At what brightness does the Moon really start to affect DSO AP

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

At what brightness does the Moon really start to affect DSO AP

Post by chris_g »

Hello all,

A rather simple question or perhaps not. At what brightness level does the Moon really begin to affect DSO AP? Are there any filters that can help to limit it. I know that would be kind of difficult when it's glowing white since white is all colors combined. I've seen moon filters that lower the brightness though those are advertised as visual aides.

Thanks for any thoughts...

Clear Skies!
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: At what brightness does the Moon really start to affect DSO AP

Post by Bigzmey »

I am not into AP, but most of my astro club members are. I know a couple of guys who shoot on occasion emission nebulae using OIII and H-beta filters even when Moon is up. Other than that when Moon is up our dark site is deserted, nobody shooting.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Chris,

You are shooting OSC and there sure are some options.

I get marginal results when I shoot broadband even with a lp filter (I use a IDAS LPS D-1 as it works well with Na vapor lighting).

With my Optolong L-eNhance, I get pretty decent results (to me anyway) even with a very bright moon.

A recent image of the Heart nebula imaged over two partial nights with a 95% and 90% illuminated moon.

I have heard that the Optolong L-eXtreme is even better, but I am happy with the results from the L-eNhance.

IC1805 The Heart Nebula Final.jpg
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Juno16 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:58 pm Hi Chris,

I get marginal results when I shoot broadband even with a lp filter (I use a IDAS LPS D-1 as it works well with Na vapor lighting).

With my Optolong L-eNhance, I get pretty decent results (to me anyway) even with a very bright moon.

A recent image of the Heart nebula imaged over two partial nights with a 95% and 90% illuminated moon.

I have heard that the Optolong L-eXtreme is even better, but I am happy with the results from the L-eNhance.

I'm using the L-Pro, will look at the charts again and see what nm range differences are between it and the L-Enhanced. Thanks for the info and that image looks awesome.
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Juno16 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:58 pm Hi Chris,

Opt has all three charts on one page, making it easy to do the comparison

https://optcorp.com/products/optolong-l ... ter-2-inch

I looked at the L-Enhance and the L-Extreme, the L-Extreme actually block the blue and orange wave lengths where as the L-Enhance blocks just the orange. I remember now why I chose the L-Pro over the L-Enhance as it lets in more color in the higher end of the visual frequency range, orange and red, I do like color. :) I believe the L-Extreme would most likely block the Seven Sisters and their reflection nebula as they transmit primarily blue.

After reviewing those charts again, I think I would go with the L-Enhanced for imaging DSO with a bright moon in the sky. It's amazing what I've learned these past few months and I know I've only just begun to scratch the surface, thank you. Now I also understand what APT means by NB Time as it starts at astro-twilight end. Narrow band filters are blocking the moon's light was well...

Right now, I think I am going to try an imaging run in full moonlight on the Seven Sisters using the L-Pro with the same exposure and number of images as I did last time and see how it turns out, those were taken with no moon in the sky. Experimentation!!!
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

chris_g wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:42 am

I looked at the L-Enhance and the L-Extreme, the L-Extreme actually block the blue and orange wave lengths where as the L-Enhance blocks just the orange. I remember now why I chose the L-Pro over the L-Enhance as it lets in more color in the higher end of the visual frequency range, orange and red, I do like color. :) I believe the L-Extreme would most likely block the Seven Sisters and their reflection nebula as they transmit primarily blue.

After reviewing those charts again, I think I would go with the L-Enhanced for imaging DSO with a bright moon in the sky. It's amazing what I've learned these past few months and I know I've only just begun to scratch the surface, thank you. Now I also understand what APT means by NB Time as it starts at astro-twilight end. Narrow band filters are blocking the moon's light was well...

Right now, I think I am going to try an imaging run in full moonlight on the Seven Sisters using the L-Pro with the same exposure and number of images as I did last time and see how it turns out, those were taken with no moon in the sky. Experimentation!!!

Chris, you might have mentioned this before, but is your Canon astro modified?
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Juno16 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:04 am
chris_g wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:42 am

Chris, you might have mentioned this before, but is your Canon astro modified?
No it's not modified, wife would have a fit if I did that even if we don't use it any more for everyday stuff. :) And the cost for a modified Canon is about the same on EBay as what it would cost me to modify mine as well. I figured I would save my pennies and get a dedicated astro camera when I'm ready for that leap. I want a ASI 2600MM but that is a LOT of pennies and then there are the filters for even more pennies!
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Ok. Good to know.

I didn’t think of asking you about mods when I was talking about the L-eNhance and L-eXtreme. Both filters probably wouldn’t be a good choice without a Ha modded or full spectrum sensor.
Jim

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Juno16 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:46 am Ok. Good to know.

I didn’t think of asking you about mods when I was talking about the L-eNhance and L-eXtreme. Both filters probably wouldn’t be a good choice without a Ha modded or full spectrum sensor.
Good to know, I'll might end up getting a modified Canon before I get an actual astro camera, they are less expensive by far. And now I understand more about what the different modifications actually do for them.
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I'm amazed that you get such good images with a near full moon, Juno. I will have to try doing some nebulae next full moon. <chuckle> Inevitably, full moon = clear skies and new moon = total clouds. Of course lately its just been clouds. My one nights use of the L-enhance filter showed me its possibilities but I used it when the moon was not yet up over the horizon.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Star Dad wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:47 pm I'm amazed that you get such good images with a near full moon, Juno. I will have to try doing some nebulae next full moon. <chuckle> Inevitably, full moon = clear skies and new moon = total clouds. Of course lately its just been clouds. My one nights use of the L-enhance filter showed me its possibilities but I used it when the moon was not yet up over the horizon.
Check the charts on the L-Enhanced and L-Extreme, every wave length is blocked except for a very narrow band, would also block the vast majority of the moon's reflected light from the Sun up in the yellow and orange, unlike my L-Pro. APT has a time allotment in the app called Narrow Band time. It starts at astro twilight end whether the moon is up or not. Makes sense.
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Check the charts on the L-Enhanced and L-Extreme, every wave length is blocked except for a very narrow band, would also block the vast majority of the moon's reflected light from the Sun up in the yellow and orange, unlike my L-Pro. APT has a time allotment in the app called Narrow Band time. It starts at astro twilight end whether the moon is up or not. Makes sense.
Are you referring to this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_US&gl=US
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Star Dad wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:32 pm
Are you referring to this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_US&gl=US
Yes.

An excerpt from that page.
To image or observe a faint deep sky objects is needed to use the darkest time of the night. This is the time between the evening astro twilight end, the morning astro twilight beginning and when the Moon is below the horizon. In APT that time is named DSD Time - Deep Sky Darkness Time. If the imaging is through narrow band filters, the Moon is less significant factor and important is the time between the astro twilights. This time is named NB Time - Narrow Band Time.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

After researching some more for my current project, The Pleiades Star Cluster, would not benefit from a NB filter in an attempt to limit the moon's brightness, my L-Pro and a moonless sky are the best combination for my location. Also, until I have a full spectrum camera, narrow band filters would not be of great assistance either. So, for the time being I will be focusing on star clusters and constellations, I like star fields and constellations. What a better way to learn the sky! Thanks @Juno16 for the nudge in returning to what I have already looked at with the additional knowledge I've obtained since then. Knowledge is power.

Clear Skies!