Requesting advice.

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Requesting advice.

Post by Jnicholes »

Almost a full moon here. Trying to find a way to do astrophotography with the moon out. It’s becoming a hassle to do exposures with the full moon.

I found this product, and I would like to know if it will help my astrophotography while the moon is out.

What do you think? Will it help me?

Jared
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Requesting advice.

Post by MistrBadgr »

Hi Jared! :)
I hope others pitch in with their opinions, because there will probably be a broad spectrum of experiences. In general, extra light from the Moon is hard to deal with, since it is fairly broad spectrum.

Most light pollution, other than mercury vapor lamps, tends to be reddish or at least limited to a particular color range of a warmer nature. I am assuming that the filter you are considering will be more bluish by its nature or happen to block out the right frequencies somewhat. That filter may help you to a certain extent, since other light pollution besides the moon normally gets in your way anyway, and blocking some of that out will be a help whether the Moon is out or not. I have not found any of them that help as much as I expect them to, but some do help.

What I have found that helps the most is decreasing the amount of light reflecting from internal non-optical surfaces in my scopes, and building a light shroud onto the end of my scope to help block out oblique light coming from places other than from the area I am trying to view. For a refractor, blackening the ground glass circumference of the objective elements with a black Sharpie does about as much good as anything for improving a moonlit situation.

Hope this helps!
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

NO

Short answer, moon is the ultimate light polluter,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

There's not much one can do about the Moon, other than make peace with it and enjoy it for what it is.
It does offer some amazing details after all. 🌝
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

Thanks all for the advice. I will wait for the new moon for my astronomy project, then.

I need VERY dark skies for this project, anyway.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

I am not an imager, but I thought that under very light polluted conditions that B&W imaging of nebula with a hydrogen-alpha filter (and others like the Radian Triad Ultra filter and the Optolong L-eXtreme filter) could still be done since its bandwidth is so narrow.

-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

Funny, I JUST watched that video!
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I can't see your AMZ pic, but here's an option. It's Canon specific, but they probably make filters for other brands / formats like CMOS astrocams.

https://www.landseaskyco.com/altair-eos ... aps-c.html
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Embrace the moon! It is a wonderful object as well. The craters, the mare, the detail - it's all there.

Of course, it is blinding a times, and visual filters will help.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

not even a 3nm filter can save you from a full moon . :( ,when it's moon out ,it's moon time :)

when you have guest over, you must accommodate..
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

Do you know what? You guys are right. I should enjoy the moon while it’s out. My project can wait.

Tomorrow is the full moon, so I’ll get my moon filter on my eyepiece, and take some lunar photography tomorrow night.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

If you really want to shoot some DSOs with Moon out you can use narrowband filters (OIII, H-beta, etc) and try for diffuse or planetary nebulae. I saw guys in my club doing that, so I assume it works.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2407, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

Another vote for the Moon.

t is not at its best yet but Venus is in the evening sky and Jupiter and Saturn will also be in a few weeks. They can all be "snapped" when the Moon is out.