor coloration and moons), constellations, and the moon. Anything more would be great but to be honestly I dont know what else there is).
3) price as we are new to this hobby and are not sure if it will last.

Currently I was looking at the following telescopes if anyone has a recommendation of either of these or if there is another one out there you would recommend more.

1) Celestron - PowerSeeker 114EQ Telescope
2) Celestron - PowerSeeker 127EQ Telescope
3) Celestron - PowerSeeker 80EQ Telescope
4) Celestron – StarSense Explorer LT 80AZ Smartphone App-Enabled Telescope
5) Celestron – StarSense Explorer LT 114AZ Smartphone App-Enabled Telescope

Thank you again for all of your help.

Tom
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: New Telescope recommendation

Post by Star Dad »

I'm not a fan of smartphone enabled telescopes. I've tried to help a local family that bought one and your #5 is what they have. It has done some crazy things and requires a phone with a good battery. Set up is a royal pain with it - despite claims that it's a 1,2,3 setup. If you do go for one of those smartphone kits - make sure to get the hand controller. It is much more reliable.

My personal advice to get the largest aperture you can afford and skimp on the mount. A manual mount which is around $50 on amazon is suitable for most family events. I have both fully auto trackers and manual mounts. Manual mounts will get you to learn the sky better and faster. Automatic means more setup time, batteries, but allows hands-off tracking once you've got your mount leveled and aligned. I use my powered mounts for outreach events - I cannot afford to have to constantly adjust the mount to keep an object in view - and yet from time to time I do have trouble even with it if someone bumps the scope too hard - or it's not perfectly level.

For viewing planets you'll want long focal length - 2,000mm or long longer. For Deep sky objects you'll want shorter focal lengths <= 1000 preferably. So it's a decision one has to make. Frankly there are so many objects to view that planetary (IMHO) viewing is a secondary goal for me. But also take into account where you are - near a city with lots of light pollution? Then maybe planetary would be a better focus. Less pollution / darker skies then deep sky objects would be a better goal.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Welcome on board Tom!
There is a recent thread with exactly the same question you are asking and plenty of feedback.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21885
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

Welcome to the forum!

I used to have the 127 powerseeker. It was easy to use, and you can make out the rings of Saturn, the moons of Jupiter, The moon, and bright deep sky objects. I would recommend that.

If you’re going to look at the moon, though. I would recommend getting a moon filter also. It blocks out some of the moons light making it easier to look at.
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ARock »

I would recommend the following scopes. Be warned that they are in line with your tendency of getting advanced things earlier :)

1. The AWB One Sky ($250) if you need something portable. This could be taken on a camping trip to dark sky areas. Its a table top dob, so you need a table or stool to put it on.
A longish thread about it at
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/4631 ... t-borders/

2. If portability is of no concern a 6" or 8" Dobsonian. These are more expensive, but are lifetime scopes. A bit heavy for the kids to operate on their own now, so you have to help set it up. The younger kid might need a stool to get up to height of the eyepiece.

A larger aperture scope just shows you more objects. The Dobsonian mount is the cheapest possible way to get a large aperture.

A book I would highly recommend with any scope you buy is "Turn Left At Orion". It tells you what targets are visible in small scopes and how to find them in the night sky. As well as a free planetarium software on desktops/laptops called Stellarium.

Good Luck with whatever you buy.
AR
Scopes: Zhumell Z8, Meade Adventure 80mm, Bushnell 1300x100 Goto Mak.
Mount: ES EXOS Nano EQ Mount, DIY Arduino+Stepper drives.
AP: 50mm guidescope, AR0130 based guidecam, Canon T3i, UHC filter.
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

ARock wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:10 am I would recommend the following scopes. Be warned that they are in line with your tendency of getting advanced things earlier :)

1. The AWB One Sky ($250) if you need something portable. This could be taken on a camping trip to dark sky areas. Its a table top dob, so you need a table or stool to put it on.
A longish thread about it at
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/4631 ... t-borders/

2. If portability is of no concern a 6" or 8" Dobsonian. These are more expensive, but are lifetime scopes. A bit heavy for the kids to operate on their own now, so you have to help set it up. The younger kid might need a stool to get up to height of the eyepiece.

A larger aperture scope just shows you more objects. The Dobsonian mount is the cheapest possible way to get a large aperture.

A book I would highly recommend with any scope you buy is "Turn Left At Orion". It tells you what targets are visible in small scopes and how to find them in the night sky. As well as a free planetarium software on desktops/laptops called Stellarium.

Good Luck with whatever you buy.
Stellarium is pretty good for learning about constellations and how they move from day to day and hour to hour.
It has, however, also more advanced features too, but the basic use is quite simple, and there's a lot of help available.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

I dont recommend any of the scopes from tour choice
Either a 6 or 8 inch dobs or a 90 to 127 mac if portability is important , advantage of the Mac is that if you dont like this hobby then they are great spotting scopes , the dobs is only for astronomy
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I'll recommend this book to go with TLAO:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/monthl ... 1103025647

It has nice monthly sky maps and they focus on areas of interest in more detail like the belt of Orion, etc. It also has a decent correct image moon map.

I bought a used copy for under $10 at Half Price Books. It's older, so the monthly planet positions are all out of date, but you can pull that from any number of places on the Web.

Enjoy!
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Gfamily Wales
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Gfamily »

I'd second ARock's suggestions - in particular the AWB - also available as the SkyWatcher Heritage 130P.
I see it being a table top scope as being an advantage, as it is easier to get smaller people to the eyepiece.
As far as the 8 year old is concerned, the Heritage will be one that they'll be able to manage more independently.
LS8 Meade SCT, SW 127 Mak, 72mm Lightwave Refractor
Star Adventurer
AZ Gti mount
www.midcheshireastro.co.uk for astro company
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

I've always thought that an 8 inch dobsonian is an excellent introductory scope. Enough aperture to show you good stuff and simplicity in setup and operation. I am 67 yrs old and can carry one of those around quite easily in two pieces (the tube and base). A little learning curve as is the case with any scope, plus its not really the best choice if one wants to fiddle around with taking basic images. But for gaining experience and learning the sky, it is a fine piece of equipment.

It just so happens that High Point Scientific just got the Zhumell Z8 back in stock. If interested you can check it out here:

https://www.highpointscientific.com/tel ... %3D.W3fn9t
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

So you have enough advises to choose from.
Like Turboscrew I highly recommend the free planetarium and star / constellation program https://stellarium.org/
It is a very realistic planetarium program, free download on your computer. Views are very realistic. You can see what is up tonight on your location, change directions, go forward and backwards in time, zoom in, zoom out, see details or the whole sky, find deepsky objects, find constellations, find Moon and planets ( accurately detailed ) and many other things.You can plan ahead your observations. One can even play with it. A sort of map / atlas , but interactive. Many amateurs all over the world use it. Highly recommended. Binoculars always come in handy.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.