is this normal for my vision or not? night sky appearance to naked eye.

We all started somewhere! Ask your questions here. We are a friendly bunch!
realflow100
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

is this normal for my vision or not? night sky appearance to naked eye.

Post by realflow100 »

When I look up at the night sky naked eye on a perfectly clear night with no moon. and wait for a few minutes for my eyes to adjust the night sky is like a really dark dull kind of blue-ish cyan shade of color.
its faint but noticable. my area is bortle 6 or so approximately. I dont see an orange brown or yellow color in the sky anywhere.

its definitely not just straight black or gray.

Also I dont see any kind of fuzz or hazy noise in my vision when i'm in near or total darkness that ive seen people talk or ask about on the internet my vision

is my vision or eyesight just clipped darker than other peoples vision? Or does my brain just filter out noise better for some reason than other people?

Whats normal to see?
orion skyscanner 100mm F4 reflector telescope. Canon EOS 500D/rebel-T1i. ioptron Smartstar E8500R alt-az goto mount and tripod. no EQ mode limited controller options
vivitar brand 500mm F8 telephoto camera lens. canon 50mm STM F1.8
svbony ultra wide 66 degree eyepiece kit
15mm 9mm and 6mm + 40mm plossl
svbony UHC 1.25 filter a cheap ICE broadband LIPO filter
and 1% to 40% variable polaraizer filter.
maceemiller
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: is this normal for my vision or not? night sky appearance to naked eye.

Post by maceemiller »

I live in bortle 5 skies sandwiched in-between 2 towns. I can see orange light pollution north and south yet mostly the sky seems a dark grey black, if that makes sense.

Admittedly though I have on occasion seen a dark blue hue to the skies. I cant answer your question but I can say I've seen the same here in the UK
Bigzmey
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I have bortle 6 sky at home. It is always different shades of gray, never black. During dusk and down it does appear dark blue or greyish blue, but not during astronomical darkens.

Since the greyish sky color comes from light pollution the tint you will see will depend on the type of artificial lighting is used around you. I can imagine if colder LED lights are used than the sly may have bluish tint.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102 ED F7; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD F10, 8" SCT F10, 6" SCT F10, Omni XLT 150R Achro F5, Onyx 80ED F6.3; Meade: 80ST Achro F5.
Mounts: ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: Orion: Little Giant II 15x70, WorldView 10x50, Nikon: Action EX 16x50 & 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68s; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV; Russell Optics: SuperPlossls.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS silver mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: Positive lock prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S; Astronomik: UHC, Orion: UltraBlock, SkyGlow.
Observing: DSOs: 2147 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 1674, S110: 77). Doubles: 1441, Comets: 18, Asteroids: 95
pakarinen
Local Group Ambassador

Post by pakarinen »

Always shades of gray to my eye(s).
Yes, I am Chuck Finley, but all my friends call me "Wassan the Horrible"

Orion ST120, Meade ST80, Skywatcher 90mm Mak
Twilight 1 / Astro Devices encoders / Nexus II / Manfrotto 475B / Skywatcher AZ5
Nikon Aculon 10x50 / Orion Giant VIew 15x70 / US Navy 1944 Mark 30 7x50 binos

Can't get enough... of that funky stuff.
realflow100
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

is it possible I just have an especially larger portion of cone to rod receptors in my eyes?
giving me slightly more color perception in the dark than someone with more proportion of rods? since not everyone has identical number of receptors in their eyes right?

Theres basically no chance of dark adaptation where I live. Not even a small percentage. the light pollution is so bad its even worse than some bortle 9 "examples" i've seen!
orion skyscanner 100mm F4 reflector telescope. Canon EOS 500D/rebel-T1i. ioptron Smartstar E8500R alt-az goto mount and tripod. no EQ mode limited controller options
j.gardavsky
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

Hello realflow,

the aquacolor disc, or bluish-cyan disc, appears to me after I have been using brigh red light when writing the observing notes. It takes some short time to disappear, and some more time to become dark adapted again.
It is the complementary color illusion to the red light.

Another color illusion are the faint brownish skies after the dusk, but they disappear fastn. The brownish color is complementary to the dark blue skies during the dusk.

Nothing to worry about,
JG
turboscrew
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by turboscrew »

Count me in. I too see usually bluish sky. In the east, there is always a orangish/purplish light pollution. I see that same colour all over if it's a foggy night or the clouds are very low. The light pollution map says that my sky is Bortle 5, but to my knowledge, that comes from data from 2015, and there has been lot of changes. (I wish an update would happen soon.)
Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

mikemarotta
Saturn Ambassador

Post by mikemarotta »

realflow100 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:08 pm... the night sky is like a really dark dull kind of blue-ish cyan shade of color. ... Also I dont see any kind of fuzz or hazy noise in my vision ... is my vision or eyesight just clipped darker than other peoples ...
Interesting questions. I have no answers. I will note that we call color blindness "Daltonism" because it was first described by John Dalton about 1800. Aristotle did not mention it. I mean, people just get used to whatever they see or not and manage as best they do or not, but without actually investigating this empirically in a statistical population, there is no easy way to know. I believe that perception happens mostly in the brain. I know from reseach I have read that our common optical illusions are not universal. Some people around the world are not fooled at all and others just do not see the same thing as we do. They interpret the spaces and lines differently than we do. Perception is learned.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Explore Scientific 102 mm Refractor
National Geographic 70 mm Refractor
mike49mercury@gmail.com
NecessaryFacts.blogspot.com
Editor AAS History of Astronomy Division
Vice President Austin Astronomical Society
Member: ASP, BAA, SPA
----------------------------------------------------------------
gregl
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by gregl »

j.gardavsky wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:42 pm Hello realflow,

the aquacolor disc, or bluish-cyan disc, appears to me after I have been using brigh red light when writing the observing notes.

Something to note: there was an article in, I think, Sky and Telescope, some years ago re. the best color for that and it wasn't red. It was some particular wavelength of amber. And LEDs are avail. in that wavelength, but not common. Sorry I don't remember the specifics.

Anyhow, bright red is not ideal. Dim red is much better. I've been at star parties where some folks have had red lights as bright as a police spotlight and my eyes have had taken quite a time to readjust. I use a single dim led over my notebook.
realflow100
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

my star tracker alt-az goto has a red led flashlight button on it built into the controller. Kinda useful.
and a dim red backlit LCD display. adjusted brightness so its most comfortable at night without being too bright.

Return to “Beginners forum”