Adjustable diagonals ?

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
goldstar
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

Adjustable diagonals ?

Post by goldstar »

I've looked around but cannot find a diagonal with adjustments to the mirror or prism angles.
I have found that the two diagonals I own have a significant difference in that 90 degree angle.
You may ask "so what?" -but I have a set up that requires that I see the same guide star centered when swapping diags from an eyepiece to a guide camera.
A star centered in the camera can appear towards the outer FOV in the EP config.
I could just swap the EP and camera out on the same diag but it is "fiddly" for my arthritic hands with the teeny-tiny knobs close on the under side of the camera.
A flip mirror might be the answer but I just do not have spacing for it. I could also experiment with shimming the mirror/prism but that would be a PITA.
Any ideas?
Scopes: 200mm f6 DOB:CR 6 150 mm f 7.5 refractor, SW ED 80 mm f 7.5. 2 X 80 mm f7.5 guides.
Mount: AVX.
NexGuide auto guider. Cameras 3 Ti and XS modded. I optron Skytracker.
Motley EP collection.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: Adjustable diagonals ?

Post by Lady Fraktor »

If the mirror is out of collimation it may require shimming of the mirror.
Do you have a laser collimator to check them?
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: Adjustable diagonals ?

Post by Lady Fraktor »

This is the only diagonal that has collimation adjustment built into it that I can think of.
I bought my first one in 2007 and have never had to adjust it though.
https://www.stellarvue.com/quartz-diele ... -2-d1040q/
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people